Cameron Yoe - OPEN

Yoe09

I'm curious as to what some people in Cameron expect in non football sports as under Coach Rhoades these things occurred:

1st ever state baseball title

Furthest advance ever in boys basketball (3rd round)

Furthest advance ever in girls basketball (4th round)

Girls track state title

Boys track 3rd at state

Girls track area champs and advanced multiple athletes to track (2015)

Boys track district champions while in district with state champions (2014)

Softball 1st playoff appearance in many years (2015)

Volleyball 3rd round in 2015 in addition to consistently making the playoffs

Powerlifting multiple state titles and regional competitors

In addition to 3 state football titles and 5 finals appearances I think the athletic program would be the envy of most

• Like 1

I'm curious as to what some people in Cameron expect in non football sports as under Coach Rhoades these things occurred:

1st ever state baseball title

Furthest advance ever in boys basketball (3rd round)

Furthest advance ever in girls basketball (4th round)

Girls track state title

Boys track 3rd at state

Girls track area champs and advanced multiple athletes to track (2015)

Boys track district champions while in district with state champions (2014)

Softball 1st playoff appearance in many years (2015)

Volleyball 3rd round in 2015 in addition to consistently making the playoffs

Powerlifting multiple state titles and regional competitors

In addition to 3 state football titles and 5 finals appearances I think the athletic program would be the envy of most

Yes, we are far from terrible in most sports and a good amount of programs are fairly consistent. I personally thought Coach Rhoades did about as well as you could as far as supporting other sports and trying to succeed there.

Yes, we are far from terrible in most sports and a good amount of programs are fairly consistent. I personally thought Coach Rhoades did about as well as you could as far as supporting other sports and trying to succeed there.

Maybe it is just a smoke screen put in play by some one in the community promoting the hire of the home boy coordinator. Kind of like the Temple Tx hire, best fit for our community, not the best coach available. If the ex Navasota coach plus several other big time coaches are passed by because they were not the best fit for the community, the Cameron fan base may roar like a lion. Good luck search committee could be a tricky hire, especially if you follow the Temple Tx blue print of hiring. Follow Temple football a bit and I believe Coach Spradlin was a out side hire who fit the Temple community pretty well after numerous failed attempts at hiring a competitive head coach for their program. Cameron fan base may not be very forgiving, as the posts indicate.

For Cameron to be consistently better in most sports, it is not going to take less emphasis on football. It will take a desire and want to from the parents/ kids to be better in those other sports by developing their skills with select leagues/proper coaching in the off-season. Talent also comes into play. In 2011 we had what was probably the most successful athletic year ever when we won the lone star cup. We do not have that kind of seasoned talent in the system right now with regards to other sports. We played for state in football in 2010, but guess what, we competed for state in several other sports that year as well. There is only so much the athletic director can do.

Cameron is a football town. All you have to do is look back at the record books and it will tell you everything you need to know. We cannot go into this process looking for the best "athletic director". We could bring in the guy from Argyle (which wins the lone star cup every year) - and guess what - things are not going to change much around here until what I mentioned above happens.

Yes, you want someone that has that desire to win in everything, but you have to weigh everything properly. I would have to believe the people in charge of this hire understand that.

Select leagues? Off-season coaching? Are those free? You do know you are talking about a district where 82% of students belong to poverty-level households?

I can agree with PART of that. It would be insane to pass on Fedora. As far as anyone else, it would depend who it is.

How about the Bremond Head Coach?

I guess when it is all over Central Texas that the home town coordinator is the only application that needs to be put in,. I guess quality coaches pull out and start looking else where.

I guess it is getting pretty insane in the Yoe house about now. I guess that is how they want it.

Obviously the Bremond coach would be a good hire.

I'm just saying you'll have a hard time convincing many people that the coordinators who have learned from Rhoades would not be a good hire. Everyone gets their first head coaching job at some point.

I don't know those guys from anyone, I'm just saying that from the outside looking in, it doesn't look like the coordinator would be a bad hire.

Select leagues? Off-season coaching? Are those free? You do know you are talking about a district where 82% of students belong to poverty-level households?

I understand your point and it is a valid one. I was just explaining what I thought would have to be done to be consistent at the highest level in other sports around here.

The only reason this topic was brought up is because of the thought that football could suffer for other sports. I flat out disagree with that on all accounts.

I understand your point and it is a valid one. I was just explaining what I thought would have to be done be consistent at the highest level in other sports around here.

The only reason this topic was brought up is because of the thought that football could suffer for other sports. I flat out disagree with that on all accounts.

