Tatum 2016

Eagleborn

The Tatum Superintendent and the assistant AD should have never let that happen. They put coach FRAZIER in this embarrassing situation. The superintendent's recommendations have never been questioned. He knew he did not have full support of the board but he thought he could push it on through. I am very proud of the four board members that stood up for what they thought was right for Tatum ISD. As you can tell most people don't have a lot of faith in Coach Evans recommendations to replace himself and we would prefer him not to be involved in the process.

• Like 1

I will tell you this:

1. Frazier’s name was mentioned well before the football season was over as being the next head coach at Tatum. Whether he leaked it or someone from Tatum did, that never should have happened. This probably made the school board say “Hold Up”
  2. The school board is in charge of approving all hires. If the SUPT/Asst. AD knew that they would not accept this recommendation, then why draw it out this long and wait until the night of the meeting to let Frazier know that it would be a problem? That was unprofessional on part of Tatum Admin. Now you have caused a great coach, John Frazier, to be put through this mess and have to return to the job that he was prepared to leave.
  3. I’m sure the folks at West Rusk are happy that they get to keep their coach, but let’s be honest…..John was ready for what would have been a great promotion for him in his great career that he has had thus far.
  4. I’m not sure I understand why Andy Evans is allowed to have a say so in his replacement…yes he has done a marvelous job at Tatum. He has built somewhat of an athletic dynasty. Don’t take any credit from his assistant coaches though. Doesn’t matter who the head coach is….if your assistant aren’t good, then the program won’t be good. Tatum’s assistants are top notch. Both programs (GIrls/Boys) are excellent.
  5. The only way to right this wrong is to re-open the search and let a committee decide who the next coach will be…NOT Andy Evans. Andy has had a great run in Tatum and deserves to go out in style…….but assistant AD is NOT what he should be. Put him in the admin building with Dee Hart and then they can both ride off into the sunset together in 2017! You have both done great, but Tatum is a district that was here before the both of you, and it will be here long after y’all are gone! Let the board do their job and approve the coach that they want to represent their district…..just like they have approved of a great SUPT staying around this long, I’m sure they will find a great Head Coach to do the same!
  6. School districts are an extension of the government…which means school districts are a system of check and balances as well. Just like the president/congress/supreme court……school districts have superintendents and school boards to regulate everything to make sure laws are being followed and to represent the community. These elected officials did not want John Frazier…nothing personal…just business!!
If you are having a hard time finding a coach that is qualified…let me help you out..and you won’t have to leave East Texas to go get him. JUST FOR ACCURACY:
TIER 1
1. KERRY STRONG
TIER 2
  1. Barry Bowman (Center HC)
  2. Casey Pearce (Longview DC)
  3. Shannon Wilson (Bullard HC)
  4. Dale Irwin (Arp HC)
  5. Kurt Traylor (Gilmer Assistant)
  6. David Collins (Pine Tree HC)
  7. Whitney Keeling (Waskom HC)
  8. Thomas Sitton (Chapel Hill HC)
  9. Scott Callaway (Mesquite OC)
  10. Joe Drennon (Mineola HC)
  11. Ricky Meeks (Center OC)
  12. Tim Russell (Harmony HC)
  13. Thomas Hightower (Daingerfield Asst.)
  14. Tracy Blankenship (Ore City HC)
  15. Kris Iske (White Oak HC)
One thing about these coaches is that Andy will not be able to control them as assistant athletic director. I feel that he tried to select Frazier because he felt that John fit “His Mold” for what he thinks that program needs.
Now I’m not sure any of these guys would want the job now that the powers that be have allowed a name to leak 8 weeks before the actual hire and call him the night of just to break the bad news to him that you do not have the support of the board. Good luck in the search…..

They have to apply though. And now it's a problem, because most of those type of coaches will steer clear of this situation after this mess.

Not necessarily... I dont see the mess that you are talking about, I see that two individuals didn't go about it the right way and when you don't do things the correct way it will come back to bite you. So it's ok everybody make mistakes. You live and you learn. I wish the best to all parties involved.

#Time2MoveOn

• Like 1

Not necessarily... I dont see the mess that you are talking about, I see that two individuals didn't go about it the right way and when you don't do things the correct way it will come back to bite you. So it's ok everybody make mistakes. You live and you learn. I wish the best to all parties involved.

#Time2MoveOn

I agree. It shows that the board is strong enough to follow through with what they think is best for the school, kids, and community without being pressured into something they disagree with. Kudos to the school board.

I agree. It shows that the board is strong enough to follow through with what they think is best for the school, kids, and community without being pressured into something they disagree with. Kudos to the school board.

As a coach.... It is a huge red flag when the school board vetos the recommendation of the Supt. The person they hired and gave the power to search for and recommend employees. Most coaches will be a little wary of that situation.

As a community member y'all think the school board is showing that they are doing "what is best for our school" as a coach we see it as going into job where there is a divide in power and that usually doesn't bode well.

Posted Today, 09:16 AM

"I think the school board needs to identify who they want and go after them. Do what Barbers Hill did, make some phone calls and recruit your next coach. "

1)Tatum isn't going to pay 140K+

2)Might wait and see how that works out for BH - Allen and BH are completely different.

