Luke Turner of Gilmer

ScotlandtheBrave

Would be nice to see Kimmel and his producers get the facts on what this outstanding young man really is all about and what he contended with and how truly heartfelt this short speech was and offer up an apology and then some. Jimmy Kimmel should have Luke come on his show and tell as Paul Harvey used to say "the rest of the story", and apologize to the young man, as Kimmel has had heroes on his show before and based on his reactions to them in many cases seems to have a heart for those who have overcome adversity and done outstanding things despite the odds. They (Kimmel and his producers and staff) have an opportunity to partly redeem themselves. Let's see if they man up and do it. We'll see.

• Like 1

Got to see Luke play twice and unfortunalty his last high school game when he broke his ankle against Carthage. Luke Turner was a tremendous player that could play just about any position and an even better youn man, as what he showed in his interview a week ago and the special on Gameday. It is evident that he has 2 great parents and was raised right. It is also a testament to the Gilmer Program that Coach Traylor has created their and what Luke's dad, Coach Turner is continuing their.

We need more athletes that show appreciation and the love of the game of football like Luke in today's society. I think any young kids that play sports need to watch this video.

The Bulldogs were even in 2 clips of the special on Gameday, just hated it one of them was the play that Luke broke his ankle. I think that it was pretty awesome that you had 2 great high school programs with 2 great coaches, Gilmer & Carthage, with game clips in the special, even though it was about Luke.

Would be nice to see Kimmel and his producers get the facts on what this outstanding young man really is all about and what he contended with and how truly heartfelt this short speech was and offer up an apology and then some. Kimmel should have Luke come on his show and tell as Paul Harvey used to say "the rest of the story", and apologize to the young man, as Kimmel has had heroes on his show before and based on his reactions to them in many cases seems to have a heart for those who have overcome adversity and done outstanding things despite the odds. They (Kimmel and his producers and staff) have an opportunity to partly redeem themselves. Let's see if they man up and do it. We'll see.

Your beating a dead horse trying to get Liberals to understand the truth!

Your beating a dead horse trying to get Liberals to understand the truth!

You may be right, but again, we'll see. Based on what at I have seen from Kimmel over the years he would not have knowingly done a piece like if he had known the whole story behind Luke and what it took for him to be standing at that podium. I think that Jimmy Kimmel has a heart for a story such as Luke's, and I hope that he proves it in this case. Heck, he even made a star out of old Guillermo. We'll see.

Got to see Luke play twice and unfortunalty his last high school game when he broke his ankle against Carthage. Luke Turner was a tremendous player that could play just about any position and an even better youn man, as what he showed in his interview a week ago and the special on Gameday. It is evident that he has 2 great parents and was raised right. It is also a testament to the Gilmer Program that Coach Traylor has created their and what Luke's dad, Coach Turner is continuing their.

We need more athletes that show appreciation and the love of the game of football like Luke in today's society. I think any young kids that play sports need to watch this video.

The Bulldogs were even in 2 clips of the special on Gameday, just hated it one of them was the play that Luke broke his ankle. I think that it was pretty awesome that you had 2 great high school programs with 2 great coaches, Gilmer & Carthage, with game clips in the special, even though it was about Luke.

+1000

You may be right, but again, we'll see. Based on what at I have seen from Kimmel over the years he would not have knowingly done a piece like if he had known the whole story behind Luke and what it took for him to be standing at that podium.

+1000

I am with you on this. I watch Kimmel all of the time and I find him to be relatively reasonable. Hopefully he will make amends in this case.

Rice University football team is full of guys like Luke Turner. Besides the men who attend and play ball at our Nation's service academies, I don't know if you will find a group of young men anywhere with as much character and class that David Bailiff has instilled in his Rice Owls. Good job Gilmer, Rice and Turner family. Good job, Luke.

Thank you so much Buckeyebob for the link. Great stuff.

Would have loved to see Luke play against Argyle that year.

See you in Mesquite on Friday.

Again, all the very best in the future to this fine young athlete and more importantly man, his father and family and extended family. And to his beloved Coach Bailiff! Hear hear!!

Here's more:

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/12/56809/

Thank you so much Buckeyebob for the link. Great stuff

Would have loved to see Luke play against Argyle that year.

See you in Mesquite on Friday.

As though it wasn't a tough enuff gauntlet for Argyle that year the way it was metalhead! Good grief! In all seriousness, that was as many of us agreed at the time one of the most senseless, gut wrenching and hard to fathom injuries to hit a young high school senior and his community that many of us had seen in terms of the wretched timing of it and his senior year being torn down etc. (Don't say anything to Regal or Aguila, but had Luke been on the field that year against Argyle along with the rest of that cast, then God help us) That sort of opportunity lost is a pill that many of us have choked on in life, and he dealt with it at a very tender age. Part of what is so admirable is how graciously and well that he has gotten back up from it all! And no doubt he will continue on into coaching and leadership in the same excellent fashion and in the mold and the memory of the outstanding coaches whom he has been mentored by! Well done! Don't know where it stands at this moment, but Luke's short and heart felt talk may have saved his Coach's job. I cried a bit at the first tape, but I wept like a wee baby at this one. No shame. Just pride and joy for such a lad and coach and all concerned, and just a bit of a sense of how much that it took to endure it all and come out on the other side!
  • Like 1

As though it wasn't a tough enuff gauntlet for Argyle that year the way it was metalhead! Good grief! In all seriousness, that was as many of us agreed at the time one of the most senseless, gut wrenching and hard to fathom injuries to hit a young high school senior and his community that many of us had seen in terms of the wretched timing of it and his senior year being torn down etc. (Don't say anything to Regal or Aguila, but had Luke been on the field that year against Argyle along with the rest of that cast, then God help us) That sort of opportunity lost is a pill that many of us have choked on in life, and he dealt with it at a very tender age. Part of what is so admirable is how graciously and well that he has gotten back up from it all! And no doubt he will continue on into coaching and leadership in the same excellent fashion and in the mold and the memory of the outstanding coaches whom he has been mentored by! Well done! Don't know where it stands at this moment, but Luke's short and heart felt talk may have saved his Coach's job. I cried a bit at the first tape, but I wept like a wee baby at this one. No shame. Just pride and joy for such a lad and coach and all concerned, and just a bit of a sense of how much that it took to endure it all and come out on the other side!

