4A Div I State Semi-Finals: Carthage (11-3) vs Waco La Vega (14-0)

Dawg7031

Carthage vs Waco La Vega  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who will advance?

• Carthage Bulldogs
    • La Vega Pirates

Carthage don't get upset if I pick someone other than Carthage. I think La Vega would have given Navasota fits as well. Our defense lost several all- state defensive players before the playoffs and it showed. Our defensive line was undersized and had problems stopping the run game. La Vega and Argyle defensive are the best defensive teams left in the playoffs. Both will be hard to move the all on. That is an honest assessment and if that offends you.......sorry. If Carthage wins I will see you at NRG. I will let you know what I am wearing and we can meet up and hash out football.

Have you seen La Vega or Argyle play this season? Neither played Navasota. Just wonder where your "honest assesment" comes from? You been picking against the Dawgs all season. Not a problem. A lot of posters have all season. It's actually good your picking against us, cause I very rarely see you pick a game correctly. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, nothing wrong with that.

Yeah heard their head coach Willie Williams say he's got the best secondary he's had in 33 years he's been there sounds pretty impressive too.

Well they will be tested. That's for sure.

Have you seen La Vega or Argyle play this season? Neither played Navasota. Just wonder where your "honest assesment" comes from? You been picking against the Dawgs all season. Not a problem. A lot of posters have all season. It's actually good your picking against us, cause I very rarely see you pick a game correctly. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, nothing wrong with that.

Well they will be tested. That's for sure.

I did see Arglye play us in the championship game last year. They lost their RB Ralston and coach son at QB. other than that most returned. It will be hard to beat, not impossible, them whether it is Carthage or La Vega. Carthage has a great coach, fans and football team and I have never talked bad about Carthage or trash talked them other than jabbing when we played you. I can tell you your defense will have to step up and not allow 40-50 points or you will lose. La Vega and Argyle both have much better defenses than Navasota, Stafford or Sillsbee. Good luck and I always go to the 4A D1 & 4A D2 State Championship Games every year. I saw the Carthage vs. Kilgore game. In 2013 and that team was very impressive indeed.

Hate to interrupt this thread, but I'm watching the new Jack Black movie "Bernie" right now on The Movie Channel. Most of you Carthagenians know it was shot with the town of Carthage(and Bernie) as the main theme. It's very entertaining, haha! Shirley MacLaine and Matthew McConaughey also stars.

Hate to interrupt this thread, but I'm watching the new Jack Black movie "Bernie" right now on The Movie Channel. Most of you Carthagenians know it was shot with the town of Carthage(and Bernie) as the main theme. It's very entertaining, haha! Shirley MacLaine and Matthew McConaughey also stars.

ACTUALLY, most of this was NOT shot in the town of Carthage. Most of it was shot in or around Bastrop, Texas. But there are a lot of cut-to scenes that are of Carthage. When Jack Black is seen in the first of the film driving and singing he is actually going through a strip of Bastrop on highway 21 that burned during the drought of 2009 I think it was. The Welcome to Carthage sign he goes by was PLANTED there for the film. Very good movie and very true to what actually occurred as well for the most part. I didn't know Bernie Tiede personally because I was a member of the Methodist Church out in Deadwood and I was away in the Marines by the time this took place in 1997-1998. But it was a real shocker to hear of Mrs. Nugent found in her deep freeze I assure you! I actually broke the news to about 5 area newspapers and news outlets of them about to start filming the movie when I stumbled on an article about Richard Linklater filming it soon. Lots of the people in the film posing to be people from Carthage were actually people from Carthage. Except for that crazy older blonde gal, that was Matthew McConaughey's Mother. Got to see the movie debut in Carthage Twin Cinema and two of the actors (our friends in town) that were in the movie actually stood up after the movie was over and answered questions and told about their experience making the movie. It was truly awesome to get to hear about the inner workings of Hollywood. Poor Danny Buck Davidson (The prosecutor) sure took a LOT of flack about looking so much like Matthew McConaughey. LOL. (He didn't). And Yes that "HANDS ON A HARDBODY" event was a real BIG deal in Longview for a few years, prolly until Danny Buck pulled that criminal roundup gig with it. But I do remember hearing about them arresting people at it one year.

ACTUALLY, most of this was NOT shot in the town of Carthage. Most of it was shot in or around Bastrop, Texas. But there are a lot of cut-to scenes that are of Carthage. When Jack Black is seen in the first of the film driving and singing he is actually going through a strip of Bastrop on highway 21 that burned during the drought of 2009 I think it was. The Welcome to Carthage sign he goes by was PLANTED there for the film. Very good movie and very true to what actually occurred as well for the most part. I didn't know Bernie Tiede personally because I was a member of the Methodist Church out in Deadwood and I was away in the Marines by the time this took place in 1997-1998. But it was a real shocker to hear of Mrs. Nugent found in her deep freeze I assure you! I actually broke the news to about 5 area newspapers and news outlets of them about to start filming the movie when I stumbled on an article about Richard Linklater filming it soon. Lots of the people in the film posing to be people from Carthage were actually people from Carthage. Except for that crazy older blonde gal, that was Matthew McConaughey's Mother. Got to see the movie debut in Carthage Twin Cinema and two of the actors (our friends in town) that were in the movie actually stood up after the movie was over and answered questions and told about their experience making the movie. It was truly awesome to get to hear about the inner workings of Hollywood. Poor Danny Buck Davidson (The prosecutor) sure took a LOT of flack about looking so much like Matthew McConaughey. LOL. (He didn't). And Yes that "HANDS ON A HARDBODY" event was a real BIG deal in Longview for a few years, prolly until Danny Buck pulled that criminal roundup gig with it. But I do remember hearing about them arresting people at it one year.

