LE Bond Proposal

From the Texarkana Gazette

Propositions for renovations, new school to go before voters May 7

Proposition 1 asks for $19.9 million for repairs to existing buildings and new construction. Proposition 2 asks for $985,000 for improvements to Harris Field, specifically new turf on the field, track resurfacing and upgrading the restroom and concession facilities.

"We've all been working very hard to try to get the best bond issue for the welfare of the students of the school district, plus also taking into consideration what this means, the financial commitment the voters of this district would make," Superintendent Roger Hailey said. "It's just time now."

That timing is key, said district spokesman Matt Fry. He said the Texas Legislature has released EDA bonds, where, over the course of the bond, the state would pay 36 percent of the total.

Current tax rates sit at $1.26. Proposition 1 would bring taxes to $1.36, and adding Proposition 2 would bring taxes to a total of $1.37. That comes to $6.08 per month per each $100,000 home value. Those rates would still be some of the lowest in Bowie County, as Redwater ISD is just lower at $1.27, with the remaining schools taxing higher than L-E.

Administrators are proposing to close the C.K. Bender Elementary campus, which would save an estimated $430,000 per year. Those students would be moved to the Primary Campus, where existing buildings would be completely renovated and new facilities built for a proposed cost of $15.3 million.

"The whole front of the building, we will still keep the shape and facade of the rock building," Fry said. That building was constructed in 1936, he said, and is an icon to many former and current students.

A new kindergarten addition with six new classrooms and a special education suite would be built at the pre-K campus for an estimated $1.7 million, Fry said.

At the middle school, the roof would be replaced for $450,000, and a new CTE building would be built at the high school for $1.2 million.

Proposition 1 also includes $750,000 for heating and air system replacement across the district.

For Proposition 2, Fry said stadium renovations are needed.

"During our playoff run this year when the weather was bad, our field was so wet it was unusable and we actually had to bus our football team to Pleasant Grove every day to practice," he said.

Board Member James Keeton said he supported the propositions 100 percent.

"I really think it's very important that we make a good decision in trying to get these schools built," he said. "I've talked to a lot of people in the community that for a long time had opposed bonds, but they see what our district's doing and they think they're buying in because they (the students) deserve it. We have great students."

In other business, trustees approved the school calendar for 2016-17, which includes a winter break and a spring break aligning with the Easter holiday. Board members also voted to create a Records Management Policy for handling archived records which are currently managed by RCI.

Board members also approved putting district property, at 3501 S. Lake Drive, officially up for sale, as Hailey said he expects a firm offer on the property within a month.

Keeton voted against the resolution, saying he thought it would diminish the district.

"I don't think that we should sell the property," he said. "I think it is a very valuable piece of property that one day it will be worth more than what probably we're going to be able to get for it."

The next regular meeting is scheduled for March 17.

Not sure if this has a chance to pass or not. Does not seem to be much money in that area and the residents are more concerned with saving a few bucks than having the schools improved. Remember going to a game at Harris MANY years ago and was a dump way back then. I feel that LE-ISD has fallen to the worst district in the city and way behind PG and TISD. Even TA-ISD seems ahead of LE. Good luck with all that tho.

track has been resurfaced a few times, new iron fence put up last year i think, and the field house was completely renovated about 10 years ago or so.

thats about all i can remember thats been done. lol. i guess the money just hasnt been there, but the turf is needed badly. the stadium could use a complete overhaul, but turf is definitely the most pressing need there

Probably not but what for it may only get filled one game a year.... You will have better concessions and restrooms tho lol

Concessions are a problem...if/when they open up, we mob them & they are sold out

Restrooms are not a problem for the guys...we go under the bleachers...girls are on their own...at least they are not as bad as ours or Kilgore

It was my job to be at high school football games all over Texas and Arkansas. L-E's stadium is not nearly as bad as some think. However, it does need turf. New Concessions will be a big plus. Chairback seats in the stands would be great addition. New bathrooms are needed. I'd love to see a new pressbox with elevator, but it's probably not going to happen in my lifetime. And most of all the school district needs upgrading for the kids' sake. I'll vote for both and urge everyone else to consider. But believe me there are schools out there wth sad facilities. I do believe folks have pride and want the best for the kids in L-E. Public education everywhere is in trouble in my mind and we should do everything we can to make it better.

It was my job to be at high school football games all over Texas and Arkansas. L-E's stadium is not nearly as bad as some think. However, it does need turf. New Concessions will be a big plus. Chairback seats in the stands would be great addition. New bathrooms are needed. I'd love to see a new pressbox with elevator, but it's probably not going to happen in my lifetime. And most of all the school district needs upgrading for the kids' sake. I'll vote for both and urge everyone else to consider. But believe me there are schools out there wth sad facilities. I do believe folks have pride and want the best for the kids in L-E. Public education everywhere is in trouble in my mind and we should do everything we can to make it better.

Nice! And yes pressbox won't happen but scoreboard will only because it will be sponsored

Nice! And yes pressbox won't happen but scoreboard will only because it will be sponsored

if we can get it sponsored lol. the bank that sponsored everyone else in towns scoreboards wouldnt help LE out at all.

The pressbox is bad...but i believe if built a new one, it would have to have an elevator, believe that is in some building code or something.

new bathrooms/concessions would definitely be a nice facelift though. I almost want to say a bleacher expansion, but we have so many

bandwagon fans i dont think we need them. years like last year when we are winning, you cant find a seat, couple years before that there was nobody at the games

if we can get it sponsored lol. the bank that sponsored everyone else in towns scoreboards wouldnt help LE out at all.

The pressbox is bad...but i believe if built a new one, it would have to have an elevator, believe that is in some building code or something.

new bathrooms/concessions would definitely be a nice facelift though. I almost want to say a bleacher expansion, but we have so many

bandwagon fans i dont think we need them. years like last year when we are winning, you cant find a seat, couple years before that there was nobody at the games

The key to that post was Bandwagon lol you hit it right on point No real fans I wish the students had a little bit more pride also I'd love to see the student section move closer to the field and make some noise but.......

And yes (Farmers Bank) sponsored all of the city's new scoreboards but not for us, smh but hopefully we will get a blessing in disguise! As far as Press Box yes it will have to have a elevator which will be a problem according to some..