Why No Instrumental Music in the churches of Christ

RETIREDFAN1

Wow - stretching a definition to fit your interpretation :D

Not one bit......God has always revealed what is acceptable worship to Him.......worshipping Him in any manner other than what He authorized is, by definition, lawlessness.......and I don't interpret, I quote scripture and agree with it.....

We are imperfect, flawed human beings, so how can it be anything but an interpretation??? Why have a mind ???

...and yes, any religious thread with a cameo from yours truly must be long and special :P

We are imperfect, flawed human beings, so how can it be anything but an interpretation??? Why have a mind ???

...and yes, any religious thread with a cameo from yours truly must be long and special :P

We are not allowed to interpret Gods Word.......it is absolute Truth......

2 Peter 1:19-21English Standard Version (ESV)

19 And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, 20 knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation. 21 For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

John 17:17English Standard Version (ESV)

17 Sanctify them[a] in the truth; your word is truth

It's not subject to our imperfect interpretations.....we read it, and believe it or don't believe it.......but we don't get to interpret it......

When God gives a specific command on how He wants something done, all other forms of doing what He specified is excluded.........Plenty of examples of that throughout Scripture........mock all you want.......that's what He said would happen.......

I wasn't mocking at all. I'm wanting clarification on exactly what you consider required by God and what you consider just silly. There is NO mention of instruments not being allowed. There is also NO mention of certain clothing not being allowed. Why would you consider one a holy (albeit silent) command and one just silly mockery? By your view of scripture, both should be unacceptable inside the church.

Logic - Are forks allowed in Church?

CoC - Of course they are.

Logic - Why?

CoC - Because they're not scripturally prohibited.

Logic - Are pianos allowed in Church?

CoC - Never!

Logic - ...and the Bible says pianos are banned?

CoC - No. It's implied because it tells us we can sing.

Fact - That's an interpretation.

God tells us step by step what we CAN. NOT. DO. Why is God vague and deceptive when it comes to this? The answer is - God isn't.

• Like 1

I wasn't mocking at all. I'm wanting clarification on exactly what you consider required by God and what you consider just silly. There is NO mention of instruments not being allowed. There is also NO mention of certain clothing not being allowed. Why would you consider one a holy (albeit silent) command and one just silly mockery? By your view of scripture, both should be unacceptable inside the church.

When God gives a specific command such as use gopher wood to build that ark, or dip seven times in the river Jordan, or sing, then all other forms not specified are prohibited......Noah could not have used cedar, Naanam would not have been cured if he went to a different river or dipped less than or more than 7 times......we can not use instruments........that's when His command is specific.....

The tools we use in carrying out His specific commands are left up to us, as long as they don't change the specified command in any way......nothing is said about the tools Noah used, but we know he used them.....using tools did not change the command to use gopher wood....we are not told how Naanan got to the Jordan, but we know he got there......how he got there didn't change the command to go dip seven times in the Jordan.....the use of songbooks, song leaders, or shaped musical notes in no way change the command to sing.....

When God gives a general command, such as Go, Teach the Gospel, we are free to Go and Teach in any manner that is available and convenient to us as long as we are teaching the Gospel......Facebook, microphones, radio......whatever we can use to go and teach the Gospel......

Logic - Are forks allowed in Church?

CoC - Of course they are.

Logic - Why?

CoC - Because they're not scripturally prohibited.

Logic - Are pianos allowed in Church?

CoC - Never!

Logic - ...and the Bible says pianos are banned?

CoC - No. It's implied because it tells us we can sing.

Fact - That's an interpretation.

God tells us step by step what we CAN. NOT. DO. Why is God vague and deceptive when it comes to this? The answer is - God isn't.

No, that's doing what God said......see the above post......

Playing the piano in church is now "workers of lawlessness" ...... :lol:

Without scriptural authority it is.......l

Playing the piano in church is now "workers of lawlessness" ...... :lol:

Well, you know how it goes. If at first you allow a piano, someone will want to play a trumpet. Then someone wants to play a guitar. Then all of the sudden someone wants to pull beating hearts out of small children and eat them at the Communion Table.