Thanks for the updated link.

Your post was pure class as always, which is what I expect out of Argyle.

Unless y`all are playing an East Texas team, I pretty much always pull for Argyle. Had the opportunity to talk with some great Argyle folks after Gilmer's championship last year. Was pulling for the Eagles to beat the Rattlers, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Good luck the rest of the way. Hope to see an Argyle vs. Carthage final.

Thanks again.

"Thanks for the updated link.

Unless y`all are playing an East Texas team, I pretty much always pull for Argyle. Had the opportunity to talk with some great Argyle folks after Gilmer's championship last year. Was pulling for the Eagles to beat the Rattlers, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Thanks again."

Thank you metalhead! And thanks again to the Carthaginians and Gilmerites and other east Texas stalwarts for allowing us wild eyed Argyillians to once again show up here as fair weather interlopers on your venerable board! I think that at this point there are quite a few of us looking at that potential matchup as being one that could be another great one for the ages, and the all time series is currently tied up, but both teams and coaching staffs know that if they put their focus past this week that opportunity will never happen and may not even if they do! Thanks for the kind words and all the best to you and yours this Christmas season metalhead! And here's one for you to possibly enjoy with that moniker and in honor of Luke Turner since the lead singer and the pipers are wearing Gilmer colors after all! I am sure that you would agree that the theme matches the fierce battles and foes faced by these outstanding teams and coaches and communities et. al. striving so hard to get to the top!:

• Like 1

"Thanks for the updated link.

Thanks again."

Thank you metalhead! And thanks again to the Carthaginians and Gilmerites and other east Texas stalwarts for allowing us wild eyed Argyillians to once again show up here as fair weather interlopers on your venerable board! I think that at this point there are quite a few of us looking at that potential matchup as being one that could be another great one for the ages, and the all time series is currently tied up, but both teams and coaching staffs know that if they put their focus past this week that opportunity will never happen and may not even if they do! Thanks for the kind words and all the best to you and yours this Christmas season metalhead! And here's one for you to possibly enjoy with that moniker and in honor of Luke Turner since the lead singer and the pipers are wearing Gilmer colors after all! I am sure that you would agree that the theme matches the fierce battles and foes faced by these outstanding teams and coaches and communities et. al. striving so hard to get to the top!:

Once again, pure class.

All the same back to you and your loved ones.

For my money, it does not get any better than Ronald Belford "Bon" Scott fronting the mighty AC/DC. I'm sure you know the story of how that video was filmed. 100% Rock.

Take care.

• Like 1

Once again, pure class.

All the same back to you and your loved ones.

For my money, it does not get any better than Ronald Belford "Bon" Scott fronting the mighty AC/DC. I'm sure you know the story of how that video was filmed. 100% Rock.

Take care.

+1000! Outstanding! I actually don't know the story behind the video however metalhead! I'm all ears friend!

Ross-Perot.jpg

Most people give up when

they're about to achieve success.

They quit on the one yard line.

They give up at the last minute of the game

one foot from a winning touch down.

- Ross Perot

+1000! Outstanding! I actually don't know the story behind the video however metalhead! I'm all ears friend!

Ross-Perot.jpg

Most people give up when

they're about to achieve success.

They quit on the one yard line.

They give up at the last minute of the game

one foot from a winning touch down.

- Ross Perot

Filmed on Swanston Street in Melbourne, Australia. The reason why the band and the crowd are having fun and all smiles is because they are actually playing live while driving around. Of course they cut the footage and put together this video for the studio version of the song.

What a sight it would have been to be standing on a street in Melbourne in 1976 and around the corner comes AC/DC blasting this song live with pipers from the bed of a truck. My favorite part of the video is toward the end at about 4:20 into the video. There is a fan that is reaching up and trying to give Bon what appears to be a "left handed" cigarette.

Ride On.

Filmed on Swanston Street in Melbourne, Australia. The reason why the band and the crowd are having fun and all smiles is because they are actually playing live while driving around. Of course they cut the footage and put together this video for the studio version of the song.

What a sight it would have been to be standing on a street in Melbourne in 1976 and around the corner comes AC/DC blasting this song live with pipers from the bed of a truck. My favorite part of the video is toward the end at about 4:20 into the video. There is a fan that is reaching up and trying to give Bon what appears to be a "left handed" cigarette.

Ride On.

Excellent update metalhead! Thank you! Since the legendary late Bon Scott and the other pipers are wearing Gilmer colors and playing the beloved pipes of Argyle, perhaps this fine ballad can help spur us both on to NRG!!

Can someone please post a link to the ESPN Gameday feature.

Thanks.

Greetings again metalhead! Here is another link that I think you and some other Smoaksters might enjoy seeing if you haven't already. This one is about another outstanding young athlete in a very tough sport, bull riding in this case, with a huge heart and great character, not unlike demonstrated by Luke in football. With young men the caliber of these, and the coaches and mentors who have helped bring them along, we may just make it. Hat's off to all involved in this story as well!: