5A Division I State Quarterfinal: Longview (11-2) vs Mansfield Lake Ridge (13-0)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (11-2) vs Mansfield Lake Ridge (13-0)  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Mansfield Lake Ridge in a close one
    • Mansfield Lake Ridge in a blow out

cant answer adversity question until we are in that situation, I have trust in the senior leadership (Jett etc) they can handle it

I promise we have as much experience as any team left (except Aledo)

Question: has LV had and adversity games this year? cant tell on paper

Yea...had it against Summit in the playoffs. They were very close to losing that one. A few games in the regular season too

You deserved the knee when you demanded respect. And there isn't any football to discuss. Y'all have said everything we needed to hear......"we are slow, small and inferior". So what you get, is defensive fans. (Which are not slow, small or inferior! )

GO Lobos!

I said our offense EARNED respect and they have, at least from true FOOTBALL fans not just homers trying to add an attaboy to another fellow alumni'a post. and if you feel there's not football to discuss why do you even follow or commit on the forums??? Like I said, I've never said any of those things about any team, and honestly the posters who did were just comparing schemes, players, and play styles not disrespecting your team.

[quote name="Lunatik" post="2330147"

Question: has LV had and adversity games this year? cant tell on paper

Yes, we have had adversity in season AND playoffs. Byrd for starters, Lufkin twice, Marshall, Summit for sure and Wylie. There has been no easy walk through from our side.

and for the record, I never said LV was smaller, slower or inferior, since someone keeps quoting that

I said you wont be the biggest on the field as you normally are, we match your size across the field. and we are just as fast

I did say I thought your def was slow, what I ment, was it wasn't as fast as I expected

I do think it's funny that you are telling us not to use the Poteet game as just the one game to look at when you're clearly doing that from our game against Wylie.

Yes, we have had adversity in season AND playoffs. Byrd for starters, Lufkin twice, Marshall, Summit for sure and Wylie. There has been no easy walk through from our side.

Wylie???? Say whatttt

I can't lie. I've never heard anyone refer to the Lv defense as being slow or "not as fast as expected". That's a new one. As crazy as what that horn fan said a few years ago about them only having "tradition and reputation". Kinda funny, but crazy.

loboinaggie:

im confused, yall slowed down the game so much against summit it gave them a chance to win on a field goal?

what kind of strategy is that

or did yall struggle with their defense?

We didn't even have the ball in the first quarter outside of four plays.

The only thing that stopped our offense in the 2nd half was a penalty that took away a first down on our second to final drive. And of course the play after was Ross losing his mind and running all the way back to the 15.

SMH! In this year's playoffs,I haven't seen a DFW team pull their starters YET,regardless of the score. So don't even try that one!

I will not even attempt to speak for the rest of my Lobo brethren, but I can say that NO ONE that really follows Lobo ball would even try to deny that LR doesn't deserve respect. We have all given LR their due. What will NOT happen is the Lobos laying down and/or going down without a fight. So, if you are expecting a passive team OR fanbase, you have come to the wrong place! WE ARE READY, AND WE BELIEVE!

#LOBOPROUD #BEATLAKERIDGE #ALWAYSLOBOS

GO LOBOS!

P.S. I am just enjoying the journey, @jbabi.

There you go my sister.

Don't let the LR fanbase get under your skin..... Yes. we have to respect what they can do on offense but likewise for them. As I always say... Actions speak louder than words. All this talk is good to help the week go by faster, however, it is just that.

nope, just a little well deserved respect. but all season the team has had a motto for the haters and guess some people have to learn the hard way #shouldhavestayedsilent

Nothing in that says you have earned respect, just that you deserve it. We, of all people, respect good teams. And we HAVE learned the hard way! But, you can't come on here and expect us to bow down to the almight Eagles. It won't ever happen. And for the record, we all have a right to defend our position on here, you can't be a bully and expect for someone not to at least TRY to take you down a notch. We can all talk about football on any level that we are approached......

Go Lobos!

loboinaggie:

im confused, yall slowed down the game so much against summit it gave them a chance to win on a field goal?

what kind of strategy is that

or did yall struggle with their defense?

it's the way we play....physical defense, smash mouth football which keeps the other team from having as many opportunities to score tds. It's not complicated. We do nothing fancy and u know exactly what we are going to run but stopping it is a challenge cause we pick up 3-4 yds a carry. I remember at least two 5 minute drives against summit. Those long drives keeps nascar offenses like LR from getting rhythm like they did against poteet. the credit is to our defense who held them for the field goal attempt

Wylie???? Say whatttt

I can't lie. I've never heard anyone refer to the Lv defense as being slow or "not as fast as expected". That's a new one. As crazy as what that horn fan said a few years ago about them only having "tradition and reputation". Kinda funny, but crazy.

