DCTF: Ten Stadiums You Have To See

Eagleborn

They should've added Prim in Sulphur Springs.

The only place in Texas where you can witness 1.3 billion different types of insects.

You can add that 2A stadium in Whitehouse to that insect list. Mosquitos were as big as my hand.

This is basically a list of old awful stadiums. The El Paso one looks neat and the One in Cypress is neat. Outside of that, there is nothing the other 8 offer besides maybe a scenic background or a short history lesson and a sore on your butt from the rotting stands you have to sit in...

They should've added Prim in Sulphur Springs.

The only place in Texas where you can witness 1.3 billion different types of insects.

Grimm in Texarkana have some bugs that were not born on earth... Look in the grass next time you are there...

This is basically a list of old awful stadiums. The El Paso one looks neat and the One in Cypress is neat. Outside of that, there is nothing the other 8 offer besides maybe a scenic background or a short history lesson and a sore on your butt from the rotting stands you have to sit in...

Hey! Hey! Hey! We installed aluminum bleachers in 1988, and added chair back seats to one section in 2008. Maybe you should get out of that luxury skybox at Aledo more often.

Hey! Hey! Hey! We installed aluminum bleachers in 1988, and added chair back seats to one section in 2008. Maybe you should get out of that luxury skybox at Aledo more often.

Haha aledo stands are your average run of the mill high school bl3achers... we need some of those jerry Jones seats though...

Haha aledo stands are your average run of the mill high school bl3achers... we need some of those jerry Jones seats though...

We had skyboxes for one game in 2012. For a game with Timpson that had both teams at 8-0 playing for a district title, some folks across Highway 84 from the stadium stood on their roof to watch the game.

I just don't get the fascination with Mesquite Memorial. I know they made renovations, and will be seeing those this year, but it's just a big stadium with a lot of empty seats come game day almost every Friday.

Yeah, it doesn't matter how big/nice the stadium is if there isn't spirited play on the field and a loud crowd filling the stands.

Yoe Field, Cameron, TX

Yeah, Jax played at the old MP stadium in 1984 or 1985 (?) and I remember both teams being on the same side. Strange. Boy, MP has an amazing stadium now.

That was fixed in the 90s, the visitor side was given bleachers on top of the old rock seats. The home side was made a lot bigger. I miss the old stadium, it had a lot more hometown feel than the new stadium.

I just don't get the fascination with Mesquite Memorial. I know they made renovations, and will be seeing those this year, but it's just a big stadium with a lot of empty seats come game day almost every Friday.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it was at that stadium that I watched my younger brother and his team defeat Highland Park 24-14 in a playoff game in 2000. That alone keeps it near the top in my book.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it was at that stadium that I watched my younger brother and his team defeat Highland Park 24-14 in a playoff game in 2000. That alone keeps it near the top in my book.

I will always hate it just because I have to think about that 2005 loss to South Garland in the first round anytime we go there.

We are thinking of re-naming Tomato Bowl the Trump Bowl.

The more you folks diss it and trash it, the more attention it gets.

Yessir . . .

And by the way, Lufkin? We had to send for a hydro-lift to get into the press box. Why is that? Cramped and small, TB is better than that and it's older.

In regards to the question on 20,000 seat Mesquite Memorial. When it was built for about 3mill , there were 2 high schools in town and the annual rivalry game between Mesquite and North had outgrown 12,000 seat Hanby stadium which is on the campus of Mesquite HS. It was the premier high school stadium of its time then and remains the largest ISD stadium in the state , way before the plush sky box 60MM dollar large stadiums that currently do not sit more fans. It was built with equal stadium accommodations, not the usual HOME team set up with 75% of the seating on home side and half of that stadium chairs, will the visitors are sitting on no backed splintered bleachers with port-a-lets.. There have been many big games between the rivals but as the town added 3 more schools and divided the city among the levels there may be empty seats, unlike the one school towns who have been in existence since the early 1900s The stadium has been filled to capacity many games over the years including the NM-Permian game in the days prior to the internet when it was the battle of no.1 Stallions vs no.2 Permian in the USA newspaper rankings. North won that 27-0 before an overflow crowd of 21,000. When schools need a stadium that has equal facilities for an ISD stadium, Mesquite is a top choice. Waco did same thing in building their ISD stadium in 2000. McKinney will probably build an even one to with several schools playing each other. Memorial Stadium was the first of its kind and remains a great venue for football.