Slippery slopes.

• Like 1

God directed him to use gopher wood and only gopher wood. God never said you must sing and only sing. God said you should sing. I can use whatever tools I want to make that music because God clearly loves music in worship.

If a mute can't sing but can makes an offering of joyful music to the Lord with a flute, is the mute going to hell for doing so?

I'm not suggesting in any way that you shouldn't believe how you want. I encourage it. but to claim some sort of holy righteousness over everyone because your denomination (yes....it's a denomination, and so long as there are signs on the building separating it from other Churches, then it will continue to be one) doesn't allow an organ in the door....well that just blows my mind. It really does, especially considering that instruments were allowed in God's worship before Matthew....and commands that there be instruments after Jesus' return, and nowhere in the middle does it prohibit them. We're just supposed to imply a vague, yet absolute, commandment or we're going to hell?

• Like 1

....The tools we use in carrying out His specific commands are left up to us, as long as they don't change the specified command in any way......

So using a French Horn changes God's command to sing?

God directed him to use gopher wood and only gopher wood. God never said you must sing and only sing. God said you should sing. I can use whatever tools I want to make that music because God clearly loves music in worship.

If a mute can't sing but can makes an offering of joyful music to the Lord with a flute, is the mute going to hell for doing so?

I'm not suggesting in any way that you shouldn't believe how you want. I encourage it. but to claim some sort of holy righteousness over everyone because your denomination (yes....it's a denomination, and so long as there are signs on the building separating it from other Churches, then it will continue to be one) doesn't allow an organ in the door....well that just blows my mind. It really does, especially considering that instruments were allowed in God's worship before Matthew....and commands that there be instruments after Jesus' return, and nowhere in the middle does it prohibit them. We're just supposed to imply a vague, yet absolute, commandment or we're going to hell?

I already went over and over this with him and he is too thick skulled and stubborn to admit the truth. How he gets "sing" is a specific command that excludes musical instruments is total ignorance ... God's command to build the ark out of gopher wood IS a very specific command, "sing" IS NOT a specific command that excludes musical instruments ... I know a few sweet old ladies who loved the Lord and played the piano in church for decades, Kolmes wants me to believe they are burning in hell for their sins on the keyboards ....

Ephesians 5: 19, Colossians 3: 16.....God said to SING......just like God told Noah to use Gopher Wood.....SPECIFIC.......you can't scripturally use anything to make music other than SINGING.......

The mute can follow the command and make melody in his heart........if he plays a flute in worship, he is not following God's SPECIFIC command to sing. He has added to it.......

They sacrificed bulls and goats before Matthew, too......do you???

So using a French Horn changes God's command to sing?

Yes.....

. I know a few sweet old ladies who loved the Lord and played the piano in church for decades, Kolmes wants me to believe they are burning in hell for their sins on the keyboards ....

Matthew 7:21-23English Standard Version (ESV)

I Never Knew You

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

because your denomination (yes....it's a denomination, and so long as there are signs on the building separating it from other Churches, then it will continue to be one)

Men have called the Lord's Church many things over the milinea.....none were right.....yours included........:)

Ephesians 5: 19, Colossians 3: 16.....God said to SING......just like God told Noah to use Gopher Wood.....SPECIFIC.......you can't scripturally use anything to make music other than SINGING.......

The mute can follow the command and make melody in his heart........if he plays a flute in worship, he is not following God's SPECIFIC command to sing. He has added to it.......

They sacrificed bulls and goats before Matthew, too......do you???

I can sing and play an instrument at the same time and it violates nothing with the command to sing. I am still singing.

I can sing and play an instrument at the same time and it violates nothing with the command to sing. I am still singing.

You have ADDED to God's command........

Deuteronomy 4:2English Standard Version (ESV) 2 You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you.

Revelation 22:18English Standard Version (ESV)

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book,

Says YOU .... NOT GOD!!!!

Revelation 22:18English Standard Version (ESV)

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book,

You are adding your own prohibition .... this verse is speaking to you and your false doctrine .... you are nothing but a false prophet adding your own false interpretation of God's Word ...

Nobody is buying your snake oil ......