Kids today, but Mostly, Parents today...this is punishment?

CarthDawg77

Students made to stand out in cold as punishment

Sia Nyorkor

Feb 19, 2016 18:53

BRIMFIELD, OH (WOIO) - Third grade students at Brimfield Elementary were disciplined on Wednesday because of a few students misbehaving.

The students were made to stand in a line, in the cold as punishment for behavior on the playground.

Jennifer Lohr says students need discipline but not in this way.

"I'm all for disciplining children and they need those boundaries that discipline provides but I think they should expect certain disciplines and when you give them something that's outside of that, I just think it makes them feel unsafe," she said.

The students were already outside for recess but a concerned parent tells Cleveland 19 the students were made to stand in a line and told to stand still for over 15 minutes.

On Wednesday there was snow and temperatures were in the lower 30s.

"I wouldn't like it, I would go talk to them and I would expect whoever made the decision to be disciplined," said Lohr.

Principal Barbara Werstler did not return calls but the Superintendent of Field Local School District, David O. Heflinger released the following statement:

"This past Wednesday at Brimfield Elementary School, students were made to stand outside as punishment for behavior on the playground. The circumstances of this punishment should not have happened and was wrong. Steps are being taken to make certain it never happens again. Additional training will be provided to the monitors on student behavior and how to handle any future occurrences that should arise. The Principal will be creating a new system to go along with the Positive Behavior Interventions Supports Program (PHIS) to establish an acceptable protocol."

Follow Cleveland 19 News:

Students made to stand out in cold as punishment

Sia Nyorkor

Feb 19, 2016 18:53

BRIMFIELD, OH (WOIO) - Third grade students at Brimfield Elementary were disciplined on Wednesday because of a few students misbehaving.

The students were made to stand in a line, in the cold as punishment for behavior on the playground.

Jennifer Lohr says students need discipline but not in this way.

"I'm all for disciplining children and they need those boundaries that discipline provides but I think they should expect certain disciplines and when you give them something that's outside of that, I just think it makes them feel unsafe," she said.

The students were already outside for recess but a concerned parent tells Cleveland 19 the students were made to stand in a line and told to stand still for over 15 minutes.

On Wednesday there was snow and temperatures were in the lower 30s.

"I wouldn't like it, I would go talk to them and I would expect whoever made the decision to be disciplined," said Lohr.

Principal Barbara Werstler did not return calls but the Superintendent of Field Local School District, David O. Heflinger released the following statement:

"This past Wednesday at Brimfield Elementary School, students were made to stand outside as punishment for behavior on the playground. The circumstances of this punishment should not have happened and was wrong. Steps are being taken to make certain it never happens again. Additional training will be provided to the monitors on student behavior and how to handle any future occurrences that should arise. The Principal will be creating a new system to go along with the Positive Behavior Interventions Supports Program (PHIS) to establish an acceptable protocol."

Follow Cleveland 19 News:

Since they were already outside what's the big deal?

Since they were already outside what's the big deal?

They were made to stand still ? I don't get it either, because they probably had coats, gloves, and toboggans on. I would much rather have this punishment than the winter punishment we had when I was in school. We would have to do wall seats or froggies for 15 minutes, and after 5 minutes your thighs were on fire.

They were made to stand still ? I don't get it either, because they probably had coats, gloves, and toboggans on. I would much rather have this punishment than the winter punishment we had when I was in school. We would have to do wall seats or froggies for 15 minutes, and after 5 minutes your thighs were on fire.

They just beat th' tar out of us!😜

They just beat th' tar out of us!

Carth....wish it was just TAR that was beat out of us(my generation)...our school district had a policy...1st time in office...1 lick...2nd time 2 licks and 3 times ...3 licks....4th...well NEVER SAW 4 times by anyone...think it was suspension.....THEN got double at home....AND was yelled at while the beating was administered....DIDN'T I TELL YOU...WHAT DID I SAY!!!!!..as we got beat!!!!!

