garrison job

ibleedorange

Three 0-10 seasons last 6 seasons

5-55 last 6

What constitutes a "great hire" here?

Looking to learn

Don't remember ever seeing an abundance of talent at Bandera and Dawson.. Maybe I missed it. Have you see it?

THREE state titles count for something.... THREE

Surely I am misunderstanding things. HIs record the last 6 years isn't 5-55? Wade Phillips just won a Super Bowl as a DC too. Being a good assistant or coordinator and a good head coach are 2 different things. I am sure he is a "good guy" as has been reported but you have to be competitive and 5-55 isn't competitive.

Well ill break the mold i guess. 3 Finalists were (could be one more but three i heard):

Coach Barrier- O/C Jasper (Dropped out/turned down (rumor)?)

Coach Richard Strickland -DC Henderson

Coach Larry Prince.

Best of luck to Coach Strickland! Heck of a football coach, and been apart of some really special programs!

Hell of a coach and a man! would have been a great and energetic guy to have defensively minded but knows how to mess with defenses as well from an offensive stand point. Henderson is lucky to have him.

All due respect to the other candidates, as I'm sure Coach Strickland was an outstanding candidate, Larry Prince is an outstanding individual and a great football coach. The truth is he's been in some tough situations the last few years in regards to talent level. He's the last HC to take Bandera to the playoffs, and then the talent dropped off the table like you can't imagine, just in time for a new district to be put in place. At Dawson, they improved each year he was there while having almost nothing to work with. In the end, what you have is a great football mind, coupled with a man that will be a role model for Garrison's kids, will promote ALL athletic programs, push academics, and is certainly a man of God. Garrison will be proud of this hire very soon.

All due respect to the other candidates, as I'm sure Coach Strickland was an outstanding candidate, Larry Prince is an outstanding individual and a great football coach. The truth is he's been in some tough situations the last few years in regards to talent level. He's the last HC to take Bandera to the playoffs, and then the talent dropped off the table like you can't imagine, just in time for a new district to be put in place. At Dawson, they improved each year he was there while having almost nothing to work with. In the end, what you have is a great football mind, coupled with a man that will be a role model for Garrison's kids, will promote ALL athletic programs, push academics, and is certainly a man of God. Garrison will be proud of this hire very soon.

They won one district game that year to get in. Great guy, I agree. Roll model? Absolutely!! A proven head coach? Far from it!! Wish him the best, but you can't say he has a proven track record!!

Hhhhmmm.... Guess I was wrong when I said one of them must of been from Carthage! I don't know the guy they hired or the above mentioned... But honestly, it stands to reason if you want a winning program, go after Scott Surratt's or Jeff Traylor's coaches, especially those that have moved on to other AD/HC positions. They know how to win. (Yes, I know Coach Traylor is no longer at Gilmer but he still has coaches in East Texas.) Any of the ones I mentioned in my previous post that have either moved on or are currently coaching under Surratt are all young, great coaches & leaders and would have done a terrific job. I believe any school district looking to fill the AD/HC position would not have to look too far if they interviewed any of those guys.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't his overall head coaching record like 30-100? It's seriously that important for a school to hire a guy with head coaching experience that has a record that terrible?? Would you rather have a guy with head coaching experience that has averaged winning 2 games a year over the course of his career, or maybe take a chance on a coordinator that has been a part of some incredibly successful teams. Yeah I'm sure he's a great guy and a man of God and all that good mess, but if that's what they really wanted they should've hired the local Baptist preacher.

• Like 1