Troup Basketball Coach: I’m Losing My Job Because I Testified For Dennis Alexander Read More: Troup Basketball Coach: I’m Losing My Job Because I Tes

Guest 4to3

This is unbelievable. I can't believe he is airing this out, this is after be put it on Facebook last night. He may be a great coach but right wrong or indifferent this is a horrible move on his part. This is just a bitter guy trying to get back at the district. There is more to the story than is being told.

This is unbelievable. I can't believe he is airing this out, this is after be put it on Facebook last night. He may be a great coach but right wrong or indifferent this is a horrible move on his part. This is just a bitter guy trying to get back at the district. There is more to the story than is being told.

Tell us the rest of the story then.

Astin Greer and I traded a couple of email earlier on Thursday, and what he told me was pretty much right down the lines of what was quoted in ETSN article.

In fact, here's the email, and if you want to insinuate there's, "something else not being told," than say it, but please back them up with facts and not just an emotional opinion based on who you support. If you don't want to post something, email me at [email protected].

A final note, Coach Greer hasn't been offered anything at Center I.S.D. at this time. We'll see what occurs based on the offers he does receive or will receive in the near future.

Thank you.

David Smoak

=====

Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 3:24 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Troup ISD Athletics

Was informed by our interim athletic director today that my contract would not be renewed at Troup ISD.

Received a perfect evaluation last month from the principal, and turned the basketball program in the right direction...after they went 0-32 last year.

Monday, there was a hearing for Dennis Alexander's termination and I was the only Coach that spoke up for him.....2 days later I was informed that I won't be welcomed back next year.

I guess that's part of the business! If speaking up for what's right will cost a man his job, then America needs to re-visit the basic principles that it was found upon.

Astin Greer, M.Ed

Former Head Basketball Coach

Troup High School

Troup is just completely embarrassing themselves through this whole situation kinda hard to go back when you just told the guy he was doing a good job and cant wait for the next season. Sad to hear it, I know its in the schools rights to do this but if your going to stab someone in the back for telling the truth then you deserve to have your dirty laundry aired out. Hope he lands on his feet.

• Like 1

I don't know what his class room duties were but if his reviews and evaluations were good no need to fire the dude just because he did what he thought was right. i wish probationary contracts were more and "not being a good fit" was not an option. So, opinionated. Now, bad evaluations and reviews then that's fine. Interesting situation here.

I love the people that come on threads like these and insinuate that "there is more to the story here than is being told".

So bring it. Do it already, tell us what the "Rest of the story is".

And I fail to see how telling the truth is somehow being bitter. These small town schools and they asinine politics where they think it is ok to ruin peoples lives for their amusement while anyone who goes to Church with the School Board or Superintendent can do anything they want and have a job for life NO MATTER how useless they are as a teacher or Coach.

Whether you like it or not the truth is the truth. And if you think it is ok to ruin a Coach and his families life they you need to be tough enough to face them putting the truth back in YOUR face. What exactly IS the right forum for this sort of thing? The truth is there is NOT. You people want to run good people off for your petty political reasons and you want them to leave and do so quietly so as to not hurt anyones feeling.

I am betting that there are a BUNCH of folks in Troup ISD who are from Troup. Wonderful, beautiful, nothing wrong with that. The question is, when exactly was the last time someone FROM Troup was let go in Troup ISD?

• Like 6

When you are asked questions by a lawyer your answer should be "Yes" or "No". The worst thing you can do is say yes but its ok because I do it also. It was a public hearing gentlemen. And just a heads up he got that job in Center a month ago, that would be before anyone testified for or against Dennis Alexander.

How'd he get a job there if he hasn't been offered anything from there?

Bull Spit. That is a total complete and absolute lie and nothing more than a cheap attempt to besmirch a mans character.

The TRUTH is that Troup ISD is looking like the biggest bunch of clueless morons this side of Navasota. And if you do not like being told that you are covered in mud and smell like manure quit rolling around in pig pens.

This has been a WORLD CLASS example of how petty small town politics can be from the very beginning. I am ECSTATIC that Coach Alexander is fighting this tooth and nail even though he KNOWS that he is done in Troup. MORE Coaches should do this, but it is a sad fact that the School Board and Administrations in these small towns KNOW that a young Coach with his whole career in front of him and a family to worry about will just about always quietly go on down the road no matter how speciously he is being treated.

Let the truth come out. EVERY single bit of it. And some of you folks need to stop trying to assassinate the character of people through innuendo if you have something to say , SAY It and quit beating around the bush like you have some big secret that only you are in possession of.

The TRUTH is the truth. If you cannot handle the truth (yes I know Jack Nicholson blah blah blah) perhaps you should not put yourself in a position to where that if the truth is exposed you will look bad. Personally am curious how some people go through life. It must be REALLY hard to keep the lights off in your home and all the mirrors covered up like you were Hebrew and "Sitting Shiva" so you would not have to look at yourself in the mirror.

After DECADES of trying to help young people reach their potential, to learn positive life lessons that will serve them as good parents, spouses, citizens, while witnessing the so called "leaders" of these communities exhibit behavior that is EXACTLY opposite of what the great majority of coaches teach and model, I am sick of it. And after these communities run off good men and women, they sit next to each other at Church and the cafe and smile and pray with each other and pretend that none of it ever happened and that they are all out for what is "best for the kids".

Makes me want to puke.

• Like 1

Telling the truth is never a horrible move.

When you are asked questions by a lawyer your answer should be "Yes" or "No". The worst thing you can do is say yes but its ok because I do it also. It was a public hearing gentlemen. And just a heads up he got that job in Center a month ago, that would be before anyone testified for or against Dennis Alexander.

I NEVER cease to be amazed at people that can lie so EFFORTLESSLY and without shame. Simply amazing. And make NO mistake, I am calling you a liar SPECIFICALLY about that Coach getting a job in Center a "month ago". NOBODY in Center has offered a job to this Coach. NOBODY. Not a month ago not a day ago not a year ago. This is NOTHING more than a pathetic attempt at trying to deflect attention away from where it belongs with Troup ISD and the people who are calling the shots there.

And BTW since it was so well known that he was leaving, then why exactly did the Troup ISD in all its magnificent glory have to non-renew him? First time I have EVER heard of a school doing that to someone that was leaving.

Accusations are false....afrer looking at the Coach's work history it appears that him and Bowman worked together at Pine Tree....that's it. If he was going to Center with Bowman he would've left with him when they were both at Pine Tree instead of going to Troup.

Troup is a place that is always full of rumors and gossip. This is an attempt at them trying tarnish the names of the head football coach and the basketball coach.

Newsflash: if you are Subpoenaed to speak in a court setting, YOU HAVE TO GO. He did the right thing and in the end he will come out on the better end of this entire mess.

I really expect him to end up going back to Pine Tree!

Bitter? What if the coach had misconduct with a student or some type of relationship with another married teacher? They would be dragging him through the mud. Don't take that route! This is a well respected African American coach....he has done nothing wrong. He followed the orders of legal paperwork and 2 days later he's told that his contract is not going to be voted on.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what's going on here. He was man enough to put himself out there and speak on it which most folks are scared to do; and, consequently they are just forgotten about and they take the hand that they are dealt!

If I read it right, he would have been non-renewed in the end.....he does not want that on his record....especially after the great job that he has done at Troup. I watched Troup play last year and they were God Awful.....it looks like he at least had them competing this year!