Carth....wish it was just TAR that was beat out of us(my generation)...our school district had a policy...1st time in office...1 lick...2nd time 2 licks and 3 times ...3 licks....4th...well NEVER SAW 4 times by anyone...think it was suspension.....THEN got double at home....AND was yelled at while the beating was administered....DIDN'T I TELL YOU...WHAT DID I SAY!!!!!..as we got beat!!!!!

Same here, Bud!😱😆

It was really bad for a kid whose mother worked for the school. 9 times out of 10, she would know I was in the office before I even left it. So her not knowing what I did to get in trouble was not a possibility. So, yes, at least DOUBLE when you got home. Or worse, "Just wait till your daddy gets home!"

It was really bad for a kid whose mother worked for the school. 9 times out of 10, she would know I was in the office before I even left it. So her not knowing what I did to get in trouble was not a possibility. So, yes, at least DOUBLE when you got home. Or worse, "Just wait till your daddy gets home!"

Blue.....MY dad was the doctor in small Panhandle town...AND school board president....and he smoked like a FREIGHT TRAIN!!!!....worst beating I ever received was by him IN the principal's office.....was sent to office by English teacher for NOT handing in homework on time....walked into office and dad and HS principal siting at desk SMOKING!!!!...I just stood in the doorway and my father asked what I wanted...told him Ms. Lamb the English teacher had sent me to the office...SIR,,,,,asked Principal what the "protocol" was....said 2 licks since my 2nd time in office....(I was a "trouble maker");;;;Dad got up grabbed the board and said HE would take care of the situation....placed my hands on the counter and awaited my LICKS....ONE....TWO.....I stepped aside....my father all 5'8" 145 lbs of him asked...hey hey hey what are you doing???!!!...I said this was my 2nd time to the office....He SAID I KNOW...I AM TAKING CARE OF WHEN YOU GET HOME....YOU GOT TWO MORE YOUNG MAN!!!!!....took the other 2....then he handed the board to the principal and said....HERE YOUR TURN!!!!.........RESPECT..that is what we had for authority....I NEVER even thought of arguing over discipline!!!...would have been too painful!!!!!

• Like 1

Blue.....MY dad was the doctor in small Panhandle town...AND school board president....and he smoked like a FREIGHT TRAIN!!!!....worst beating I ever received was by him IN the principal's office.....was sent to office by English teacher for NOT handing in homework on time....walked into office and dad and HS principal siting at desk SMOKING!!!!...I just stood in the doorway and my father asked what I wanted...told him Ms. Lamb the English teacher had sent me to the office...SIR,,,,,asked Principal what the "protocol" was....said 2 licks since my 2nd time in office....(I was a "trouble maker");;;;Dad got up grabbed the board and said HE would take care of the situation....placed my hands on the counter and awaited my LICKS....ONE....TWO.....I stepped aside....my father all 5'8" 145 lbs of him asked...hey hey hey what are you doing???!!!...I said this was my 2nd time to the office....He SAID I KNOW...I AM TAKING CARE OF WHEN YOU GET HOME....YOU GOT TWO MORE YOUNG MAN!!!!!....took the other 2....then he handed the board to the principal and said....HERE YOUR TURN!!!!.........RESPECT..that is what we had for authority....I NEVER even thought of arguing over discipline!!!...would have been too painful!!!!!

The fact that things like this no longer happen is what is wrong with our country.

It must be murder on the kids now with the global warming we have experienced typically known as winter.

THAT'S THE PROBLEM RIGHT NOW....THERE HAS BEEN NO WINTER!!!!!!...son thought he was "cool" down here in Texas...wearing shorts when it was 50 degrees....NOW goes to school in Nebraska....wore shorts to class week before last...in the BLIZZARD.....texted me BEGGING for a winter coat....we got him one for Christmas BUT "forgot" to take it with him.....sent to him "by 3rd class mail"....HA HA LOL LOL....just got by "pony express"....he is THANKING ME DAILY!!!....us old fogies don't know SQUAT......or do we???

