Why No Instrumental Music in the churches of Christ

RETIREDFAN1

Says YOU .... NOT GOD!!!!

New Testament Commands and Examples

Acts 16:25English Standard Version (ESV)

25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them, (example)

Romans 15:8-10English Standard Version (ESV)

8 For I tell you that Christ became a servant to the circumcised to show God's truthfulness, in order to confirm the promises given to the patriarchs, 9 and in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written,

“Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles,

and sing to your name.”

10 And again it is said,

“Rejoice, O Gentiles, with his people.” (example)

1 Corinthians 14:14-16English Standard Version (ESV)

14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful.15 What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also. 16 Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider[a] say “Amen” to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying? (example)

Ephesians 5:18-20English Standard Version (ESV)

18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart,20 giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, (command)

Colossians 3:16English Standard Version (ESV)

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. (command)

Hebrews 2:11-13English Standard Version (ESV)

11 For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one source.[a] That is why he is not ashamed to call them brothers,[b]12 saying,

“I will tell of your name to my brothers;

in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise.

13 And again,

“I will put my trust in him.”

And again,

“Behold, I and the children God has given me.” (example)

James 5:13English Standard Version (ESV)

13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. (command)

Revelation 22:18English Standard Version (ESV)

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book,

You are adding your own prohibition .... this verse is speaking to you and your false doctrine .... you are nothing but a false prophet adding your own false interpretation of God's Word ...

Nobody is buying your snake oil ......

God prohibited it, so I'm not "adding" anything.....YOU, however, are ADDING instruments to His clear command to sing, which is backed up with numerous examples.....YOU should take that warning seriously since YOU are the one doing the adding........and unfortunately for you and others who think they can be saved while standing disobedient to God, you will all find out, and it will be a sad day........weeping and gnashing of teeth we are told.......

New Testament Commands and Examples

Acts 16:25English Standard Version (ESV)

25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them, (example)

Romans 15:8-10English Standard Version (ESV)

8 For I tell you that Christ became a servant to the circumcised to show God's truthfulness, in order to confirm the promises given to the patriarchs, 9 and in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written,

“Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles,

and sing to your name.”

10 And again it is said,

“Rejoice, O Gentiles, with his people.” (example)

1 Corinthians 14:14-16English Standard Version (ESV)

14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful.15 What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also. 16 Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider[a] say “Amen” to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying? (example)

Ephesians 5:18-20English Standard Version (ESV)

18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart,20 giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, (command)

Colossians 3:16English Standard Version (ESV)

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. (command)

Hebrews 2:11-13English Standard Version (ESV)

11 For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one source.[a] That is why he is not ashamed to call them brothers,[b]12 saying,

“I will tell of your name to my brothers;

in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise.

13 And again,

“I will put my trust in him.”

And again,

“Behold, I and the children God has given me.” (example)

James 5:13English Standard Version (ESV)

13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. (command)

Great scripture ... nothing anywhere in any of them that prohibits musical instruments ...

God prohibited it, so I'm not "adding" anything.....YOU, however, are ADDING instruments to His clear command to sing, which is backed up with numerous examples.....YOU should take that warning seriously since YOU are the one doing the adding........and unfortunately for you and others who think they can be saved while standing disobedient to God, you will all find out, and it will be a sad day........weeping and gnashing of teeth we are told.......

Show me a scripture verse where God said "do not use musical instruments when you sing" .... you cant, because He didn't ...

You have lost this argument ....

• Like 1

Show me a scripture verse where God said "do not use musical instruments when you sing" .... you cant, because He didn't ...

You have lost this argument ....

God doesn't have to list what all we can't do when He gives a SPECIFIC command.....see my post on this subject above, because it's obvious you didn't read it........

God doesn't have to list what all we can't do when He gives a SPECIFIC command.....see my post on this subject above, because it's obvious you didn't read it........