Only reason the Wylie game was 42-0 was because of stupid freakin penalties. Ugh.

Thankfully we were in complete control anyways.

well the wylie game I sat thru the whole thing, and talked to a lot of lv fans. so that's my only source of reference that and last year

and yes I said your defense is slower then I expected, it doesn't mean they are slow, I expected faster. but you get so upset and assume its a negative remark. (kinda how I feel everytime I have to defend a win)

well I can't upload the synonym exert photo where Deserved was clearly listed as a synonym for EARNED...but you get the point. anyway back to a football game. I was at that Summit game and was very impressed with a huge RB that I felt was comparable to one for JTJ. I may be way off on the size because he seemed huge to me but most Deff a hit the middle and go guy vs break your ankles with agility. With most of our defensive players being bigger than Summits do you feel you will have the same success. I honestly don't know how your districts defensive players compared to LR size wise

image.jpg

well I can't upload the synonym exert photo where Deserved was clearly listed as a synonym for EARNED...but you get the point. anyway back to a football game. I was at that Summit game and was very impressed with a huge RB that I felt was comparable to one for JTJ. I may be way off on the size because he seemed huge to me but most Deff a hit the middle and go guy vs break your ankles with agility. With most of our defensive players being bigger than Summits do you feel you will have the same success. I honestly don't know how your districts defensive players compared to LR size wise

Carolina Panthers couldn't move the chains on LR....we are doomed

Gonna try to avoid all the trash talking and just harp on a few things.

LR puts up tons of points, but allows a lot of points. Longview puts up a few points, but doesn't allow as many. That's just the style of game the teams play. Baylor, for instance, puts up tons of points, but they give up quite a few as well. That's just the nature of the beast whenever you're scoring every minute or two. I doubt we ever see a team that puts up insane numbers on offense (ala Balyor) while playing lockdown defense (ala Alabama). LR allowed 50 to JT, but also scored 70. When you're scoring that fast, the other team is going to have more drives, more chances, and your defense isn't going to be as rested. When you're playing a game like Longview plays, the game is going to be shorter and the other team won't have as many chances to score, and the defense will be fresh. Just look at their common opponents: JT only scored 14 on Longview, but scored 51 on Lake Ridge. Then again, Lake Ridge put 77 on JT while Longview only put 34 (and many will point to this game being one of Longview's worst on offense). Lake Ridge put up 43 more points, but allowed 37 more. Against Summit, Longview held Summit to 20 points, where Lake Ridge allowed 35 (to the backup QB if I'm not mistaken). But Lake Ridge put up a monstrous 55 to Longview's 21. Again, LR scores more, but allows more.

I haven't seen Lake Ridge play this year, but looking at their scores, that seems to be the case for them. I know that Poteet scored a few special teams TDs and a few defensive TDs, so I wouldn't put the 40 points on the LR defense. Then again, Poteet didn't have an insanely stellar offense. JT seemed to get better as the season went on, so it's natural their offense would click more against LR than Longview.

I just hope Coach King has a plan for this game, the team remains patient and poised, Ross and the offense don't make many mistakes (which is usually what dooms us in the playoffs- turnovers), and the team is inspired to play hard. If all of those things happen, Longview can win. If not, LR is too good to just go through the motions against. Either way, being one of the last 8 teams playing is something special, even moreso since it's Coach King's 5th time in this position.

• Like 3

Longview will stay Longview after this regardless. I'm interested to see how Lake Ridge responds to losing everyone next season.

I'm just excited for the opportunity our boys get. End of the day, we're the only one in 15 or 16-5A to still be playing...which everyone said wouldn't happen after the Marshall game.

• Like 1

Guest Delete1

I doubt we ever see a team that puts up insane numbers on offense (ala Balyor) while playing lockdown defense (ala Alabama).

2013 Aledo scored 1,023 points and gave up 147.

Longview will stay Longview after this regardless. I'm interested to see how Lake Ridge responds to losing everyone next season.

I'm just excited for the opportunity our boys get. End of the day, we're the only one in 15 or 16-5A to still be playing...which everyone said wouldn't happen after the Marshall game.

Being in the quarterfinals is a tremendous achievement. However, the only thing anyone cares about anymore is a state championship. It's the only thing that's eluded Longview for so long (and the only thing the little schools thump their chests about when going on their yearly offseason rants about Longview). We've had district titles, State Finals appearances, Semi-Finals appearances, etc. The ONLY thing eluding us is the state championship. Because of that, any year where we don't get that feels like a failure.

2013 Aledo scored 1,023 points and gave up 147.

That's a tremendous achievement, and a rare team. They were head and shoulders better than their competition, and rarely do teams like that come along.

I also made the mistake of using college teams to compare to high school teams, where talent parity is different and dominant teams come along more often (although still, scores like that are rare throughout a season).