I understand your point and it is a valid one. I was just explaining what I thought would have to be done be consistent at the highest level in other sports around here.

and 09 you would be right, football especially in a town like Cameron is the sport that with its success other programs feed off of. Football typically is the only so called self supporting sport in most high schools. A successful football program is a source of pride to the locals and other sports benefit because those same parents want and expect excellence in the other programs at their schools. That makes it harder at smaller schools since there are so many sports but only so many athletes who can compete. Take Refugio for example which has roughly 200 students at their high school. The participation rate for football in 2015 was 91% at that school. Thats an unbelievable percentage of boys who go out for football and some of the other sports suffer because there just only so many sports an athlete can compete in during a school year. For that school football is King and they just dont much care about other sports other than track which is just an extension off the Refugio off season program.

But yes Football is the sport that breeds success in other sports in and ISD in Texas.

I understand your point and it is a valid one. I was just explaining what I thought would have to be done to be consistent at the highest level in other sports around here.

One of the reasons we're so proud of our athletes' accomplishments is that they achieve so highly WITHOUT the benefits that richer-per-capita districts like Brock enjoy.

Under the radar hire for Yoe Just go through the required process to keep heat away. Most in central tx say the in house coordinator is a lock.

Ex Navasota coach may have pulled out, Bremond coach may still be in, offensive coordinators from large schools in.

Lot of the folks on the outside are calling this a country club hire by Yoe. Remember Rhoades was head coach when the titles were won not the home boy, maybe he should have gained experience else where as a head coach and then applied at Cameron. Not just have the job given to him. If the search committee goes against the grain and hires from outside the country club base will throw a fit.

It ain't happening though, the best coach for the position in Cameron will not be hired, it is the home boy's to accept or refuse. I hear the fan base in Cameron gets tougher when you get away from the country club base. Home boy could be in for a tough season if he does not prove to be another Rhoades.

• Like 1

Under the radar hire for Yoe Just go through the required process to keep heat away. Most in central tx say the in house coordinator is a lock. Ex Navasota coach may have pulled out, Bremond coach may still be in, offensive coordinators from large schools in. Lot of the folks on the outside are calling this a country club hire by Yoe. Remember Rhoades was head coach when the titles were won not the home boy, maybe he should have gained experience else where as a head coach and then applied at Cameron. Not just have the job given to him. If the search committee goes against the grain and hires from outside the country club base will throw a fit.It ain't happening though, the best coach for the position in Cameron will not be hired, it is the home boy's to accept or refuse. I hear the fan base in Cameron gets tougher when you get away from the country club base. Home boy could be in for a tough season if he does not prove to be another Rhoades.

That OC from that 6A juggernaut is one of the best coordinators in Texas at developing QB"s and recievers for the spread offense. He also applied at GP along with his ex HC at another 6A program that recently played Denton Guyer at JerryWorld. Now hes back in Austin as the OC at the school that took on Big Bad Katy at NRG.

As someone else said on another thread,hiring from within never works well. Just ask Katy and West Orange Stark. Lol.

No personal issue with home boy DC, assume he is a outstanding citizen.. Every Coach has a right to apply for a coaching or administrator position.

Cameron Yoe has been elite program for years, I am sure that numerous applicants have applied for Head Coach/AD position.

If I were the Cameron fan base I would be looking directly at the search committee, who has the responsibility to choose the best applicant for the vacancy. If the search committee neglects their duties and shows favoritism toward one applicant because he is a Cameron native then I believe the fan base has a problem. Just my opinion.

I am sure there have plenty of failures of in house hires all over Texas. Schools with great athletic talent that just did not achieve their goal, as well as success stories.

It should not take long for the Cameron fan base to find out if the search committee only seriously looked at one application.

Let's see if they declare the finalist list like Temple . What are the odds on that fans.

Basically comes down to what the majority of the fan base will put up with or if a few get their way.

Good luck Yoe fans.

• Like 1

CISD is being real hush-hush about the process, but the more I do hear (and see on social media), the more I have to admit we are likely on the right track - Country club committee is tryin' to get their guy in the office so they have sway over coaching decisions AND save some money. Which is a damn shame, because he really is a good guy. But what's gonna happen is, however good a coach he COULD be, he's not gonna get the chance because they're gonna be in his ear tellin' him how to run the team, on top of "throwin' him to the wolves" in the toughest district in the state. Not to mention supposedly we still have at least a couple good classes of talent, that could go to waste because they don't all have the right last names.(See "Lara, Cristian" in "Rockdale Tigers")

CISD is being real hush-hush about the process, but the more I do hear (and see on social media), the more I have to admit we are likely on the right track - Country club committee is tryin' to get their guy in the office so they have sway over coaching decisions AND save some money. Which is a damn shame, because he really is a good guy. But what's gonna happen is, however good a coach he COULD be, he's not gonna get the chance because they're gonna be in his ear tellin' him how to run the team, on top of "throwin' him to the wolves" in the toughest district in the state. Not to mention supposedly we still have at least a couple good classes of talent, that could go to waste because they don't all have the right last names.(See "Lara, Cristian" in "Rockdale Tigers")

You haven't said a single thing on the 5 pages of this topic that is true. This post is even more of a joke. Please, outsiders do not listen to anything this guy says. He has no idea what he is talking about, and is doing nothing but making Cameron look bad.