SMDH.......🙈🙉🙊👎

Carthage will win. Much more polished and disciplined than the athlete reliant vega. Those athletes are talented though and that could prove to make it a close game. A close game imo will go to Carthage because of experience with big games. So I'll guess dawgs by anywhere from 1-21. Good luck dawgs I'll be checking on scores from work.

Regal did it.....lol! And DawgDaze elaborated! That's what you get for not changing your dadgum vote in our poll 77!

Here's the thing... I was born & raised in Carthage Texas. I am proud that I was, & because I am, I still live here. I am proud that I live in a small town known for it's Country Music legends, Jim Reeves, Tex Ritter & Linda Davis. I am proud that I live in a town known as the Gas Capital of the United States due to it's Cotton Valley Gas wells, which after 60 years Still produce billions of cubic feet of gas per day, which provides us with the tax revenue to afford all of the luxuries( Schools, State of the Art Sports Complex, etc.) which are the Envy of other larger cities, & I am proud to live in a small town, which has a well earned reputation for having perhaps THE Best Football program in 4A High School Football! I am proud that I live in a town where almost everybody knows & speaks to each other. What bothers me is that a homosexual mortician from Kilgore, Texas befriended a very wealthy widow of one of those Millionaire East Texas oilmen after his death & murdered her by shooting her in the back four times & placed her into her own freezer among the bags of peas, corn, etc, & spent millions of HER money making himself out to be the guy who could make Anything possible to the locals who had only to ask, & He would provide! This charade went on for nine months until he was finally exposed as a murderer & sent to prison. Then, people from Carthage were put on display to make fools of themselves, & now That is what people will think of whenever they hear " Carthage, Texas" & that makes me shake my head in disbelief!
  • Like 1

Here's the thing... I was born & raised in Carthage Texas. I am proud that I was, & because I am, I still live here. I am proud that I live in a small town known for it's Country Music legends, Jim Reeves, Tex Ritter & Linda Davis. I am proud that I live in a town known as the Gas Capital of the United States due to it's Cotton Valley Gas wells, which after 60 years Still produce billions of cubic feet of gas per day, which provides us with the tax revenue to afford all of the luxuries( Schools, State of the Art Sports Complex, etc.) which are the Envy of other larger cities, & I am proud to live in a small town, which has a well earned reputation for having perhaps THE Best Football program in 4A High School Football! I am proud that I live in a town where almost everybody knows & speaks to each other. What bothers me is that a homosexual mortician from Kilgore, Texas befriended a very wealthy widow of one of those Millionaire East Texas oilmen after his death & murdered her by shooting her in the back four times & placed her into her own freezer among the bags of peas, corn, etc, & spent millions of HER money making himself out to be the guy who could make Anything possible to the locals who had only to ask, & He would provide! This charade went on for nine months until he was finally exposed as a murderer & sent to prison. Then, people from Carthage were put on display to make fools of themselves, & now That is what people will think of whenever they hear " Carthage, Texas" & that makes me shake my head in disbelief!

Well stated! Now back to football.......

No rest for the weary sounds like la vega has a great defense. my biggest concern this week is the status of #28. i know we scored 56 without him which is amazing but hes got the kind of breakaway speed which could gives us that extra score or two that we may need against this kind of team. My pick for the dawgs this year was to reach the state semis and we're here. Now the question remains, can they exceed my expectations?

#28 Ingram, out with Broken ankle.

Next man up! #28 is a great player with a bright future ahead of him. Carthage was able to win without Him early in the year while he was nursing another injury, and we were able to win without him against Silsbee. We have more than enough fire power to get it done against La Vega. Will just need to adjust the game plan slightly but we will be fine.

Dang it! Just as he was coming into his own as a runner. He gave us a home run threat in the run game for sure. That's a huge blow, but we will be fine. He has an outstanding future ahead of him at Carthage. We still got plenty of fire power. Hardy played a heck of a game last week, and I don't expect anything different this week. All we have to do is stay a little balanced to keep teams honest and be able to run the clock when needed. We were going to ride Blissett and the WR core to the end with or without Ingram. Go Dawgs!

It's going to be an interesting game when it comes to passing. They have a stud corner who has signed with OU and is playing in the U.S. army all American game.. Look forward to seeing him on Saturdays night but I believe the dawgs will own Friday night. Me and His family have a friendly wager going so I hope we can pull it off.

It's going to be an interesting game when it comes to passing. They have a stud corner who has signed with OU and is playing in the U.S. army all American game.. Look forward to seeing him on Friday night but I believe the dawgs will own Friday night. Me and His family have a friendly wager going so I hope we can pull it off.

He is a great corner but it will be hard for him to shut down the other 3 receivers we will send out in patterns. And just when he thinks he has us figured out, #1 will beat him over the top for a TD!

Next man up! #28 is a great player with a bright future ahead of him. Carthage was able to win without Him early in the year while he was nursing another injury, and we were able to win without him against Silsbee. We have more than enough fire power to get it done against La Vega. Will just need to adjust the game plan slightly but we will be fine.

Hate to hear about #28 injury. He has a bright future for sure. I sure would hate to lose an athlete his caliber against La Vega.

Hate to hear about #28 injury. He has a bright future for sure. I sure would hate to lose an athlete his caliber against La Vega.

Gotta press on with the players we have. Both teams are beat up after 14 games. VLike I said we have lots of fire power on the offensive side of the ball. I'm sure Coach Surratt has a few "special" plays up his sleeve if needed!