Longhorns 2016 Thread

Baron

My personal opinion is some big money donors are worried Herman won't be available if needed in 2018. I think Strong has shown enough to stay at least one more year. Although our defense was horrible early in the year, that has been corrected for the most part. We have been in every ballgame; we just have to get over that hump. I also think Bedford has to go.

The love for Herman is a strange one. He was an OC at many stops prior to Houston, and he was LOADED with talent at Ohio State. Would he fit with the current offense at Texas, or would he want to take over? Who does he bring in as a DC? If Dana Holgorsen of WV really thinks our kids are soft, can Strong change that mentality? Or is it going to take a new face at the HC position...

I've seen and heard many people talk about how the defense has improved since Strong took it over. While I agree, I think the question that has to be asked, however, is can he really move forward as both HC and DC? Personally, I don't think so. And if he hires a new DC, which I would imagine he would, then what guarantee is there that it doesn't regress again?

If the play of the defense is part of the discussion when considering to bring him back, those are two questions I think need to be considered.

Again, I would make Strong call D next year and just have a DC in place to implement it... String has called great D. Even last game with the passing TD, it was the right call, the DB was in place, he was just beaten by the WR with a perfect throw from the QB... The DBs were never in the right spot with the old DC and the defense looked completely confused most games (most notably Ok St) until Strong started calling the plays... there is no way he completely changed the defense, it just seems like he knows more of what's going to happen than anyone else on his staff when it comes to defense.

My sources say Strong will be back next year regardless of the outcome on these last two games.

Hard to believe if they were to lose the last 2 he would be retained. That would be back to back 5-7 seasons and no bowl. Would think he would have to atleast beat Kansas.

Wanna put some money on that? I've got $100 that says if they lose the next 2 that Strong is gone.

The impression I'm getting is that if Texas wins this weekend and becomes bowl eligible Strong probably keeps his job. If they win both it becomes very likely. A loss to Kansas would probably be too embarrassing to keep him.

• Like 1

If Texas starts missing out on the state's top recruits then it's time to let Charlie go for sure. Recruiting has been the only bright spot the last 3 years. If that's gone then fire him for sure

He's not going to get them all DB. Recruiting is the one area that you don't have to worry about with Charlie.
  • Like 1

If Texas starts missing out on the state's top recruits then it's time to let Charlie go for sure. Recruiting has been the only bright spot the last 3 years. If that's gone then fire him for sure

If Texas starts losing recruits it will be because of the questions regarding his job status.