4A Div I State Semi-Finals: Carthage (11-3) vs Waco La Vega (14-0)

Dawg7031

Carthage vs Waco La Vega  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who will advance?

• Carthage Bulldogs
    • La Vega Pirates

I think this game will be another instant classic for Carthage in a season of many. Dawgs win by 4.

This season has the makings of something unlike any other in recent memory; Can anyone recall the Dawds setting Three undefeated teams down on their way to the Championship? ( Not trying to put the cart before the horse here, but just wondering...)

La Vega's Offensive line averages 257# / Defensive line averages 217#

Carthage's Offensive line averages 264# / Defensive line averages 212#

Pretty even numbers for both of these teams. La Vega's coach has been with this program for 33 years and his Sophmore son is the quarterback. Looking at the videos on MaxPreps, they have speed on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. They have closing speed in the secondary and come up to contain pretty good. La Vega is averaging 35.1 points for the season and Carthage is averaging 36.4. During the 4 games in the playoffs for both teams, La Vega has averaged 27 points which includes the Regional game they won 6 to 0 in OT. Carthage has averaged 47 points. If both teams get everyone healthy, I like the Surratt team that will take the field. Carthage will have to minimize mistakes, do what they have been doing in the playoffs, and they will be fine. Blissett had record setting numbers and the running game was there when needed against a very big and physical Sisbee team. The defense is doing a phenomal job making the big stops, they have made some mistakes, and the offense has has ulitized several weapons and had great success. Go Dawgs!

Maybe the people talking about how BIG Waco La Vega is should have been at the Carthage/Silsbee game last night. You got NO idea. Their whole line was ENORMOUS and so was their quarterback. took 4 of our guys to tackle one of theirs. I don't think they come much bigger than Silsbee unless La Vega is doing some hefty recruiting. They also had a weak strength of schedule in my opinion. Unless you think the perennial powerhouse of China Spring is tough to bring down.

I did some fact checking on their schedule. LV Opponents were 93-72-1 on the year. 11 of the teams they played made the playoffs with several going 2-3 rounds deep. By comparison, Carthage opponents were 100-62 on the year.

I did some fact checking on their schedule. LV Opponents were 93-72-1 on the year. 11 of the teams they played made the playoffs with several going 2-3 rounds deep. By comparison, Carthage opponents were 100-62 on the year.

Okay. BUT...the 2-3 rounds they went deep were when they got out of that area I bet and got beat. I was looking at who they played and some of the teams they played played teams such as Brownwood and Gatesville. Brownwood made the playoffs but they didn't beat any good teams by much before they got beat out. I just think Coach Surratt when he gets a team to this point in a season their execution is very high professional and there just aren't many teams that can tread water with him. I've been to every single playoff game since losing to Liberty Hill in 2007. I'm telling you. The only uncharacteristic thing I have seen is the turnovers by the quarterback this time of year. It really SHOULD have cost us the win vs. Navasota but he's just that GOOD of a coach.

• Like 1

The # of 4th and short stops our D has gotten recently has been nothing short of spectacular...I have no other words to describe it these have been game changing plays that have been made even when we've gjven up many more points than we've been accustomed to....

Okay. BUT...the 2-3 rounds they went deep were when they got out of that area I bet and got beat. I was looking at who they played and some of the teams they played played teams such as Brownwood and Gatesville. Brownwood made the playoffs but they didn't beat any good teams by much before they got beat out. I just think Coach Surratt when he gets a team to this point in a season their execution is very high professional and there just aren't many teams that can tread water with him. I've been to every single playoff game since losing to Liberty Hill in 2007. I'm telling you. The only uncharacteristic thing I have seen is the turnovers by the quarterback this time of year. It really SHOULD have cost us the win vs. Navasota but he's just that GOOD of a coach.

LV's strength of schedule is the closest to Carthage of any team this playoff run. Maybe their region is weaker than ours, maybe not. I believe they will be the one of the best, if not the best teams we have played all year. I expect Coach Surratt will speak to that this week.

I think your comments on our QB are a little harsh. We have made a lot of mistakes this year as a TEAM on offense, defense and special teams. It's not like the only turnovers and mistakes have been interceptions. Yet we continue to press on and apply pressure to our opponents, force turnovers, and score enough points to win. It is true that Coach Surratt and his staff are that good. They will have the DAWGS well prepared and ready to play Fri night.

