Lufkin admits to turning in faulty numbers to UIL

Sportsfanatic1

I doubt anything happens considering its a one time offense. I don't think you should have to count students that aren't even eligible to begin with , but you (the school) gets paid by the state no matter what.

I agree. It is dumb they have to count kids who aren't eligible, but everyone else in the state has to count them in their numbers. Everyone has to do it or no one has to do it.

I'm sure there are other schools who were right on the bubble that would love to have their alternative campuses taken off so they could drop a classification.

you always count kids that don't play. Heck, at JT hardly any Hispanics play and they are 55-60% of the school population. So should JT not count them? Should we subtract students in the band from the school enrollment because they don't play?

Snapshot day has been going on for decades. This isn't something new. You can't convince me that Lufkin didn't know how to count up the enrollment for their school.

Honest Mistake. I hope the UIL and others don't make a big deal out of this, But... were talking the UIL here. Lufkin has had clean hands forever. They sure didn't do anything for an advantage of any kind..

Let it go. Lesson Learned.

What's your definition of a big deal? You cannot let a state championship stand when they were not eligible to compete in that classification. I feel bad for the Lufkin kids, but in UIL Athletics -- and in life -- there are negative consequences when you mess up. The consequences should be more severe if you did it intentionally, but there is still a price to pay even if it's unintentional.

• Like 2

Why is school attorney giving information regarding this? Where is an Supt.? An administrator? This is not a legal matter or issue. Someone is attempting to hide!! They are already saying it was turned in by a "former administrator."

If Lufkin is like some bigger districts like Plyler (Alternative School) in Tyler, then other smaller districts send kids there because the smaller school district doesn't have an alternative school in their district. When they do this, they pay a fee to send the student to that alternative school. So, if other districts are sending kids there, then they are paying Lufkin for those kids.

• Like 1

This is pretty sad . . . especially when Jax and Lindale had 1/2 of Lufkin's HS numbers. I guess they wanted to win pretty bad.

What administrator wouldn't know the counting rules and who is included? It doesn't matter where the kids live . . . it matters if they are IN your school district.

And it looks like they tried to do it again this last alignment . . . remember the questions about how many they had and how they had two different numbers for a while?

This is Admin 101. Pretty embarrassing. In all fairness, I don't see how UIL can allow Lufkin to keep any wins or championships. Sorry for the kids, sad, they pay for adut mistakes.

• Like 1

This is pretty sad . . . especially when Jax and Lindale had 1/2 of Lufkin's HS numbers. I guess they wanted to win pretty bad.

What administrator wouldn't know the counting rules and who is included? It doesn't matter where the kids live . . . it matters if they are IN your school district.

And it looks like they tried to do it again this last alignment . . . remember the questions about how many they had and how they had two different numbers for a while?

This is Admin 101. Pretty embarrassing. In all fairness, I don't see how UIL can allow Lufkin to keep any wins or championships. Sorry for the kids, sad, they pay for adut mistakes.

Yep...Lindale and Jax had about half the enrollment. Ridiculous. I bet Lukfin will have their district and state championships taken away from those 2 years. Stinks for the kids but not fair to those they were playing against.

I was going to leave this thread alone, but it what it is. You're an idiot. Yea, it's embarrassing and someone should probably be held accountable if it wasn't a mistake, but let's not start with the "we wanted to win pretty bad" and "we tried it again" bs. Yea, we were struggling the last few years in our top sports, but it's not like we didn't make the playoffs in football and basketball before we dropped down. We weren't on the level of Jacksonville. We've won titles in basically every sport and we've been to the playoffs every year in football since the late 90s. We had just won a district title a few years before we dropped down and went three rounds that same year. The baseball team also went to state a few years ago. Again, we aren't on the level of Jacksonville in football. I doubt we decided after playing in the largest classification since basically forever and holding our own with some of the top teams in the state to "fix" or "cheat" with the numbers. It doesn't make much sense.
  • Like 1

I was going to leave this thread alone, but it what it is. You're an idiot. Yea, it's embarrassing and someone should probably be held accountable if it wasn't a mistake, but let's not start with the "we wanted to win pretty bad" and "we tried it again" bs. Yea, we were struggling the last few years in our top sports, but it's not like we didn't make the playoffs in football and basketball before we dropped down. We weren't on the level of Jacksonville. We've won titles in basically every sport and we've been to the playoffs every year in football since the late 90s. We had just won a district title a few years before we dropped down and went three rounds that same year. The baseball team also went to state a few years ago. Again, we aren't on the level of Jacksonville in football. I doubt we decided after playing in the largest classification since basically forever and holding our own with some of the top teams in the state to "fix" or "cheat" with the numbers. It doesn't make much sense.

