2016 College Baseball Thread

JohnnyFootball

Great job by the pitching staff today getting the 1-0 shutout by great relief performances by Vinson and Ecker. Really glad to see RC go with Ecker there and ride him through the 9th.

He made wonderful decisions regarding pitching last night. The leadoff guy for A&M scored and then nobody else scored the entire game. A few big plays in the game:

-Facing his last batter, Larkins gave up a double in the gap that the runner at first had to hold up on every so slightly because there was a chance Choruby would've got it. This hold up kept him at third instead of scoring to tie the game.

- Vinson came in right after the above play and struck out the batter, giving A&M the second out of the inning without allowing the run to score and keeping them off the board.

- Vandy hit a double off the top of the wall that bounced up and back IN to the field. How that didn't get out, I have no clue, but thankfully it stayed in.

- Austin Homan made a diving grab against the first batter in the top of the 9th to make up for his 2 errors earlier in the game. Had he not dove and caught the ball, it would've easily reached the fence and Vandy would've had a runner on 2nd with nobody out, a scenario where they most likely could've scored, although Ecker was absolutely DEALING last night.

Huge, extremely exciting win in spite of the score only being 1-0. It wasn't had hitting- it was stellar pitching and very strong defense (Vandy's first baseman robbed A&M of at least 2 hits, one doubling off a runner and the 3rd baseman stopped one or two). Now I'm greedy and want to win today too!

Simmonds was one error away from a perfect game as he completes the no hitter vs Vandy to take the series! Needed only 83 pitches to complete the game. I've never seen that few of pitches! What's the least amount of pitches ever?

Simmonds was one error away from a perfect game as he completes the no hitter vs Vandy to take the series! Needed only 83 pitches to complete the game. I've never seen that few of pitches! What's the least amount of pitches ever?

That is one hell of a game to do it vs Vandy

Was at the game (all 3). After the Thursday game, I thought that was one of the finest pitching performances (granted, it was combined) that I'd seen, especially from Ecker. And then Simonds continued his performance from the weekend before. Couldn't believe Vandy didn't start taking a lot more pitches, especially in the 6th, 7th, and 8th... ANd of course the 4-pitch 9th.

Not to be too technical, but was it a perfect game or a no-hitter?

Neither.

It WOULD have been a perfect game on the 83rd pitch. No walks, no errors, no hits. But the umpire blew the call at first on the last out, ruling the runner safe (when he was out) so it was an infield single, blowing the perfect game AND no hitter. Heartbreaking, no? Hence why it's given the nickname of "The 28-out Perfect Game".

Although that umpire is the best in baseball and admitted his mistake and felt bad about it.

Neither.

It WOULD have been a perfect game on the 83rd pitch. No walks, no errors, no hits. But the umpire blew the call at first on the last out, ruling the runner safe (when he was out) so it was an infield single, blowing the perfect game AND no hitter. Heartbreaking, no? Hence why it's given the nickname of "The 28-out Perfect Game".

Although that umpire is the best in baseball and admitted his mistake and felt bad about it.

Sorry I didn't follow ut. Thought it may have been one of those strikeouts in the dirt where the runner made it safely to 1st making it 28 outs :D

A&M plays South Carolina tonight in game 1. It just doesn't get any easier for A&M...

The sec might be the deepest it's ever been this year.... Florida, A&M, South Carolina, Miss St and Vandy are all legit top 10 teams. Cram Lsu and ole miss in that 10-15 range. I honestly think 7 of the top 15 teams in baseball are from the sec. That's ridiculous...

What happened to the west coast teams this year?

The sec might be the deepest it's ever been this year.... Florida, A&M, South Carolina, Miss St and Vandy are all legit top 10 teams. Cram Lsu and ole miss in that 10-15 range. I honestly think 7 of the top 15 teams in baseball are from the sec. That's ridiculous...

What happened to the west coast teams this year?

I'm sure they will emerge in the tournament

It's a strange year for the West Coast schools. I can't decide if they're all good and just beating up on each other or if they're all just average this year. Utah is leading the Pac 12. Oregon is a .500 team. From what I've seen, the pitching on that side of the baseball country looks a little down this year. I can see the SEC getting at least 5 national seeds this year and you can make a case for 6.

It's a strange year for the West Coast schools. I can't decide if they're all good and just beating up on each other or if they're all just average this year. Utah is leading the Pac 12. Oregon is a .500 team. From what I've seen, the pitching on that side of the baseball country looks a little down this year. I can see the SEC getting at least 5 national seeds this year and you can make a case for 6.

