Katy's new $61 Million "Mega Stadium"

Slickarick

No Katy ISD school south of I-10 is happy about it. They fought very hard for this stadium not to go up.

I'd still say Allen's is the most expensive but inflation brought Katy's price tag up.

Allen got a "60 million dollar stadium", not sure that Katy is getting the same.

yea only 12,000 seats. I think they are spending to much on amenities and press box and such. its really for the fans right? Going to look amazing and state of the art. So, who is the next district that goes insane on the stadium. Dome stadium maybe getting close with theses price tags.

First of all, another stadium was desperately needed. There are 8 Katy high schools and they all shared Rhodes Stadium. The AD was running into the real possibility of not being able to play all the games scheduled there. This includes triple-booking on Saturdays and potential double-booking on Friday and/or Thursday. God forbid any sort of weather delays/cancellations.

Arguments could be made about the cost, but there is no argument about the need. Katy ISD's population has exploded, but the athletic facilities, specifically football venues, have not matched the growth. Therefore, if there is an absolute need for a stadium, why not make it state-of-the-art and multi-purpose so as to serve as many people in Katy ISD as possible. Plus, as seen in the "yes" vote by the citizens, the money and desire to do something right is there.

I applaud Katy ISD and the Katy ISD voters.

• Like 1

There is already a dome stadium going up in Frisco. It is under the guise of Ford Field and will be used by the Dallas Cowboys, but he 15,000 seat stadium will be the home of Friso ISD high school football as well. This is not a bad investment for a multi-school district like Katy.

Agree. I like it.

I'd hate to be one of the poor taxpayers being fleeced for that unneeded behemoth.....imagine what good all that $$$ would have done had it been spent on actual education......

When's the last time 12,000 people showed up for a science experiment ha!
  • Like 1

First of all, another stadium was desperately needed. There are 8 Katy high schools and they all shared Rhodes Stadium. The AD was running into the real possibility of not being able to play all the games scheduled there. This includes triple-booking on Saturdays and potential double-booking on Friday and/or Thursday. God forbid any sort of weather delays/cancellations.

Arguments could be made about the cost, but there is no argument about the need. Katy ISD's population has exploded, but the athletic facilities, specifically football venues, have not matched the growth. Therefore, if there is an absolute need for a stadium, why not make it state-of-the-art and multi-purpose so as to serve as many people in Katy ISD as possible. Plus, as seen in the "yes" vote by the citizens, the money and desire to do something right is there.

I applaud Katy ISD and the Katy ISD voters.

8 schools sharing one stadium is nuts.. great post!

I don't doubt a new stadium was needed. Should they spend 60 million dollars for one, probably not....but if the tax payers voted for it, then so be it. But I know they can build a suitable stadium for far less money. New Pflugerville ISD stadium is being built for about 22 million.

http://www.huckabee-inc.com/Portfolio/Projects/PISD-New-District-Stadium/10052

I don't doubt a new stadium was needed. Should they spend 60 million dollars for one, probably not....but if the tax payers voted for it, then so be it. But I know they can build a suitable stadium for far less money. New Pflugerville ISD stadium is being built for about 22 million.

http://www.huckabee-inc.com/Portfolio/Projects/PISD-New-District-Stadium/10052

So Pflugerville stadium will seat two thousand less and cost 38 million less. That's peculiar. :rolleyes:

This is a huge win for FISD. The total cost is $115 million, and the Cowboy's pay for all upkeep. Not sure exactly how much FISD is contributing to the project though. The stadium will seat 12,000, which is plenty of room. Certain games will be split between stadiums as FISD still owns Memorial stadium which seats 9,000, and Frisco opening its 10th high school. Apparently Toyota Stadium will be pro soccer only now. Great set up!

Seems like a big price tag to only seat 12000 people... and from the pictures ive seen, it doesnt even have that "Wow factor" that you get at a lot of other places... Allen ISD at least has the WoW factor right despite having to redo the stadium :D

Frisco ISD really hit the jackpot by teaming up with the Cowboys for this project. 1st HS to have a domed facility. The $115 million dollar price tag includes various retail and food business that will be located at the facility along with an Omni Hotel. It was a big fight to see what school would get to play in it on opening week. So on opening week of HSFB all of the Frisco schools will play each other starting Thursday night through Saturday evening.

This is a huge win for FISD. The total cost is $115 million, and the Cowboy's pay for all upkeep. Not sure exactly how much FISD is contributing to the project though. The stadium will seat 12,000, which is plenty of room. Certain games will be split between stadiums as FISD still owns Memorial stadium which seats 9,000, and Frisco opening its 10th high school. Apparently Toyota Stadium will be pro soccer only now. Great set up!

Ok...Memorial Stadium....Is that the one and only "old Coon" Stadium????....sorry for not being "politically correct" on this....what I remember of that stadium was the P.A. system was more elaborate than the stadium.....bet it was 20,000 watts of SHEER POWER.....could hear the announcer all the way in McKinney!!!!!!!....For the "Mega" Stadium i Katy....reminds me when I was growing up in the Panhandle.....a farmer would build a barn...and to "open the barn" would have a barn dance....complete with "Catholic" liquid refreshment...then the next farmer in the area who would build a barn..his barn 1 foor longer and 1 foot wider so HE would have the BIGGEST BARN in the area and then have a barn dance to "open it up"...."keeping up with the Smith's and Jones's sounds like to me.....LOL