What doesn't make sense is you did not know how to count tp get the correct number.

What doesn't make sense is you did not know how to count tp get the correct number.

I don't work for the school. We don't have all of the information to know what happened. So, I'm going to assume it was a mistake by an administrator if they didn't have to count those kids from Stubblefield in the past.

Lufkin ISD did have a new superintendent come on board the year before the last alignment from Coldsprings ISD. This is an administrative boo boo, not an AD or Football HC mistake, Coach Quick was in no way responsible for making these counts. Frankly, I don't know the answer, but someone in the Ad Min offices royally messed up and they almost messed it up again this year. Whether they knew the correct UIL procedures or not, they should have known, plain and simple. Have no idea whether this was just a simple clerical misunderstanding, Brain Freeze or intentional, just don't know. I am sure UIL will decide and I guess that is why Lawyer Haugland is involved at this point of the process. I do feel bad for the kids, because it was adults that were messing things up. As a Lufkin fan it embarrasses me that this mistake was made and is the same feeling for the community as a whole. No need to chastise the Lufkin fans, we had nothing to do with what happen. In fact, I for one am glad to head back to 6A, tired of playing in those smaller stadiums. Just have to wait and see what may or may not happen for us.

• Like 1

Really, Pack 007? An idiot? Wow. What "doesn't make sense" (your words) is your assumption that someone wouldn't do this on purpose. Really? How do you know that? That's like "I didn't mean to not pay my taxes."

Instead of quoting past accomplishments (irrelevant), maybe you should have done what you said to start your post . . . "I was going to leave this alone" and "It is what it is." That's a pretty juvenile response to such charges. And I'm the idiot?

As I said in my post, Lufkin reported wrong numbers TWICE -- in the 2014-2015 realignment AND in this last realignment -- before getting corrected (caught?). I can understand (maybe) one time . . . but twice?

• Like 4

Really, Pack 007? An idiot? Wow. What "doesn't make sense" (your words) is your assumption that someone wouldn't do this on purpose. Really? How do you know that? That's like "I didn't mean to not pay my taxes."

Instead of quoting past accomplishments (irrelevant), maybe you should have done what you said to start your post . . . "I was going to leave this alone" and "It is what it is." That's a pretty juvenile response to such charges. And I'm the idiot?

As I said in my post, Lufkin reported wrong numbers TWICE -- in the 2014-2015 realignment AND in this last realignment -- before getting corrected (caught?). I can understand (maybe) one time . . . but twice?

Who in the world said someone wouldn't do this on purpose? I said it didn't make sense that we did it, which I gave you reasons for that. You're the one assuming that we are guilty of cheating, because "we wanted to win pretty bad". Our past accomplishments and the years that I've mentioned being in the top classification in the state aren't irrelevant imo, considering you gave us "wanting to win pretty bad" as a reason for changing or giving out false information. Now you're suggesting that we tried to give out false information again and got caught or corrected, when you have no proof of that. I don't know why you Jacksonville people are so worried about what's going on in Lufkin anyways. It's not like you were going to take our place in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure you'll continue to be at the bottom of the district next season.

Matt, you continue to imply purposeful intent here, when you don't know and neither do we. I will not go there. I also can clearly understand the other schools in our 5A district the past two years being suspecting of why this happen, how this happen, especially if it has cost them a competition spot in any sport or extracurricular activity the past two years. Someone in the Lufkin Administration bears the responsibility of knowing the rules or doing the right thing. Bottom line, if you do not know, don't assume, ask the UIL for rules, they are a simple email or phone call away. It is not rocket science here. However, lets not accuse criminal intent here until the UIL makes a statement or not. Not fair to imply such at this point. As I said earlier, it is an embarrassment to me as a Lufkin fan that this happened at all.