3)Contrary to local opinion, not everyone wants to live in Tatum - small town East Texas isn't for everyone

Hire what is the best fit for Tatum at this time. The logic of hiring "someone with multiple championships" is flawed. Evans hadn't won it all before Tatum, Traylor hadn't won it all before Gilmer. But they were both the right coach at the right time.

Posted Today, 09:16 AM

"I think the school board needs to identify who they want and go after them. Do what Barbers Hill did, make some phone calls and recruit your next coach. "

1)Tatum isn't going to pay 140K+

2)Might wait and see how that works out for BH - Allen and BH are completely different.

3)Contrary to local opinion, not everyone wants to live in Tatum - small town East Texas isn't for everyone

Hire what is the best fit for Tatum at this time. The logic of hiring "someone with multiple championships" is flawed. Evans hadn't won it all before Tatum, Traylor hadn't won it all before Gilmer. But they were both the right coach at the right time.

I didn't say anything about "multiple state championships" or going outside of East Texas or paying $149 K. Read and comprehend please.

Identify who you want, and go get them.

I didn't say anything about "multiple state championships" or going outside of East Texas or paying $149 K. Read and comprehend please.

This has been tried when the job opened and the one they wanted did not want to go. A pretty good list of ET coaches was posted earlier. I agree though...pick one and go get him.

Let me just say this...

I am a former player for coach Frazier, and am now a coach here in East Texas (I will keep my current school nameless). Tatum lost a heck of an opportunity to hire a quality coach, and quality man. This has turned into a nightmare for Tatum, and it is all self inflicted.

The men that wanted to hire coach Frazier away from West Rusk would be people that know what they are doing. They have a background in education, and spend every day on the Tatum campus.

The decision to not support an excellent coach was made by men that have 0 experience in education. Not saying that they are uneducated by any means, but if I'm hiring a surgeon, I want someone that knows how to perform the surgery to be the one to tell me who I should hire.

I don't know that you will find anyone more qualified than Frazier. I am not saying there were not other good candidates, and people that were qualified, but there was a reason that the hiring committee thought coach Frazier was the BEST POSSIBLE CANDIDATE.

Let's get real, any other community in the entire state that just went winless in football would be lucky to even get an application from some of the candidates that Tatum did. I personally would be afraid to work there now that it is obvious the board/admin are not on the same page, and there seems to be no trust in proven decision makers by people that have no educational background.

Win for West Rusk... not so much for Tatum.

The thinking is they need someone with championships and that's who they want to go after. That's the word on the street by the blinking light in Tatum

The problem is those people have better jobs than this one. Comprehend that You can waste another month chasing someone instead of hiring someone who wants to be there

I will say it slowly for you; not everyone wants to come to Tatum. The arrogance that this is a premiere job that everyone wants is ridiculous.

The thinking is they need someone with championships and that's who they want to go after. That's the word on the street by the blinking light in Tatum

The problem is those people have better jobs than this one. Comprehend that You can waste another month chasing someone instead of hiring someone who wants to be there

I will say it slowly for you; not everyone wants to come to Tatum. The arrogance that this is a premiere job that everyone wants is ridiculous.

aint tatum good in other sports?

"School boards are a group of community leaders elected or appointed by a school district to help set policy for local schools. Similar to the way a corporate board provides governance and oversight, a school board monitors fiscal responsibilities and budgets, and helps incorporate a community’s vision of what students should know and be able to do." -Houston Chronicle

The quote above came from a story in the Houston Chronicle. I have never understood why the school board has to approve all hires. Nowhere does it say that the job of the board is to hire and fire teachers, coaches, administrators, etc. Superintendents, principals, and athletic directors are hired to run the school. Why not they let them do their job?

I don't hang out at the blinking light and I don't really care what the word on the street is.

Tatum is a premiere job, for a small school guy. Now, did the Board set their sights too high? Maybe.

Did they make a mistake by not hiring Frazier, who obviously wanted to be there? Maybe.

Has the Board put themselves at a disadvantage because of the perceived dysfunction between them and the Administration? Maybe.

But my point is, identify what you want in an AD/HFC, find someone with those traits and then find a way to get them to Tatum.

I don't hang out at the blinking light and I don't really care what the word on the street is.

Tatum is a premiere job, for a small school guy. Now, did the Board set their sights too high? Maybe.

Did they make a mistake by not hiring Frazier, who obviously wanted to be there? Maybe.

Has the Board put themselves at a disadvantage because of the perceived dysfunction between them and the Administration? Maybe.

But my point is, identify what you want in an AD/HFC, find someone with those traits and then find a way to get them to Tatum.

Not a soul said Frazier wasn't deserving of the job. Maybe there is another guy deserving of the job that fits the direction they want to go a little better. Most are jumping to their own conclusion and crucifying our board not truly knowing any details of the situation. What they know and discuss isn't common knowledge....to form a conviction off of hearsay and fragments of a situation is unjust.

Y'all can sugar coat it if you want too, but seams like the board didn't want him. Explain the direction a little more to me please?