Right, he's got you and the COC to make the list of things he didn't say ... :P

Right, he's got you and the COC to make the list of things he didn't say ... :P

:P

When God told Noah to use Gopher Wood, He didn't have to tell him that he couldn't use cedar or pine or oak.......God's SPECIFIC command prohibited the use of any wood other than Gopher Wood.....When God told Naaman to dip in the Jordan, He didn't have to tell him that no other river on Earth was acceptable......His SPECIFIC command prohibited Naaman from dipping in any other river if he wanted to be healed......God doesn't have to tell us that we can't use instruments......His SPECIFIC command to sing prohibits them.......

:P

When God told Noah to use Gopher Wood, He didn't have to tell him that he couldn't use cedar or pine or oak.......God's SPECIFIC command prohibited the use of any wood other than Gopher Wood.....When God told Naaman to dip in the Jordan, He didn't have to tell him that no other river on Earth was acceptable......His SPECIFIC command prohibited Naaman from dipping in any other river if he wanted to be healed......God doesn't have to tell us that we can't use instruments......His SPECIFIC command to sing prohibits them.......

Your gopher wood comparison just doesn't fly or make sense .... yes God told Noah to build the ark out of gopher wood ... cut and dried, plain and simple, very specific ... MAKE IT OUT OF GOPHER WOOD

Same with the God telling Naaman to dip in the Jordan, very specific .... THE JORDAN RIVER ....

Those two examples are SPECIFIC commands ...

This is where your SNAKE OIL kicks in ....

God said "sing", he didn't exclude or prohibit musical instruments ... he simply said "sing" .... THAT DOES NOT PROHIBIT MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS ... nothing in scripture even hints of it .... it's a total concoction by YOU and the COC and it isn't biblical .... The command "sing" in no way, shape, or form means anything other than "sing" .....

Your gopher wood comparison just doesn't fly or make sense .... yes God told Noah to build the ark out of gopher wood ... cut and dried, plain and simple, very specific ... MAKE IT OUT OF GOPHER WOOD

Same with the God telling Naaman to dip in the Jordan, very specific .... THE JORDAN RIVER ....

Those two examples are SPECIFIC commands ...

This is where your SNAKE OIL kicks in ....

God said "sing", he didn't exclude or prohibit musical instruments ... he simply said "sing" .... THAT DOES NOT PROHIBIT MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS ... nothing in scripture even hints of it .... it's a total concoction by YOU and the COC and it isn't biblical .... The command "sing" in no way, shape, or form means anything other than "sing" .....

So let me see if I get your very flawed logic right.......God said to use gopher wood and dip 7 times in the Jordan and that DID prohibit all that was not mentioned.......but when God said sing, it did NOT prohibit other forms of music......that's the type of logic I'd hate to be in front of Him at judgment explaining.......ill follow the pattern and teach the pattern, thank you very much.......the only snake oil being peddled here is yours......

So let me see if I get your very flawed logic right.......God said to use gopher wood and dip 7 times in the Jordan and that DID prohibit all that was not mentioned.......but when God said sing, it did NOT prohibit other forms of music......that's the type of logic I'd hate to be in front of Him at judgment explaining.......ill follow the pattern and teach the pattern, thank you very much.......the only snake oil being peddled here is yours......

He specified gopher wood ... very specific ... don't use any other wood, no problem, Noah used gopher wood because that IS what God said ....

God said dip 7 times in the Jordan ... again, very specific ... dip in the Jordan , no problem because that's what God said ....

Now then we have that straight .... so it brings us to this ...

God said ... "sing" .... nothing more, no prohibitions, no list of things not to do while singing ... you still with me?

Then KOLMES and the COC said ... "no musical instruments in church" ... notice, God didn't say "no musical instruments in church" ..... That's key here .... let's break it down one more time ....

God said .... use gopher wood

God said .... dip 7 times in the Jordan

then ...

Kolmes and the COC said ... :no musical instruments in church" ....

He specified gopher wood ... very specific ... don't use any other wood, no problem, Noah used gopher wood because that IS what God said ....

God said dip 7 times in the Jordan ... again, very specific ... dip in the Jordan , no problem because that's what God said ....

Now then we have that straight .... so it brings us to this ...

God said ... "sing" .... nothing more, no prohibitions, no list of things not to do while singing ... you still with me?

