Dennis Alexander terminated after 4-2-1 vote

Horns85

Whoa whoa whoa, I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding here...

No one is suggesting that a rational, level-headed young athlete who makes an honest mistake during practice/game situations should be bawled out with a profanity-laced tirade from a man-bully of a coach. Not. At. All. However, if you took it upon yourself to volunteer to play varsity football, the coach should hold you accountable to a high standard that demands you perform to the utmost of your capability. Anything less was unacceptable and, frankly, shows a lack of care for the youth himself.

If a kid makes an error because he's still learning and is just trying to do his best, 99 times out of 100 an old school coach would earnestly (but not maliciously) call him out on his error and correct the mistake. But if the athlete is half-arsing it (out of normal adolescent laziness) and/or copping an attitude (because he thinks he's all that), the coach's responsibility (for the good of the young man) is to take him down a peg. The student must know who is in charge, and he must understand there are consequences to not pulling his weight and toe-ing the line. Nowadays we might say he has to "man-up," but my coaches called it "testicular fortitude."

Let me give an illustration of what I and most other "glory days" men on this forum are likely referring to...

I played for (arguably) some of the best coaches ever to come through East Texas. Two of whom were Mike Clyde and Chester Roy. Now, in temperament, they couldn't be more different, but both commanded absolute respect. If I was brother-in-lawing during blocking/tackling drills, Clyde would likely question my manhood in a way that would've made my mother cry if she heard it. When we had the ball, if I moved before the snap, he would yell at me to remove my head from my anus (because, as an offensive player, I should know the freakin' snap count, for crying out loud). But if I got beat on my coverage (due to simply being less talented than the opposing player) or runover by a guy much bigger and stronger, I'd get a good-natured slap on the back and a tactical correction as to adjust for the deficit in natural ability.

Some coaches can command respect with a whisper. They're just that gifted. I never heard Chester Roy raise his voice once in my entire life, but there was always ultimate accountability on some level, whether it was bear crawls until sunset, gassers until I puked, or simply sitting on the bench for an entire game. When I played, there was never a doubt who was in charge and who ran the program. If I complained to daddy that Clyde was coming down too hard on me, my old man would generally side with the coaches first. Shoot, he probably would've made me run laps when I got home. But those were different times, I guess. Better times, I'd wager.

I have no idea exactly what went on in Troup. But you don't coach as long as DA has, and achieve that level of success, without kicking some behinds. Certainly there's coaches nowadays who are buddy-buddy with their athletes, and able to win. But without some level of ultimate accountability, we're all missing the point of youth athletics. Alexander's greatest mistake in this whole sorry situation may be that he has the unique misfortune of being from another era.

No, not everyone ends up joining the military, but everyone (I hope) has to eventually grow up and earn a living. Granted, as a journalist, I never had an editor slap me upside the head for a typo or kick me in the keister for misquoting a city official, but I've certainly been reamed out for getting it wrong. I didn't cry or run home to momma. I didn't request mediation because my boss hurt my fragile everyone-gets-a-trophy sensibilities. No sir, I girded myself like a man, owned my error, and learned from it. As a result, I feel like I've achieved considerable success in my professional and personal life. To that I owe my parents and the teachers/mentors who never let me settle for half-stepping, and loved me enough to put a boot in my behind when I wasn't playing up to my potential. For that, I am eternally thankful.

• Like 2

Any of you boys seen the movie A Few Good Men or as previously mentioned Varsity Blues?

No argument here... coaches should be held accountable, as should administrators, board members, etc. Everyone has to answer to someone. No leader is an end unto himself. Even our Lord submitted to the will of the Father.

A couple of years ago I playfully swatted the back of my Right Tackles helmet after he got up underneath a 6" and drove him twenty yards downfield before landing on top of him.

I guess I should thank my lucky stars that I did not get fired for ruining that special little snowflakes life.

PS he is now a Highway Patrolman after serving as an MP.

• Like 2

A couple of years ago I playfully swatted the back of my Right Tackles helmet after he got up underneath a 6" and drove him twenty yards downfield before landing on top of him.

I guess I should thank my lucky stars that I did not get fired for ruining that special little snowflakes life.

PS he is now a Highway Patrolman after serving as an MP.

Did you have a pretty good relationship with that kid, BCP? I'm guessing that he looked at you like a father, uncle, big brother, etc. As a coach you know who you can deal with a certain way and who you ought to be a little more reserved with. Some need a pop on the helmet and the others you just sit on the bench because you know the pop on the helmet will do more harm than good. I think you guys all appreciate that stuff a little more now than you did back then, too.

Unfortunately we live in a manipulative society. People do things for attention or try to make up stuff to overshadow their deficiencies or mistakes.

