Chavis McCollister Tenaha

SMBALLER61

Terry Teagle is a name that I haven't heard in a while. I heard he could take money off the top of the backboard. Best pro career by any east Texan in basketball I believe as far as points. From little Broddus Texas. Any way I would not mind seeing a highlight of Chavis. He was special. The fact he is still competing at a high level is pretty spectacular.

• Like 1

Yep, legend has it that Terry Teagle could touch the top of the backboard. I was only about 7 or so when I saw him play, but it was obvious that he was the guy that we couldn't stop.

I'm pretty sure Broaddus won 3 state Championships in a row. 76,77, and 78.. My hometown Shelbyville was also very good at the time, and Broaddus only beat us by 1 point in our gym, but blew us out in their place.

A few years later we would get a little revenge by winning State in 82 and 84 with another legendary East Texas player Jeff Chumbley leading the way both years. He kind of fizzled in college, but I'm pretty sure it was because of not being ready for the lifestyle. Not lack of talent... A great all around guy, and very humble. One of the best to ever do it on the high school level in this area.

We used to play basketball year round in Shelbyville. Last school period consisted of some legendary hoops.. After the 33-0 year in 1984 toward the end of the school year I have seen as many as 20 college recruiters in the bleachers during that last period watching us play pick up ball. They were there to see Chumbley. Then the story goes south, but I won't mention names. But, there was a new Thunderbird, and some credit cards involved :)

Although I never saw McCollister perform any of the amazing feats reported here, I do remember hearing his name a lot awhile back. Clearly, he is a Legend & I agree with sville87 that the man deserves to be memorialized with his own fathead! Get on that sville87... Make it Happen!😋

• Like 1

Although I never saw McCollister perform any of the amazing feats reported here, I do remember hearing his name a lot awhile back. Clearly, he is a Legend & I agree with sville87 that the man deserves to be memorialized with his own fathead! Get on that sville87... Make it Happen!😋

same here. I just remember his name in paper and news. I'm curious how he landed at a JUCO and not a D1....

same here. I just remember his name in paper and news. I'm curious how he landed at a JUCO and not a D1....

I've always felt that Dwight Smith is the greatest RB to ever play for Carthage & that he was destined for greatness in the NFL. Some of these gifted athletes just have so much turmoil in their life that they lose focus on making it onto the "Big Stage" where fame & fortune await them... That, or an unfortunate career ending injury kills the Dream...

I found some footage of Chavis on youtube from his freshman year in 1995. It was against Overton, and I think it might be a bi district game? The quality of the video is decent.

I haven't had a chance to really break it all down, but he throws 3 or 4 td passes in the portion of the game that is uploaded with one throw of about 50 yards in the air back across his body for a touchdown completion.. Not bad for a true freshman! He makes several nice throws in the video, but there aren't any runs. He also makes a really nice interception on defense.

I will provide a link, and time marks when I get a chance for anyone that might be interested.. Hopefully more footage will emerge?

I'm not sure the school would be of much help? I hear they have been bugged tremendously about the subject.. I don't doubt it one bit.

I have spoken to some folks from Tenaha though that are helping me work on it.

This pursuit has actually turned into a hobby, and it has opened the door for other opportunities to find footage of other athletes.. In fact I actually found some footage of my dad playing football in 1965! Just so happens a guy from Timpson had film of the game, and recently had it converted to digital. The whole game is on youtube it's Timpson vs. Shelbyville 1965.

I played against Chavis and Teneha in the 97 and 98 seasons during the playoffs. He ended our season both years. We had several players including myself that went on to play small college football. He was a man amongst boys. He once out ran me backpedaling and flung a ball 70 yards over my head on a rope. We actually put that play on OUR highlite reel. I don't know if he is the greatest 1a player I have ever seen (been coaching at the small school level for 11 years now) but he is certainly in the conversation.

I believe he was not recruited at the D1 level because of some issues with grades (just rumors not sure). Also calling him 5'9 was spotting him a couple of inches.

However he is deserving of the title of High school legend and most if not all of the stories are true!

My claim to fame was that I registered 5 sacks on him in a two year span. LOL i had to use his name to validate my own ability.

He was a great player!!!

• Like 2

He was a stud at Tarleton as well, but I think may have gotten injured. He was the real deal.

Also a stud at Trinity Valley Community college. He was just inducted into their Hall of Fame. Guy played football and basketball. And was first all american in JUCO and Offensive MVP for his conference.

http://www.athensreview.com/news/local_news/tvcc-inducts-seven-into-hall-of-fame/article_3f7621a6-7c2e-11e5-a005-2751449dd42c.html

http://tvccsports.com/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/20150729342jd9

• Like 1

I've always felt that Dwight Smith is the greatest RB to ever play for Carthage & that he was destined for greatness in the NFL. Some of these gifted athletes just have so much turmoil in their life that they lose focus on making it onto the "Big Stage" where fame & fortune await them... That, or an unfortunate career ending injury kills the Dream...

I'm from Carthage. I never saw Dwight Smith play, but I did see Kris Briggs play, and that guy was something special. I remember watching him and Ja'mar Toombs cover alot of grass in the old Carthage v Kilgore rivalry games.

I'm from Carthage. I never saw Dwight Smith play, but I did see Kris Briggs play, and that guy was something special. I remember watching him and Ja'mar Toombs cover alot of grass in the old Carthage v Kilgore rivalry games.

Briggs comes from a really nice family. His Dad is a couple years younger than I am. I must admit not having seen Kris play, though I have heard he was an awesome athlete as well. If Smith could have had been Blessed to have had as stable an upbringing as Briggs, he would no doubt be playing in the NFL right now, In my opinion.