Why No Instrumental Music in the churches of Christ

RETIREDFAN1

I'm under no delusion, I follow the Word of God, without your false doctrine interpretations ....

I don't interpret, I quote Scripture and agree with it.........you, on the other hand, read Scripture and then do the exact opposite........a tree is judged by it's fruit........figure it out........

I haven't heard anyone respond to Colmes about why they don't still offer animal sacrifices since the bible (OT) commands it...

Because the answer should be obvious for any believer. Jesus sacrificed himself to atone for all sin, so that it may be forgiven through his blood.

Reference Hebrews 10:10

And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

I don't interpret, I quote Scripture and agree with it.........you, on the other hand, read Scripture and then do the exact opposite........a tree is judged by it's fruit........figure it out........

If you agreed with it, you wouldn't be insisting it says something that it doesn't ... I don't think anybody is buying your "interpretation" of the scriptures you posted about saving Grace, musical instruments in church or your radical views of voting ....

If you agreed with it, you wouldn't be insisting it says something that it doesn't ... I don't think anybody is buying your "interpretation" of the scriptures you posted about saving Grace, musical instruments in church or your radical views of voting ....

I quote it and agree with it.......only in your brainwashed mind is that "saying something that it doesn't"........show me where the scriptures teach that we are saved by Grace ALONE......show me a musical instrument being used by the first century church.........show me where God gives us the OK to support evil.........I won't hold my breath.......

I quote it and agree with it.......only in your brainwashed mind is that "saying something that it doesn't"........show me where the scriptures teach that we are saved by Grace ALONE......show me a musical instrument being used by the first century church.........show me where God gives us the OK to support evil.........I won't hold my breath.......

You quote it, then misrepresent the meaning. Multiple scriptures have already been posted showing we are saved by grace and our faith in the Lord, not baptism ... no need to post them again for you to dispute ... just because churches use musical instruments to praise the Lord doesn't mean it's a sin ... again your interpretation is out of bounds ... voting against the Hilldabeast is not supporting evil, it's fighting evil ... only in your narrow radical mind are these things going against the Word of God .... I don't know anyone who is buying your snake oil ......

John 4:24English Standard Version (ESV)

24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

Our worship in this age is not to be the fleshly, outer worship of the OT. Our worship in these last days is to be from the inside, from the heart (in spirit). Our worship in these last days, as in all ages, is to be done in accordance to God's revealed pattern ( in truth).

Not one time in the gathering of Christians collectively on earth as recorded in the New Testament are musical instruments mentioned as a part of those collective gatherings.

Yes, they are mentioned in the fleshly worship of the Mosaic age and the Patriarchal age, but NOT ONE SINGLE TIME in the worship of New Testament Christians on earth in the Gospel age. Those who turn to the practices of the people in the two past ages seeking authority for practices in THIS age, must also accept and do everything else that was commanded in those times.

James 2:10English Standard Version (ESV)

10 For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.

Yes, musical instruments are mentioned in the vision of heaven. That is the age to come after Judgment Day. A different age, a different worship. In THIS age, our example is the New Testament Christians who were following the Apostles doctrine.....Acts 2:42...... That example has not a single instrument mentioned......Why does God allow them in heaven but not on earth???

Isaiah 55:8English Standard Version (ESV)

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts,

neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.

I don't question the Almighty. When He says something, I do it.

Conclusion: the use of musical instruments in worship is an unauthorized addition to Gods pattern.

John 4:24English Standard Version (ESV)

24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

Our worship in this age is not to be the fleshly, outer worship of the OT. Our worship in these last days is to be from the inside, from the heart (in spirit). Our worship in these last days, as in all ages, is to be done in accordance to God's revealed pattern ( in truth).

Not one time in the gathering of Christians collectively on earth as recorded in the New Testament are musical instruments mentioned as a part of those collective gatherings.

Yes, they are mentioned in the fleshly worship of the Mosaic age and the Patriarchal age, but NOT ONE SINGLE TIME in the worship of New Testament Christians on earth in the Gospel age. Those who turn to the practices of the people in the two past ages seeking authority for practices in THIS age, must also accept and do everything else that was commanded in those times.

James 2:10English Standard Version (ESV)

10 For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.

Yes, musical instruments are mentioned in the vision of heaven. That is the age to come after Judgment Day. A different age, a different worship. In THIS age, our example is the New Testament Christians who were following the Apostles doctrine.....Acts 2:42...... That example has not a single instrument mentioned......Why does God allow them in heaven but not on earth???

Isaiah 55:8English Standard Version (ESV)

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts,

neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.

I don't question the Almighty. When He says something, I do it.

Conclusion: the use of musical instruments in worship is an unauthorized addition to Gods pattern.

You just keep trying to convince yourself of your false doctrine .... the rest of us will continue to praise the Lord in song with sweet music that I know he approves of ....

You just keep trying to convince yourself of your false doctrine .... the rest of us will continue to praise the Lord in song with sweet music that I know he approves of ....