Stay safe.

In regards to the question on 20,000 seat Mesquite Memorial. When it was built for about 3mill , there were 2 high schools in town and the annual rivalry game between Mesquite and North had outgrown 12,000 seat Hanby stadium which is on the campus of Mesquite HS. It was the premier high school stadium of its time then and remains the largest ISD stadium in the state , way before the plush sky box 60MM dollar large stadiums that currently do not sit more fans. It was built with equal stadium accommodations, not the usual HOME team set up with 75% of the seating on home side and half of that stadium chairs, will the visitors are sitting on no backed splintered bleachers with port-a-lets.. There have been many big games between the rivals but as the town added 3 more schools and divided the city among the levels there may be empty seats, unlike the one school towns who have been in existence since the early 1900s The stadium has been filled to capacity many games over the years including the NM-Permian game in the days prior to the internet when it was the battle of no.1 Stallions vs no.2 Permian in the USA newspaper rankings. North won that 27-0 before an overflow crowd of 21,000. When schools need a stadium that has equal facilities for an ISD stadium, Mesquite is a top choice. Waco did same thing in building their ISD stadium in 2000. McKinney will probably build an even one to with several schools playing each other. Memorial Stadium was the first of its kind and remains a great venue for football.

Stay safe.

I'm not questioning how nice a stadium it is. But there's absolutely nothing pulling me in there saying I need to go see it just because of a radio tower. We've played there many of times before, and nearly filled the home side by ourselves in 2005. It's just another stadium in my eyes.

I could not agree more. The Dressing Facilities are a DUMP. Other than that Radio Tower there is NOTHING remotely interesting about the place. I can name 50 6A facilities that are better.

Yes at one time it WAS one of the best in the entire state. But the fact is it was NEVER the best. How come those that were better did not make the list? I do not see how just because something was pretty cool thirty or forty years ago makes it worth mentioning now.

So DCTFs article was about best stadiums. Got it.

No. But congrats on being able to sum up my thinking for me so succinctly AND being able to sound sarcastic at the same time. Bravo! I keep forgetting that you are the FINAL arbiter of ALL opinion on this board. Got it.

But even if you think it should be on the list just or that I think it should not does not mean that the person who created the list is wrong anymore than I am right. I think that the guy who compiled the list would be pleased that people are debating the merits of the list he created. Mine is just an opinion. And I certainly never would think that mine was any more valuable than any other.

Personally if I were making a list like that Tatum would be on it. For the reason that how many 3a Schools have something like that???? Yes I know.......but they WERE 3A when it was built.

Yessir . . .

And by the way, Lufkin? We had to send for a hydro-lift to get into the press box. Why is that? Cramped and small, TB is better than that and it's older.

The Stadium and field are better though. We also have a parking lot by the way..

Grimm in Texarkana have some bugs that were not born on earth... Look in the grass next time you are there...

I kid you not, the biggest insect I've ever seen in my life was at Grim in 2009. A got dang grasshopper that resembled a 747.

We had skyboxes for one game in 2012. For a game with Timpson that had both teams at 8-0 playing for a district title, some folks across Highway 84 from the stadium stood on their roof to watch the game.

ive told this story in the Marshall threads in the past. Way back in the 90s, the big pine trees on the back side (scoreboard side) of Maverick Stadium, people used to climb up those (at least 30 feet) and sit and watch the game while drinking beer. I clearly remember a guy falling off of the limb once....

Yessir . . .

Stadiums get attention for 2 things, being amazing and being god awful... which does jville fit?

Hahaha, MavGrad, that's funny.

Look, I've said over and over again on here TB needs a major face lift and it's possible that could happen in the next couple of years.

But to quote DCTF, they called TB "cozy" and "classic" . . so I'll let you you figure out where TB falls LOL!