This hiring isn't a matter of politics and hiring someone just because they are from Cameron. It is about finding the coach that is the right fit for the current situation in Cameron. How can you sit here and say that the coach who has been solely responsible for calling the defense through 3 state championships and 1 state finalist isn't credible enough? Rhoades had absolutely nothing at all to do with the defense through all the success Cameron has had. Brashear is the only one who made the Yoemen defense good enough to win 3 out of the last 4 state championships. You pair that with a good offensive coordinator who runs the SAME EXACT OFFENSE that they have been running the past few years, with all the same terminology that now has been taught at every single level, and you have the same exact outcome.

Bringing in someone from the outside means that everything changes. Brand new offense to learn, brand new defense to learn. All new terminology to teach at every single level. That could stall everything. Keeping everything the same without having to transition into all new things would be great for Cameron. Plus the kids would be playing for a coach that they know and have played for throughout their entire career.

I say hire from within. Keep everything the same. Coaching staff, defense, offense, terminology, just everything. Everything that the kids already know and can start practicing on from day 1, instead of having to spend weeks and weeks of just teaching everything new. If you have someone in house that can run the ship the exact same as it's been VERY SUCCESSFULLY run the past several years, why go in a direction that will change everything? Cameron has someone that can step in and not lose a single step.

You haven't said a single thing on the 5 pages of this topic that is true. This post is even more of a joke. Please, outsiders do not listen to anything this guy says. He has no idea what he is talking about, and is doing nothing but making Cameron look bad.

This hiring isn't a matter of politics and hiring someone just because they are from Cameron. It is about finding the coach that is the right fit for the current situation in Cameron. How can you sit here and say that the coach who has been solely responsible for calling the defense through 3 state championships and 1 state finalist isn't credible enough? Rhoades had absolutely nothing at all to do with the defense through all the success Cameron has had. Brashear is the only one who made the Yoemen defense good enough to win 3 out of the last 4 state championships. You pair that with a good offensive coordinator who runs the SAME EXACT OFFENSE that they have been running the past few years, with all the same terminology that now has been taught at every single level, and you have the same exact outcome.

Bringing in someone from the outside means that everything changes. Brand new offense to learn, brand new defense to learn. All new terminology to teach at every single level. That could stall everything. Keeping everything the same without having to transition into all new things would be great for Cameron. Plus the kids would be playing for a coach that they know and have played for throughout their entire career.

I say hire from within. Keep everything the same. Coaching staff, defense, offense, terminology, just everything. Everything that the kids already know and can start practicing on from day 1, instead of having to spend weeks and weeks of just teaching everything new. If you have someone in house that can run the ship the exact same as it's been VERY SUCCESSFULLY run the past several years, why go in a direction that will change everything? Cameron has someone that can step in and not lose a single step.

Either you're not familiar with Cameron, or you're one of those country club types trying to defend the culture. If you are, don't get so defensive about it - You're not special. It happens everywhere.But don't try to act like it doesn't happen, because we peons may be poor, but we're not as ignorant as you want to think we are.

And don't try to make stuff up to discredit me - Please go back and copy and paste exactly where I said Tommy wasn't a credible coach? (BTW - Great job yourself discrediting at least a couple other homegrown coaches on the staff by saying Tommy's the ONLY one responsible for the defense's success) Tommy can - and WILL - be a VERY successful coach, IF certain people will LET him. If not, then I'M not gonna be the one who makes Cameron look bad. (God forbid callin' it like ya see it be an admirable quality)

I "haven't said one thing that's true"? HA! Deny, deny, deny - It worked for OJ.

My Tiger and Bulldog friends tell me Cameron fan base wants a Head Coach and AD who will uplift both girls and boys sports programs in Cameron not just win in football.

They have all those new facilities and are mediocre in most of these non football programs. They want to be like Wall, Franklin and Brock, good in everything, not just football.

The fan base is ok with checking out of the football playoffs a few rounds earlier to achieve these goals of more rounded programs.

This makes this search even more interesting and down right tricky to say the least.

The administration gambles the fan base accepts less in football to be better in other sports. If the gamble back fires it could get a little crazy.

The coach with two rings that was by passed by Rockdale years ago, got his rings in football, so he probably won't work in Cameron at this time.

Completely disagree. I don't know the goings on, but you can bet they want to continue to play for and win state titles in football...we're in Texas after all. Football is king...everything else plays second fiddle
  • Like 1