I'm not trying to convince myself.....I KNOW what God said and I OBEY Him.....He does NOT approve of additions to His commands......He never has and He never will......THAT is clear from reading Scripture......Hopefully some of the less stubborn and brainwashed members will see this and come to repentance........maybe even you eventually.......

I bet Nadab and Abihu thought God would approve of their worship too in Leviticus 10...

• Like 1

There are some rabbi's in the Orthodox Jewish faith that will not allow instruments to be played at their synagogues because they think that it's work on the Sabbath and Holy Days. What's odd is that there were musicians in the temple of 12 musicians and 12 singers. On various Holy Days in the OT it was required to blow certain horns or trumpets to sound the beginning of those Holy Days. In my opinion, it's similar to plucking corn on the Sabbath. I think playing musical instruments is somewhat the same as Matthew 12 : 1-8. If David could eat the shewbread in the House of God, and he stated God's will in Psalms. Simply because it's not mentioned precisely that musical instruments aren't allowed or allowed should be left to the discretion of His followers today. If there was such a scripture, then I would agree with Colmesneil. There's not, and I have been moved by the Spirit of God many times during the singing of hymns accompanied with various instruments.

While I love Rock and Roll, I'm not a fan of electric guitars which I have seen in Pentecostal churches, and by Petra and Stryper. There's just something about Christian Rock bands that strikes me weird. This is about the only Rock song that I've liked that mentions God :

For some reason the link didn't post, but this is what I believe.

"Question: "Are we supposed to use musical instruments in church?"

Answer: Musical instruments were definitely used in worship in the Old Testament (1 Chronicles 15:16; 16:42; 23:5; 2 Chronicles 7:6; 23:13; 29:26-27; 30:21; 34:12; Nehemiah 12:36; Isaiah 38:20; Amos 6:5; Habakkuk 3:19; see also the introductions to Psalm 4:1; 6:1; 54:1; 55:1; 61:1; 67:1; 76:1). The fact that the New Testament nowhere condemns musical instruments indicates that the Old Testament practice was continued in the New Testament church. The early church was comprised almost entirely of Jews. It is highly likely that they continued using musical instruments in the church, just as they did in Old Testament worship.

So, even without an explicit New Testament reference, it is clear the church can use musical instruments in its worship. However, there is a clear New Testament reference to musical instruments. Ephesians 5:19 declares, "speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord." The phrase "making melody" comes from the Greek word "psallontes" which means "to rub or touch," "to twitch or twang." It was commonly used in Greek to refer to playing a stringed musical instrument. Whatever the case, the Bible neither forbids or commands the use of musical instruments in church. Therefore, the church has freedom to use them if it feels led of God to do so."

For some reason the link didn't post, but this is what I believe."Question: "Are we supposed to use musical instruments in church?"Answer: Musical instruments were definitely used in worship in the Old Testament (1 Chronicles 15:16; 16:42; 23:5; 2 Chronicles 7:6; 23:13; 29:26-27; 30:21; 34:12; Nehemiah 12:36; Isaiah 38:20; Amos 6:5; Habakkuk 3:19; see also the introductions to Psalm 4:1; 6:1; 54:1; 55:1; 61:1; 67:1; 76:1). The fact that the New Testament nowhere condemns musical instruments indicates that the Old Testament practice was continued in the New Testament church. The early church was comprised almost entirely of Jews. It is highly likely that they continued using musical instruments in the church, just as they did in Old Testament worship.So, even without an explicit New Testament reference, it is clear the church can use musical instruments in its worship. However, there is a clear New Testament reference to musical instruments. Ephesians 5:19 declares, "speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord." The phrase "making melody" comes from the Greek word "psallontes" which means "to rub or touch," "to twitch or twang." It was commonly used in Greek to refer to playing a stringed musical instrument. Whatever the case, the Bible neither forbids or commands the use of musical instruments in church. Therefore, the church has freedom to use them if it feels led of God to do so."

Since you go to the OT seeking authority for NT worship, do you also make the daily, monthly, and yearly sacrifices???

making melody with WHAT???? Rubbing or touching WHAT???? Twitching or twanging WHAT???? God clearly says your heart, NOT your harp or any other instrument.......

Since you go to the OT seeking authority for NT worship, do you also make the daily, monthly, and yearly sacrifices???

making melody with WHAT???? Rubbing or touching WHAT???? Twitching or twanging WHAT???? God clearly says your heart, NOT your harp or any other instrument.......

snake oil .....

I believe Jesus was the last blood sacrifice needed

Yet some folks go to the Old Testament worship in an attempt to justify their use of instruments in New Testament worship.......if they are going to seek authority in the OT for practices in their worship, they have to take it all, not just the things they like......so I ask again, do you folks who go to the OT to find authority for instruments also perform the commanded sacrifices? If not, why not???

Yet some folks go to the Old Testament worship in an attempt to justify their use of instruments in New Testament worship.......if they are going to seek authority in the OT for practices in their worship, they have to take it all, not just the things they like......so I ask again, do you folks who go to the OT to find authority for instruments also perform the commanded sacrifices? If not, why not???

No need to go to the OT to justify praising God with song and instruments. Nothing in the New Testament prohibits musical instruments either ...

• Like 1