Rushing into first Head Coaching job

supermaroon

I am about a year from graduating and getting into the coaching game. I have a friend in the business that has only been coaching for a couple years but he applies for every small school job that comes open just trying to get his shot at a job. I was wondering what are actual coaches thoughts on this? Should he be taking his time and waiting for a good job or take a chance? I figured it could derail his head coaching career if he crashes and burns on his first job.

He definitely needs more experience in the long run. But taking a chance and even just getting interview experience will never hurt. And the sad thing is, sometimes guys with head coach experience, even with terrible records, get a shot at another HC job before a coordinator with a good resume.

Tell him to join the search firms. They'll find him a spot.

Haha think he may have already done that but I'm sure he'll luck into a job eventually I was just asking the coaches out there what they thought about it. I want to be a head coach one day Ive heard repeatedly to be patient and take your time don't want to burn it on the first head gig.

Haha think he may have already done that but I'm sure he'll luck into a job eventually I was just asking the coaches out there what they thought about it. I want to be a head coach one day Ive heard repeatedly to be patient and take your time don't want to burn it on the first head gig.

Navasota is hiring!!!!!

• Like 1

Super.....been in this business for over 35 years....have been there done that.....tell your "friend"...be patient...he needs to take his time....remember the old saying be careful what you wish for....being a head coach is a title, a responsibility, and a passion....when he can break down film in his sleep, handle #### off parents and players, #### off coaches, and fans that want his head because you are not scoring 100 points a game or you lost to your rival 28-21 when you weren't suppose to even be on the field with them....when he can tackle the emotional roller coaster of your QB not having a place to sleep and your offensive tackle has girlfriend problems.....and YOU have to speak to the Booster Club about the next opponnent that is averaging 400 yds a game and YOUR defense is giving up 400 yds a game to weak sisters of the south plains.....THEN he might be ready for JUST a head coaching job with NO AD attachment.....not even going to go into the AD realm here.....with Title 9....equality $$ for girls sports....and your football team #### and girls teams want same $$ that football is given......glad I can listen to the #### off parent or towns people and say...The "Fire Chief" (AD/HFC) is right over there>>>>>>>>you actually are a fireman...putting out fires....and MOST will not even be football related.......

• Like 1

Super.....been in this business for over 35 years....have been there done that.....tell your "friend"...be patient...he needs to take his time....remember the old saying be careful what you wish for....being a head coach is a title, a responsibility, and a passion....when he can break down film in his sleep, handle #### off parents and players, #### off coaches, and fans that want his head because you are not scoring 100 points a game or you lost to your rival 28-21 when you weren't suppose to even be on the field with them....when he can tackle the emotional roller coaster of your QB not having a place to sleep and your offensive tackle has girlfriend problems.....and YOU have to speak to the Booster Club about the next opponnent that is averaging 400 yds a game and YOUR defense is giving up 400 yds a game to weak sisters of the south plains.....THEN he might be ready for JUST a head coaching job with NO AD attachment.....not even going to go into the AD realm here.....with Title 9....equality $$ for girls sports....and your football team #### and girls teams want same $$ that football is given......glad I can listen to the #### off parent or towns people and say...The "Fire Chief" (AD/HFC) is right over there>>>>>>>>you actually are a fireman...putting out fires....and MOST will not even be football related.......

well said

Thanks for the input for those that actually gave real insight but It really isn't me applying for these jobs but I do have a friend that has applied for North Lamar, Rains, and Community. I like to listen and keep up with if his name has come up for current positions that's why I always ask. I'm a long way away from being qualified to start applying for these kind of jobs. So keep assuming its me and I'll keep laughing at how wrong you are.

If I'm a rookie coach on the come-up, I'm searching for ADs with a solid reputation/successful program and trying to get on his staff as a low-level assistant. Then spend a few years washing uniforms, toting a clipboard, and teaching classes while watching how he runs the program. Good mentoring/apprenticeship goes a long way in coaching, there's so many bad habits that can be learned by rising too high too fast. Look for the guys who do it well, and do it for a long time. They tend to be the ones who've figured it all out. Learn from them, because there's a lot more to it than just a college degree and a certification.

• Like 1

If I'm a rookie coach on the come-up, I'm searching for ADs with a solid reputation/successful program and trying to get on his staff as a low-level assistant. Then spend a few years washing uniforms, toting a clipboard, and teaching classes while watching how he runs the program. Good mentoring/apprenticeship goes a long way in coaching, there's so many bad habits that can be learned by rising too high too fast. Look for the guys who do it well, and do it for a long time. They tend to be the ones who've figured it all out. Learn from them, because there's a lot more to it than just a college degree and a certification.

What a great post. To many brand new Coaches don't seem to want to get their hands dirty. In Coaching business you have to work hard and be patient. Agree with you 100%

What a great post. To many brand new Coaches don't seem to want to get their hands dirty. In Coaching business you have to work hard and be patient. Agree with you 100%

Or know the right people.

Either will do the trick.

Be careful what you wish for.

And tell your friend to get some coordinator experience.

Becoming the HC of a place where in two years you will be just the newest in a long line of fired HC's is not going to help your resume. Their is only one thing that helps you get a job. Experience and who you know. And sometimes I wonder which one of those is more important.

And I will tell you the same thing I tell every other young Coach. You probably think you want to be a QB or WR Coach. DONT DO IT!!!! Learn the Oline! If you do not understand how the OLine works you will NEVER be as good as you want to be. Now if you want to be a DC it does not matter. As soon as you learn how to eat your own boogers without other people seeing you, you will be ready.