Josh Barton resigns in Overton to take Principal's job in Bronte...

Smoaky

Message: Overton ISD's Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Josh Barton has resigned effective June 3, 2016 in order to take the principal's job in Bronte ISD. OISD will begin accepting applications and resumes immediately. Stephen DuBose, Superintendent Overton ISD

Can't say enough good things about Josh, just a great guy. I know he'll do an excellent job at Bronte.

That said... seems like Overton could just promote in-house. Seth Drennan's been Barton's right-hand man since day 1. Already has rapport with the kids and could maintain continuity in the system.

Admittedly, I'm not really up to speed on O-town stuff anymore (I live/work in Longview now), but that seems like a logical choice.

• Like 2

I was gonna ask if Seth or Halcumb could be a in house guy to take over?

Yeah, that was my snap assumption when I saw David's headline... but based on the statement from the superintendent, looks like they're opening it up to applicants. Of course, that may just be a formality.

Seth's a good coach and teacher. The kids and faculty all like him. I think it'd be a nice fit.

• Like 1

I'd say Rod Portley. He is the only coach that has stayed at Overton. All former and current students loves Portley. I just believe Overton needs stability and the last ten years it has been a revolving door of coaches.

I'd say Rod Portley. He is the only coach that has stayed at Overton. All former and current students loves Portley. I just believe Overton needs stability and the last ten years it has been a revolving door of coaches.

I certainly don't object to that, Portley is awesome. Everything you mentioned is dead-on. I just didn't know if he was interested in being the AD. In all the years he's been there I didn't know if he ever put in for it.

Yeah, that was my snap assumption when I saw David's headline... but based on the statement from the superintendent, looks like they're opening it up to applicants. Of course, that may just be a formality.

Seth's a good coach and teacher. The kids and faculty all like him. I think it'd be a nice fit.

And he's a great classroom teacher...

• Like 1

Heard today there have been over 44 resumes submitted...they have 8 starters on offense back and 7 on defense...have good JV players coming up...

1OIrf.gif

That seems like a lot for something that was made public just 3 days ago.

Any word on the applicants? I know Jeff Traylor has been in the area.

Since 2003

Timme

Stringer

Dubose

Talkington

Barton

I know it's one or two I'm missing. Maybe more lol. Overton needs more. I know a lot of the Alums like Portley. I don't think Arnold would be a good pick right now. Don't know the other coaches but I figure they will be gone after a couple seasons to when hired.

I know it's one or two I'm missing. Maybe more lol. Overton needs more. I know a lot of the Alums like Portley. I don't think Arnold would be a good pick right now. Don't know the other coaches but I figure they will be gone after a couple seasons to when hired.

Buddy Timme left in '03 to go into business. Jodie Stringer was here just one year (2004). Stephen DuBose coached from 2005-07 before going into administration. Ty Robinson coached 2008-09 before going to Yorktown, now he's in Woodville. Bo Talkington did a two-year stint (2010-11) before stepping down.
Josh Barton took over in 2012 and has been at Overton for four years. Granted it's not Chester Roy-level longevity, but considering our recent history it's about as good as it's been in awhile. I know it seems like a lot of coaches, but it's really not been that bad, especially compared to a lot of small schools. 1A-2A programs are always gonna have a lot of turnover at the top.
I really appreciate the stability Barton's brought during his tenure, and hope the board finds a guy who can build upon this foundation. Like ol' Ronster said, there's talent there for the taking. Overton needs someone who can take things to the next level.

Robinson! That's the one I couldn't remember. I could see his face, just couldn't put a name on it.

I like Stringer he definitely turned the program around when he came (Football, Track, and Basketball, etc.)

I appreciate what Barton has done. Made the playoffs and I guess you can't complain about that.

• Like 1