They "deserve" 5 national seeds.... Florida, A&M, South Carolina, Miss st, Vandy. They probably won't get but 4 with Vandy being left out. The selection committee just won't give 5-6 national seeds to one conference.

I don't think the west coast schools are beating each other up. They just seem mediocre all around this season.

You're right about the committee seedlings. They'll spread the seeds around. I should have said deserve 5 and could make the argument for 6. If you put LSU, Oke Miss, or even Kentucky in any other conference this year, they'd be Top 10. I would say A&M and Florida are the best teams I've seen this year and I hope they lock up in the SEC tournament finals.

Weird day for the pitching today as the Ags got destroyed every pitcher they trotted out. Dropped game 3 to South Carolina 10-7 but still win the series.

Note here, A&M is essentially a 100% lock for a national seed regardless what happens over the next 4 games of the regular season. But in those 4 games they can either finish 1st or as low as 5th in the sec conference. That's insane to me. Clinch a national seed but can't even guarantee a top 4 finish in conference.

Weird day for the pitching today as the Ags got destroyed every pitcher they trotted out. Dropped game 3 to South Carolina 10-7 but still win the series.

Note here, A&M is essentially a 100% lock for a national seed regardless what happens over the next 4 games of the regular season. But in those 4 games they can either finish 1st or as low as 5th in the sec conference. That's insane to me. Clinch a national seed but can't even guarantee a top 4 finish in conference.

I'd like to think so, but there's always some stuff that happens that keeps us out of the NS. I think it'll take a series win before I feel supremely confident in a national seed, but we SHOULD be good as-is.

I'd like to think so, but there's always some stuff that happens that keeps us out of the NS. I think it'll take a series win before I feel supremely confident in a national seed, but we SHOULD be good as-is.

Nah man the Ags are a 100% lock at this point. Probably the number 2 overall seed right now but even if they go 0-4 over the week they will be the number 5 seed. The SEC is going to get 4 national seeds this season, and A&M is definitely one of them regardless. Now ole miss could change their fortune and sweeping A&M in CS might get them in as the 5th SEC national seed, as they are possibly the 9th or 10th team in the talks now even without the big road series win they could potentially get.

I don't see them sweeping A&M at home though. I don't think they win the series either but it's certainly not out of the blue if they do.

I just can't see the SEC getting 4 national seeds. That'd be unheard of. Literally, I don't think it's ever happened.

You're right- I don't see us getting swept, but you never know. We looked really bad today. Pitchers just couldn't throw strikes. I hope that's not a trend starting and was just one of those days.

I just can't see the SEC getting 4 national seeds. That'd be unheard of. Literally, I don't think it's ever happened.

You're right- I don't see us getting swept, but you never know. We looked really bad today. Pitchers just couldn't throw strikes. I hope that's not a trend starting and was just one of those days.

The sec is just very good and very deep this year, while the rest of the country except for the sec is down. There isn't a single team farther west than Lubbock that's even in the picture for a national seed. TCU has just simply lost too many games for the big 12 to get 2 seeds. Big 10 might might not get one at all. ACC will get 2-3 in Louisville and Miami being locks and NC state, and Florida st in the discussion, and there isn't any other smaller conference team in the running.

I mean the committee literally can't justify not giving the sec 4 seeds. I mean they are going to have a hard time justifying not giving them 5 to be honest, but I was being a realist. Florida, A&M, and Louisville are easily the 3 best teams in the country and will get seeds. Miss st, Miami and Texas tech will get 3 of the other seeds. So out of the remaining 2 seeds, who gets them? ole miss, Florida st, Vandy, South Carolina, NC st and Virginia. My guess is South Carolina and Florida st. That's 4 sec, 3 ACC and 1 big 12. Vandy, NC state, Virginia and TCU being the next few teams left out.

I agree that 4 SEC, 3 ACC, 1 Big XII is how it SHOULD be, but you have to remember that the committee does everything they can to spread things out geographically. I'm just saying that until we're granted a national seed, I can't rest easy.

Now, if we beat Ole Miss 2 out of 3, then I'll feel better. You know, as of right now, A&M could finish between 1st and 6th in the conference? If we finish 6th, the committee could try to pull some crazy bull where they say A&M was 6th best in the conference (never mind they played Vanderbilt, Florida, and South Carolina from the East whereas teams like Ole Miss played the weaker teams) going on record alone.

I havent followed the schedule that much lately, but did DBU drop off? They were killing it earlier in the season

They are still solid. Not in the top 25 but still will make a regional. They are doing fine in conference, they just haven't been able to get the big non conference wins needed to be in the top 25 considering how weak their conference is.