I would have much rather taken licks, except from two coaches. Coach Moye and Coach Shipp could swing a paddle. They should have been tennis coaches, because they'd lift you off the ground.

We had one teacher who stopped using the "board of education" when the state said it had to be done in private, I.e. the office. She said she couldn't get a running start in the office. When she swung the board, that whole wing of the school knew it.

We had one teacher who stopped using the "board of education" when the state said it had to be done in private, I.e. the office. She said she couldn't get a running start in the office. When she swung the board, that whole wing of the school knew it.

😱 I think I KNEW that woman!!!😜

True...in 1980 I was teaching at Little Rock Central....1st week of my first teaching job.....had 2 young men acting up in class...sent them outside to stand to wait for the AP....AP shows up...ducks his head under the door to get in and asked if I was having trouble with the 2 young men in the hallway...I said YES...HE said Coach bring your BOE(board of education) with you....sent ONE of the boys on down to the office BUT one young man had said as he was walking out IF YOU KNEW WHO MY DADDY WAS...went outside and he asked for the board...tapped the wooden floors and EVERY DOOR down the hallway opened up....told me give this young man 2 licks....whap...whap...MR LANIER...the AP....tapped me on the shoulder and said coach coach...let me show you how to do this.....WHAM WHAM...handed me the board and said GIVE HIM 2 MORE COACH.....man, i was thinking...sure was glad I paid my dues to N.E.A. whap whap....2 more licks and Mr. Lanier....(WILLIE)(KC Chiefs Willie Lanier)...tapped me on the shoulder and said...Coach let ME show you one more time how to do this....WHAM WHAM.....handed me the board and said...AND I QUOTE....."The Next time MY SON gives you any trouble let me know!!!!....those two young men became MY BEST FRIENDS!!!!!

True...in 1980 I was teaching at Little Rock Central....1st week of my first teaching job.....had 2 young men acting up in class...sent them outside to stand to wait for the AP....AP shows up...ducks his head under the door to get in and asked if I was having trouble with the 2 young men in the hallway...I said YES...HE said Coach bring your BOE(board of education) with you....sent ONE of the boys on down to the office BUT one young man had said as he was walking out IF YOU KNEW WHO MY DADDY WAS...went outside and he asked for the board...tapped the wooden floors and EVERY DOOR down the hallway opened up....told me give this young man 2 licks....whap...whap...MR LANIER...the AP....tapped me on the shoulder and said coach coach...let me show you how to do this.....WHAM WHAM...handed me the board and said GIVE HIM 2 MORE COACH.....man, i was thinking...sure was glad I paid my dues to N.E.A. whap whap....2 more licks and Mr. Lanier....(WILLIE)(KC Chiefs Willie Lanier)...tapped me on the shoulder and said...Coach let ME show you one more time how to do this....WHAM WHAM.....handed me the board and said...AND I QUOTE....."The Next time MY SON gives you any trouble let me know!!!!....those two young men became MY BEST FRIENDS!!!!!

Me. Lanier needs to be Secretary of Education.

Me. Lanier needs to be Secretary of Education.

Boys, when I say he had to DUCK under the door to get in he had to DUCK and move sideways thru the door.....hands gripped the board like a pencil....and "lighting up the britches" was a BIG UNDERSTATMENT....I still get Christmas cards from those two young men....that was 37 years ago....discipline has gone OUT the window.....case in point...had a young man in 8th grade yesterday assault the JH principal because he did not agree with the discipline he was given for acting out in class......IF I had acted act in class the principal would have been the LEAST of my worries.....sorry to say this but I have to agree with HILDIBEAST...it takes a village to raise a child.....I think I got more "whoopins" from towns people than I did from my parents....would be over at friends house...they get in trouble...WE ALL LINED UP FOR THE WHOOOPIN!!!!....was worse if we didn't!!!!!!!