Baseball District Schedule Set-up

I think the new direction in High School Baseball is to play both District games in the same week. At home on Tuesday, on the road Friday vs the same opponent, or vice versa. I think this is the best way to get an accurate and true District Champion and playoff seeding.

What says the peanut gallery?

Dont like it at all. Not sure why that will be a better way to find a champion. Teams go through peaks and valleys all year and to play a team twice in one week, that may not have come together yet, to me, makes no sense. Doesnt help a team to hit its stride at the right time, if they are eliminated in 3rd week. The way its set up now, you might beat the team on April 29th that run ruled you on March 21st, thus keeping your chances alive.

I think the new direction in High School Baseball is to play both District games in the same week. At home on Tuesday, on the road Friday vs the same opponent, or vice versa. I think this is the best way to get an accurate and true District Champion and playoff seeding.

You're a moron

Dont like it at all. Not sure why that will be a better way to find a champion. Teams go through peaks and valleys all year and to play a team twice in one week, that may not have come together yet, to me, makes no sense. Doesnt help a team to hit its stride at the right time, if they are eliminated in 3rd week. The way its set up now, you might beat the team on April 29th that run ruled you on March 21st, thus keeping your chances alive.

Agreed.

We already do this in TAPPS and I love it. Keeps you from throwing your ace against the same team twice. One pitcher can't win the district for you. You have to have deeper pitching. A true team usually comes out on top and not just a team with one dominant pitcher.

• Like 1

I think the new direction in High School Baseball is to play both District games in the same week. At home on Tuesday, on the road Friday vs the same opponent, or vice versa. I think this is the best way to get an accurate and true District Champion and playoff

Who is deciding this?

Who is deciding this?

It is a decision by the district coaches. And yes, deeper pitching staffs win. That is the point. You can't ride the coattails of one arm. I think this and all best 2 out of 3 series in the playoffs is the best way to truly determine the best team. Makes coaches develop pitchers and actually coach.

You are probably right, it is being done by a lot of larger school districts, especially in the Metroplex. I can see smaller school districts fighting it.

They don't have to fight it.......its up to the DEC and the baseball coaches of each district to set their scheduling format.......I don't think it will even be considered.......

They don't have to fight it.......its up to the DEC and the baseball coaches of each district to set their scheduling format.......I don't think it will even be considered.......

By fighting it I meant that if a small school coach in a District brought it up at the District meeting, a lot of small school coaches would fight it.

By fighting it I meant that if a small school coach in a District brought it up at the District meeting, a lot of small school coaches would fight it.

Gotcha.......you are probably right, but I seriously doubt a small school coach would even bring it up.......

Our district does it. I like it and the players seem to like it. Gives a series style setup that you see in the playoffs...

It really is the fairest way to do it. Both teams are at the same place physically and mentally, you have to use your pitching staff, not just one arm. It really determines the best TEAM and not just the 4 teams with the best individual. Which is what we are trying to accomplish, right?

What's wrong with only having 1 good pitcher? If a team that has 3 decent pitchers but is considered the "better team" can't beat 1 pitcher, than they're not a better team. A good team overcomes whoever is on the mound for the other team and strings good ABs together and finds a way to win... Period. Some you crybabies just want to face other people's #2s because you can't teach your kids how to battle in an AB and figure out #1 tendencies...

What's wrong with only having 1 good pitcher? If a team that has 3 decent pitchers but is considered the "better team" can't beat 1 pitcher, than they're not a better team. A good team overcomes whoever is on the mound for the other team and strings good ABs together and finds a way to win... Period. Some you crybabies just want to face other people's #2s because you can't teach your kids how to battle in an AB and figure out #1 tendencies...

Everybody has to face the #1's at some point, but you can't win a State Championship with only one pitcher and you can't even win a playoff series if you lose the flip and have to play a best 2 out of 3 with only one pitcher. With this being said, why should you win a District Championship with only one pitcher? I'm not attacking anyone, and I agree that the quality of hitting has diminished greatly. Very few teams with a solid approach at the plate, very little plate discipline and way to many kids who won't let the ball travel and swing at breaking balls early in the count.

It is a decision by the district coaches. And yes, deeper pitching staffs win. That is the point. You can't ride the coattails of one arm. I think this and all best 2 out of 3 series in the playoffs is the best way to truly determine the best team. Makes coaches develop pitchers and actually coach.

Sounds like a good way to punish teams. Team A has only one pitcher, and with this one pitcher they have a chance to win, but Coach for team B is a punk. So to win so he makes the governing body make a rule that helps his team, and hurts his competition. Stinking Commies.

you can't win a District championship with only 1 pitcher now can you?

If you pitch #1 on Tuesday, don't you have to, Theoretically, throw #2 on Friday?

Don't see how playing the same team on Tuesday and Friday changes this.

It is already being done.... all you are trying to do is give the team that can't beat my #1 a competitive advantage. Why punish the team with the best pitcher because yours isn't as good?

• Like 1

I'm old enough to know better.

You can't have a logical conversation with people that allow emotion to enter into the conversation.

you can't win a District championship with only 1 pitcher now can you?

If you pitch #1 on Tuesday, don't you have to, Theoretically, throw #2 on Friday?

Don't see how playing the same team on Tuesday and Friday changes this.

It is already being done.... all you are trying to do is give the team that can't beat my #1 a competitive advantage. Why punish the team with the best pitcher because yours isn't as good?

Actually you can, you can manipulate your pitchers so your #1 pitches against who you want him to. By playing the same team twice in one week, you have to use multiple pitchers. One pitcher can't beat the "good" teams or your "competition for district championship" both times you play them.

Not trying to give anybody the competitive advantage. Trying to determine who has the best TEAM. Best line-up 1-9 and best pitching staff. Actually this concept levels the playing field.

Not trying to give anybody the competitive advantage. You seem to be emotionally attached to the issue and can not see the forrest for the trees for this would artificially take away a teams natural ability to win..Trying to determine who has the best TEAM and that is why you play the game and not make rules to help certain teams and punish others... Best line-up 1-9 and best pitching staff. Actually this concept levels the playing field. No it tilts it in one direction.

Using pap39 logic we should force all teams in football to kick extra points because it is the best 11, and the kicker that makes the best teams... In basketball teams should be required to sub at every timeout so to foster bench depth ,in basketball. Because it is not fair that team A who has 5 players that could beat team B best five and thus beat team B even if team B has a better bench.

• Like 1

I'm old enough to know better.

You can't have a logical conversation with people that allow emotion to enter into the conversation.

Actually you can, you can manipulate your pitchers so your #1 pitches against who you want him to. By playing the same team twice in one week, you have to use multiple pitchers. One pitcher can't beat the "good" teams or your "competition for district championship" both times you play them.

Not trying to give anybody the competitive advantage. Trying to determine who has the best TEAM. Best line-up 1-9 and best pitching staff. Actually this concept levels the playing field.

You aren't leveling the playing field.... you are slanting the playing field towards the team with 2 avg/above avg and away from the dominant pitcher.

Manipulating pitchers so your #1 pitches against the best team is called "Coaching Strategy"... makes sense.

Next, if I have to throw my #2 vs somebody in district every week, then I didn't win with 1 pitcher. I won with 2. Ain't gonna win a District title by losing every other game. The #2 has to be good enough to beat those other teams.

• Like 2

Using pap39 logic we should force all teams in football to kick extra points because it is the best 11, and the kicker that makes the best teams... In basketball teams should be required to sub at every timeout so to foster bench depth ,in basketball. Because it is not fair that team A who has 5 players that could beat team B best five and thus beat team B even if team B has a better bench.

Nailed it!

• Like 1