Josh Barton resigns in Overton to take Principal's job in Bronte...

Smoaky

He has been the HC at at least 6 different schools.

And pretty successful at the ones I'm aware of... Beckville? San Augustine?

Overton needs someone who can get immediate results with limited resources. If Hubbard's the man that can deliver, more power to him.

And pretty successful at the ones I'm aware of... Beckville? San Augustine? Overton needs someone who can get immediate results with limited resources. If Hubbard's the man that can deliver, more power to him.

He has had some success at most of the schools that he has been at. He did ok at Garrison. He was only at Frankston a year. He did ok at best at Grapeland. I think he was successful in Shepard. He had some good years at Beckville and San Augustine (I believe he went 10-1 his first season at SA).

Overton ISD Selects Athletic Director Overton ISD’s Board of Trustees unanimously voted to hire Richard Strickland as the next Athletic Director/Head Football coach for the district.

Strickland is currently the Defensive Coordinator at Henderson High School.

“We were impressed with Coach Strickland’s passion for winning and his commitment to relationships with athletes, coaches, parents and the community which is so important in small towns like Overton. He is a proven winner and has learned from many outstanding coaches . I believe our athletes will love him and I think the parents and community will appreciate his enthusiasm,” stated OISD superintendent Stephen DuBose.

Strickland was part of two football state championships…one in Carthage and one in Henderson, as well as a baseball championship at Carthage.

Coach Strickland will officially start on June 6th, but will be meeting with players, coaches, and the community soon.

“We had 78 applicants and the board did an outstanding job of working through the process and staying focused on bringing the best possible AD/HFC to the district. We are blessed to have such great servants on our board,” DuBose commented.

• Like 1

Strickland is currently the Defensive Coordinator at Henderson High School.

Defensive play has been an Achilles Heel in Overton for a number of years, since 2005 at least. There have been several pretty good offensive teams, but the defense has struggled more often than not. I wish Strickland all the best, and hope his defensive background and expertise can help the program take the next step.

I've kinda lost track with the Lions of late, but how has the HHS defense been in the last couple seasons? I'm not counting the years that the Fletcher twins were there. Give me those Fletcher boys and even I could at least make it to the playoffs.

Seems to be a good hire. Can't go wrong with a guy that has multiple state championship rings. Question now is, does he bring in his guys or keep the current staff?

Seems to be a good hire. Can't go wrong with a guy that has multiple state championship rings. Question now is, does he bring in his guys or keep the current staff?

It depends on who is leaving. He is kind of stuck this year with the guys on staff unless they decide on their own to go elsewhere. If this was 2 months ago maybe that would be a different story.

• Like 1