]

Anyone who can read can see the flaw in your logic......you are getting silly now......sing is JUST AS SPECIFIC as the other two.....go back and read your last post and see how absurd it sounds.......

Anyone who can read can see the flaw in your logic......you are getting silly now......sing is JUST AS SPECIFIC as the other two.....go back and read your last post and see how absurd it sounds.......

You really are a special kind of stupid ...

Nobody is buying your false doctrine ...

You can't just ADD something to scripture that isn't there .....

In case you haven't noticed .... NOBODY believes your concocted prohibition, especially not God ....

You really are a special kind of stupid ...

Nobody is buying your false doctrine ...

You can't just ADD something to scripture that isn't there .....

In case you haven't noticed .... NOBODY believes your concocted prohibition, especially not God ....

God SAID it, so I'm 100% sure He believes it.......your emotional rant and derision of the messenger is also proof that you cannot deny the Truth in the message, so you must resort to attacking the messenger......many thousands of men much greater than you have tried and failed to pervert and silence Gods Word......you will be just as successful as they were.......

If someone claps their hands to a song in Church, is that punishable by eternal damnation? What if they just clap in appreciation of a great singer and it verges on being in rhythm? Is that too close to being percussion? Will they be excommunicated from the no-instrument Church?

If someone claps their hands to a song in Church, is that punishable by eternal damnation? What if they just clap in appreciation of a great singer and it verges on being in rhythm? Is that too close to being percussion? Will they be excommunicated from the no-instrument Church?

1 Corinthians 14:40English Standard Version (ESV)

40 But all things should be done decently and in order.

Catholics excommunicate.....not the Lords Church........:p

The mute can follow the command and make melody in his heart.......

Not according to this scripture.....it must be done with the lips.

"By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name"

Sorry, Mutie. No sing in Church (without instruments, of course) no go to the Gates. Too bad, so sad.

Not according to this scripture.....it must be done with the lips.

"By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name"[/size]

Sorry, Mutie. No sing in Church (without instruments, of course) no go to the Gates. Too bad, so sad.

The mute can make melody in his heart.........your strawman is burned........:p

Ephesians 5:19English Standard Version (ESV)

19 addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart,

1 Corinthians 14:40English Standard Version (ESV)

40 But all things should be done decently and in order.

So if they clap out of order they'll go to hell for that, too? Cheese and cracker, Colmsie. Y'all are some stone faced tyrants over there! lol

The mute can make melody in his heart.........your strawman is burned........ :P

Ephesians 5:19English Standard Version (ESV)

19 addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart,

Nope, nope, nope, nope. That other scripture says it must be done with lips. It's vague and subtle....but if it can trick you into violating that command then that's one more soul cast to hell that we can rejoice about. /sarcam

Nope, nope, nope, nope. That other scripture says it must be done with lips. It's vague and subtle....but if it can trick you into violating that command then that's one more soul cast to hell that we can rejoice about. /sarcam

That's why scripture must be rightly handled.......all scripture in the New Testament that deals with music must be looked at together to see commands, and the examples of how those commands are carried out........when that is done, the mute is ok.......when that is not done, you get instruments, clapping hands, and sinning mutes........:p

We take Gods Word seriously........ :)

...or God's Word with ever so slight tweaks to try to catch believers worshiping in ever so slight a way that they can be burned for eternity the way it was intended!!

...or God's Word with ever so slight tweaks to try to catch believers worshiping in ever so slight a way that they can be burned for eternity the way it was intended!!

See the previous post........we don't change a thing........l

Okay....that one just cracked me up. :D

:lol:

God SAID it, so I'm 100% sure He believes it.......your emotional rant and derision of the messenger is also proof that you cannot deny the Truth in the message, so you must resort to attacking the messenger......many thousands of men much greater than you have tried and failed to pervert and silence Gods Word......you will be just as successful as they were.......

You don't know the difference between God said and Kolmes said .... that's your problem ...

You can't handle the truth of the very scripture you post .... you are the one perverting God's Word and adding your prohibitions to it, not me .... God no more said no musical instruments in church than he said no sound systems, or no church picnics ...

Nobody is buying your convoluted interpretation and perversion of scripture ... not even God ...