2016 College Baseball Thread

JohnnyFootball

Texas blows a 7-2 lead in the 9th, then gives up 3 in the the 11th to lose 10-7 to Cal.

I watched this entire game... I was a little disturbed at how they gave up those 5 runs in the 9th... Cal basically just out-hustled Texas to get on base and extend the game.

I may get hammerd for saying this but I think it's time for Augie to step down. I think the game has passed him by.

It's funny... Every time Texas fans say that, he surprises everyone with a trip to Omaha. I'd wait to see how they perform in the postseason before burying Augie. Cal is a very tough team, and Texas is still figuring out their team and getting into the swing of things. If they do things like blow 5 run leads all season, it might be time to worry, but until Big XII play, I wouldn't panic.

• Like 1

It's funny... Every time Texas fans say that, he surprises everyone with a trip to Omaha. I'd wait to see how they perform in the postseason before burying Augie. Cal is a very tough team, and Texas is still figuring out their team and getting into the swing of things. If they do things like blow 5 run leads all season, it might be time to worry, but until Big XII play, I wouldn't panic.

No matter what happens I think the game has passed him up. JMO.

I have always struggled with the comment that "the game has passed him up" when it comes to baseball. I understand it when it comes with football or basketball. But not baseball. In baseball it boils down to hitting, fielding, and pitching. Can you do that? It is not that you have to come up with some elaborate offensive or defensive scheme to take advantage of your speed or size. In football there is always some "new" offense that comes into vogue (zone read, option, power I, etc.). Even the defense scheme changes periodically. But how does the game change in baseball? The "small ball" coaches or the "3-run homer" coaches (Earl Weaver) have always been around.

• Like 1

I have always struggled with the comment that "the game has passed him up" when it comes to baseball. I understand it when it comes with football or basketball. But not baseball. In baseball it boils down to hitting, fielding, and pitching. Can you do that? It is not that you have to come up with some elaborate offensive or defensive scheme to take advantage of your speed or size. In football there is always some "new" offense that comes into vogue (zone read, option, power I, etc.). Even the defense scheme changes periodically. But how does the game change in baseball? The "small ball" coaches or the "3-run homer" coaches (Earl Weaver) have always been around.

I completely agree with this. Baseball is baseball. There isn't much scheming involved except for situational stuff.

I don't think the game has passed Augie up, I just don't think he has adjusted well to the new baseball.

I had the manager of the Shreveport Captains tell me once the hardest decision he has to make is when to take a pitcher out of the game. He said he never had run into a pitcher that would tell him "I don't have the stuff tonight".

He also said his biggest concern was his sodium level from the massive amount of sunflower seeds he went through.

I'm not a baseball guy. Seeing that the Athletic training profession hasn't found a way to prevent the UCL tear (tommy John) I'd have a hard time teaching real shoulder and elbow fundamentals... So the job seems harder to me than anything a coach tells me...

I had the manager of the Shreveport Captains tell me once the hardest decision he has to make is when to take a pitcher out of the game. He said he never had run into a pitcher that would tell him "I don't have the stuff tonight".

He also said his biggest concern was his sodium level from the massive amount of sunflower seeds he went through.

I'm not a baseball guy. Seeing that the Athletic training profession hasn't found a way to prevent the UCL tear (tommy John) I'd have a hard time teaching real shoulder and elbow fundamentals... So the job seems harder to me than anything a coach tells me...

Very good point that I've never thought of... Several of the most fundamentally sound mechanics type pitchers still have shoulder and elbow issues. Why not let the kid who has a funky delivery that's hard to pick up as a hitter get more looks lol.

Very good point that I've never thought of... Several of the most fundamentally sound mechanics type pitchers still have shoulder and elbow issues. Why not let the kid who has a funky delivery that's hard to pick up as a hitter get more looks lol.

It's an extremely rare occurrence that a softball pitcher has a UCL tear... Its a preference of a top baseball pitcher these days to tear it early in their career that way the surgically repair ligament offers more support and actually allows them to have a longer career...

Game 2 vs Fresno is about to begin.

A&M won the first game 3-2 on two HRs, one by Hunter Melton on his birthday. Fresno's starter went complete game and only gave up 5 hits.... and lost 3-2. Tough break for him, but him trash talking led to high tensions later in the game. A&M barely hung on at the end.

A&M beat Fresno Saturday and Sunday. Saturday's game required a 10th inning and after Fresno State scored in the top, A&M scored 2 in the bottom to win in walk off fashion. One of the most exciting games I've seen at Olsen. And then Sunday it was a blowout at 12-1.

So tomorrow it's A&M vs Texas. I have my two tickets and saw that on Flash Seats, the absolute cheapest you can get them is for around $110. So glad I have tickets, even if it is just a Tuesday game when all is said and done. Anyone else going?

A&M beat Fresno Saturday and Sunday. Saturday's game required a 10th inning and after Fresno State scored in the top, A&M scored 2 in the bottom to win in walk off fashion. One of the most exciting games I've seen at Olsen. And then Sunday it was a blowout at 12-1.

So tomorrow it's A&M vs Texas. I have my two tickets and saw that on Flash Seats, the absolute cheapest you can get them is for around $110. So glad I have tickets, even if it is just a Tuesday game when all is said and done. Anyone else going?

I've got a buddy who graduated from A&M, he and I were going to go, but the last we checked, it's sold out.

It's sold WAY out.

Cheapest tickets are around $100.

For a freaking Tuesday game. Ridiculous.

Would have loved to have had this a weekend series. Those types of attendance numbers and demand for a Tuesday night game would have made a great atmosphere for a Friday and Saturday night battle.