4A Div I State Semi-Finals: Carthage (11-3) vs Waco La Vega (14-0)

Dawg7031

Carthage vs Waco La Vega  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who will advance?

• Carthage Bulldogs
    • La Vega Pirates

My partial post from Sunday. "Yes I think La Vega will be better than Silsbee. They have more team speed, more athletic but slightly smaller offensive line, a blocking and catching D1 TE, and a defense 10 times better than Silsbee. This game will be close for 4 quarters unless one team or the other implodes with turnovers and mistakes. Very well could be another Navasota type game."

Right on. It's just that we have nobody to discuss with from La Vega. And everybody else that's thinks Carthage will get beat is for the most part people that wanna see Carthage get lose. We are finally talking a little football. How things are really going to play out. This is going to be a game.

This is going to be the best opponent either team has played. After looking at film and reading articles I think this is for sure a 1 possession game. For some strange reason I think this is going to be a semi-shootout, even though most think it's going to be more of a defensive game. Maybe not 50 points a piece, but I believe both offenses will have success. If we have trouble scoring then the Dawgs might be in trouble. From the looks of their offense they are going to score some points on the Dawg D. But in he other hand from some of the stuff I have seen I think Carthage will score some points too. This quietly might be the game of the week.

I wish I woulda gone to chalk talk.

Read the ETSN article posted today. Coach Surratt's scouting reports sums up what we heard in Chalk Talk.

Just the facts from etsn.fm

• Waco La Vega is playing in its first state semifinal since 2008.
  • Carthage is in the semifinal round for the sixth time in the last eight seasons. The Bulldogs are 4-1 in semifinal action under coach Scott Surratt.
  • La Vega is averaging 35.1 points and 439.4 yards per game — 303.2 rushing and 136.2 passing.
  • The Pirates’ defense is allowing 15.6 points per game, and has forced 26 turnovers on the season — 15 interceptions and 11 fumble recoveries.
  • The cumulative record of La Vega’s opponents this season is 81-70 (.536).
  • Carthage is averaging 36.4 points and 440.5 yards per game — 147.1 rushing and 293.4 passing.
  • The Bulldogs’ defense is allowing 23.3 points per game, and has forced 28 turnovers on the season — 14 interceptions and 14 fumble recoveries.
  • The cumulative record of Carthage’s opponents this season is 100-62 (.617).

Pretty even stats, except the rushing and passing numbers are reversed. La Vega will try to control the clock and we all know that our offense can score quick. Go Dawgs!

Just the facts from etsn.fm

• Waco La Vega is playing in its first state semifinal since 2008.
  • Carthage is in the semifinal round for the sixth time in the last eight seasons. The Bulldogs are 4-1 in semifinal action under coach Scott Surratt.
  • La Vega is averaging 35.1 points and 439.4 yards per game 303.2 rushing and 136.2 passing.
  • The Pirates defense is allowing 15.6 points per game, and has forced 26 turnovers on the season 15 interceptions and 11 fumble recoveries.
  • The cumulative record of La Vegas opponents this season is 81-70 (.536).
  • Carthage is averaging 36.4 points and 440.5 yards per game 147.1 rushing and 293.4 passing.
  • The Bulldogs defense is allowing 23.3 points per game, and has forced 28 turnovers on the season 14 interceptions and 14 fumble recoveries.
  • The cumulative record of Carthages opponents this season is 100-62 (.617).

Pretty even stats, expect the rushing and passing numbers are reversed. La Vega will try to control the clock and we all know that our offense can score quick. Go Dawgs!

That's about as even as it will get. Another stat from that article is about how many close games each team has played. This is going to be a heck of a game! Dawgs gonna get it done. Might only be by 1, but this team will find a way to win.

Based on stats from etsn.fm:

La Vega's sophomore QB, who is the head coach's son, is averaging only 23 yards rushing per game (and <3.5 yards per carry). I suppose these are net of any losses when sacked, but I still expected that he had much more production than this based on the quickness I have heard he possesses.

He has averaged a TD pass for every 11+ passes attempted, comparable to CHS senior Jarod Blissett's 10+. However, Blissett has a much better interception ratio - 1 for every 42 passes attempted compared to 1 for every 30 for the sophomore.

La Vega's top two receivers, who are also their top two defensive backs, have combined for 5 catches per game for an average of 15-1/2 yards per reception and 18 receiving TDs. Carthage's top receiver, "Nugget" Jackson, averages almost 6 catches a game for an average of nearly 18 yards per catch and 16 TDs.

These two Pirate DBs have 4 interceptions each, as does another CB.

La Vega's sophomore QB, who is the head coach's son, is averaging only 23 yards rushing per game (and <3.5 yards per carry). I suppose these are net of any losses when sacked, but I still expected that he had much more production than this based on the quickness I have heard he possesses.

He has averaged a TD pass for every 11+ passes attempted, comparable to CHS senior Jarod Blissett's 10+. However, Blissett has a much better interception ratio - 1 for every 42 passes attempted compared to 1 for every 30 for the sophomore.

La Vega's top two receivers, who are also their top two defensive backs, have combined for 5 catches per game for an average of 15-1/2 yards per reception and 18 receiving TDs. Carthage's top receiver, "Nugget" Jackson, averages almost 6 catches a game for an average of nearly 18 yards per catch and 16 TDs. What is Blissett's average per carry?

La Vega's top two receivers, who are also their top two defensive backs, have combined for 5 catches per game for an average of 15-1/2 yards per reception and 18 receiving TDs. Carthage's top receiver, "Nugget" Jackson, averages almost 6 catches a game for an average of nearly 18 yards per catch and 16 TDs. What is Blissett's average per carry?

What is Blissett's average per carry?