LV's strength of schedule is the closest to Carthage of any team this playoff run. Maybe their region is weaker than ours, maybe not. I believe they will be the one of the best, if not the best teams we have played all year. I expect Coach Surratt will speak to that this week.

I think your comments on our QB are a little harsh. We have made a lot of mistakes this year as a TEAM on offense, defense and special teams. It's not like the only turnovers and mistakes have been interceptions. Yet we continue to press on and apply pressure to our opponents, force turnovers, and score enough points to win. It is true that Coach Surratt and his staff are that good. They will have the DAWGS well prepared and ready to play Fri night.

You think this team is better than Silsbee? I think we have already played the best; I hope I'm right and you're wrong. But I think Carthage will win by more than 4 points for sure. There's only 2 things that could change that for me. #1 - The severity of injuries to a number of Carthage players last night and whether we lose several key players for this game (Because Surratt hasn't been able to play his backups as much this year as in years past to get them experience. #2 - Whether it is as close as you say and the offense turns the ball over more than 2 times on their end of the field. It's not harsh to say facts. I am saying that Coach Surratt Quaterbacks (Bogenshutz, Morgan, etc.) I don't remember them throwing interceptions in the playoffs. I may be wrong about that and my memory may be bad. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You think this team is better than Silsbee? I think we have already played the best; I hope I'm right and you're wrong. But I think Carthage will win by more than 4 points for sure. There's only 2 things that could change that for me. #1 - The severity of injuries to a number of Carthage players last night and whether we lose several key players for this game (Because Surratt hasn't been able to play his backups as much this year as in years past to get them experience. #2 - Whether it is as close as you say and the offense turns the ball over more than 2 times on their end of the field. It's not harsh to say facts. I am saying that Coach Surratt Quaterbacks (Bogenshutz, Morgan, etc.) I don't remember them throwing interceptions in the playoffs. I may be wrong about that and my memory may be bad. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes I think La Vega will be better than Silsbee. They have more team speed, more athletic but slightly smaller offensive line, a blocking and catching D1 TE, and a defense 10 times better than Silsbee. This game will be close for 4 quarters unless one team or the other implodes with turnovers and mistakes. Very well could be another Navasota type game.

On the QB comments, I'll need to do some research. The fact that #10 is in a position to break the all time single season completion yards record tells me Coach Surratt is possibly asking this QB to do more than the greats QB's mentioned. So if you have more attempts, your likely to have more INT's. Remember the previous QB's had All State running backs lined up behind them. The 2015 DAWGS have a great 1-2 punch at RB when they are both healthy. Neither has been healthy all year so their offensive production has not been where we are used to seeing our RB's. Hoping #28 can work that sprain out this week and be ready to go Fri night. If not, I'll gladly support more attempts from #10 to take some pressure off of #44.

• Like 1

JMO but this one may come down to whether or not the dawgs O can eliminate some of the mistakes and turnovers they've had in previous games. If la vega's defense is as good as advertised there will be a much smaller margin of error and these types of negative plays could change the outcome of the game. If we can take care of the ball, especially on our own side of the field, i think we'll be ok. Oh, and let's not forget about

special teams lol we GOT to get some of the goofy mess fixed asap!

2010 (Morgan) 16 games

239-379 for 3,676 yards & 39 TD's w/ 11 INT's

63.1% comp

2013 (Bogenschutz) 16 games

241-393 for 4,003 yards & 57 TD's w/ 4 INT's

58.8% comp

2015 (Blissett) 14 games

253-417 for 3,858 yards & 41 TD's w/ 10 INT's

60.7% comp

• Like 2

2013 team had two WR's who went to UNT on scholarship. Before that we had a WR who went to A&M. And then we also had one who may have been the best, but lacked size that played 4 years at Wyoming. Not knocking this years wideouts, but they don't have great size or speed. Just a group of kids who work hard.

They are getting it done.

• Like 1

2013 team had two WR's who went to UNT on scholarship. Before that we had a WR who went to A&M. And then we also had one who may have been the best, but lacked size that played 4 years at Wyoming. Not knocking this years wideouts, but they don't have great size or speed. Just a group of kids who work hard.

They are getting it done.

Jbizzle see my last post. Should speak for itself. It's time to bury this conversation and move onto more productive talk. We are one of the 4 best teams in 4A D1 in 2015! Win this week and we are playing for #5.