When I was coaching Little League Football, as a volunteer, I had a player that told his mama that I was picking on him because he was a minority. The mother confronted me about it and I told her she was in error. She was dating a guy that I have known basically my whole life so I told her to go home and ask him if that was within my character to do such a thing. Apparently she did because I never heard one more comment from her in a negative way. It just really bothered me at the time that a 10 or 11 year old kid could raise such a stink against an adult.

Did you have a pretty good relationship with that kid, BCP? I'm guessing that he looked at you like a father, uncle, big brother, etc. As a coach you know who you can deal with a certain way and who you ought to be a little more reserved with. Some need a pop on the helmet and the others you just sit on the bench because you know the pop on the helmet will do more harm than good. I think you guys all appreciate that stuff a little more now than you did back then, too.

I understand and even agree with what you are saying. But my original point is still valid I think. What exactly did Troup think they were getting when they hired DA? You have to be a SPECIAL kind of stupid to NOT know that he is a take no prisoners old school Coach. When you hire a guy like that you should not be surprised when he does something that IS old school. And personally I do not think what he did was that big of a deal. The only thing he hurt by ALL accounts was that kids pride. Big freaking deal.

• Like 1

I understand and even agree with what you are saying. But my original point is still valid I think. What exactly did Troup think they were getting when they hired DA? You have to be a SPECIAL kind of stupid to NOT know that he is a take no prisoners old school Coach. When you hire a guy like that you should not be surprised when he does something that IS old school. And personally I do not think what he did was that big of a deal. The only thing he hurt by ALL accounts was that kids pride. Big freaking deal.

Agree

So coaches (in general) slapping kids on the head and cussing at them is preparing them for life?

So coaches (in general) slapping kids on the head and cussing at them is preparing them for life?

As a sophomore, I hit the varsity QB in practice one day while playing scout defense. The OC called me a dumb### and slapped me on the helmet. I can't really feel any lasting effects. What the starting O-line did to me on the next play was much worse. I still survived, and have managed to grow up, hold down a job, stay married, raise two children, and serve my community. Maybe this was blown a little out of proportion.
  • Like 5

As a sophomore, I hit the varsity QB in practice one day while playing scout defense. The OC called me a dumb### and slapped me on the helmet. I can't really feel any lasting effects. What the starting O-line did to me on the next play was much worse. I still survived, and have managed to grow up, hold down a job, stay married, raise two children, and serve my community. Maybe this was blown a little out of proportion.

I understand that, but the post I was replying to was making it seem as if its a necessity to have a coach like that. Now I do have a question. If he called you a dumb### everyday or often, do you think it would have had a lasting affect?

I understand that, but the post I was replying to was making it seem as if its a necessity to have a coach like that. Now I do have a question. If he called you a dumb### everyday or often, do you think it would have had a lasting affect?

Do you? Have you seen the effects? Just curious.

No. I don't think he would do that, nor do I think our HC/ AD would have allowed it.I did, however, learn a lesson from it. Is there evidence to suggest that the head slap is an everyday thing with Coach A? If it was, I would think we'd have heard more about it by now.

No. I don't think he would do that, nor do I think our HC/ AD would have allowed it.I did, however, learn a lesson from it. Is there evidence to suggest that the head slap is an everyday thing with Coach A? If it was, I would think we'd have heard more about it by now.

I don't think we would have heard about it IF it was. Just look at these posts. Most here seem to think it makes you a better person so they wouldn't say anything but like I said, I don't know DA's situation so I'm just speaking in general terms. I personally can deal with a head slap but would probably have some choice words with a coach who cusses at me and that would NOT make me a disrespectful child. That's more on the coach

Do you? Have you seen the effects? Just curious.

Nope I have not, but it obviously had an effect on this child and probably other kids in towns all over but they were afraid of backlash like this. Some towns see a winning head football coach as they can do no wrong.

I don't think we would have heard about it IF it was. Just look at these posts. Most here seem to think it makes you a better person so they wouldn't say anything but like I said, I don't know DA's situation so I'm just speaking in general terms. I personally can deal with a head slap but would probably have some choice words with a coach who cusses at me and that would NOT make me a disrespectful child. That's more on the coach

Nope I have not, but it obviously had an effect on this child and probably other kids in towns all over but they were afraid of backlash like this. Some towns see a winning head football coach as they can do no wrong.

Any chance that there might be some small town politics involved?

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Sometimes a coach is the only male role model in a kids life. Life isn't all sunshine, rainbows and everybody gets a participation trophy. You get out of life the amount of effort you put into, just like athletics. Some kids you can use the carrot to help them accomplish their goal, some kids need the stick.

I've been around a few kids that I would like knock upside the head, but would never do it out of hate or anger. Wasn't raised that way.

Leroy Jeffro Gibbs slapping Dinozza up side the head doesn't seem to have hurt him.