Lindale Coaching Changes

I think they are having class today. Probably some STARR testing this week. Getting ready for summer.

No STARR testing was last week at the high school, but I do think that AP testing is this week. I would bet they are doing some football.

No STARR testing was last week at the high school, but I do think that AP testing is this week. I would bet they are doing some football.

They are doing spring football this year. Rough having a coordinator leave during spring ball. Especially if the new guy plans on changing much.

I'm pretty sure the HC knows what defense he wants to run and will hire someone to run that defense under his supervision. From a coaching stand point, it's no big deal.

Yes, but calling defenses and putting a game plan together for every Friday night is a skill. This is not something that you learn over night and it takes a special person to do it well. Finding an experienced DC who has called defenses on Friday nights is not an easy task this late in the school year.

• Like 1

Yes, but calling defenses and putting a game plan together for every Friday night is a skill. This is not something that you learn over night and it takes a special person to do it well. Finding an experienced DC who has called defenses on Friday nights is not an easy task this late in the school year.

True playaction...if that's true firstand goal, 4 in 5 years is crazy.

Again, from an AD head FB coach's stand point, this is not a big deal. I've seen many head coaches that call both O and D and are very successful.

Could be that the HC is the de facto DC. On just about all staffs the HC is either an Offensive or Defensive guy and whomever has the Coordinator Title is merely a figurehead. No idea if this is the case in Lindale just being speculative.

This is a BIG hit for Lindale. They played some major defense last year, and it won them several games. This DC showed major improvements from the previous couple years of Lindale football. Does anyone know where he is going? I think Coach Meador the HC is an offensive guy, so it will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Head Coach was OC before he took over. No defensive experience that I've ever heard of, but could be wrong.

Not sure where the current DC is going, haven't heard yet. I know he was at a private school before Lindale.

We had a strong senior class that carried our defense last year, no doubt. Several seniors who had been 3 year starters. Lots of holes to fill this year.

Again, from an AD head FB coach's stand point, this is not a big deal. I've seen many head coaches that call both O and D and are very successful.

I'm sorry, but there is no way that a head coach at at 5A school is going to call BOTH the offense and the defense. One or the other, yes, believable. Both? No way. Not unless he's neglecting a lot of his head coaching responsibilities too.

Well, I guess I'm sorry. I thought we are talking about Lindale, AKA small school football. Thats what the the post is about, as to what I was referring to.

Lindale is not small school football, they are 5A and even though some may treat them like a small school, they are in the second largest classification in the state.

Any head coach that doesn't know the offensive and defensive game plan as good as his coordinators is neglecting his duty. Any head coach that isn't extremely involved in both game plans is neglecting his duty. After 5 or 6 years if you haven't taken the time to become extremely knowledgeable in all three phases of the game you are lazy. Doesn't make any sense, how can you be good enough to coordinate if you are not an expert on the strengths and weaknesses in the opposing schemes and techniques. Therefore if you are an OC you should be able to coach and draw up a defensive game plan in a variety of schemes and visa versa for a dc. I was taught that by one of the best in the business at the 5a level, and yes, it produced two state championships. That being said, I am sure Lindale has a great head coach and if needed he can coordinate a defense or has an assistant that put the time in and is ready to do the job.

Well, I guess I'm sorry. I thought we are talking about Lindale, AKA small school football. Thats what the the post is about, as to what I was referring to.

Yes...not sure what Lindale you are referring to but there is no way 5A is considered small school...I think everyone else here is on the same page as to which Lindale we are talking about. The same ones who have played the likes of John Tyler and Lufkin for a couple years or more now? Guess since those schools are 6A now, they won't be considered small schools anymore.

Any head coach that doesn't know the offensive and defensive game plan as good as his coordinators is neglecting his duty. Any head coach that isn't extremely involved in both game plans is neglecting his duty. After 5 or 6 years if you haven't taken the time to become extremely knowledgeable in all three phases of the game you are lazy. Doesn't make any sense, how can you be good enough to coordinate if you are not an expert on the strengths and weaknesses in the opposing schemes and techniques. Therefore if you are an OC you should be able to coach and draw up a defensive game plan in a variety of schemes and visa versa for a dc. I was taught that by one of the best in the business at the 5a level, and yes, it produced two state championships. That being said, I am sure Lindale has a great head coach and if needed he can coordinate a defense or has an assistant that put the time in and is ready to do the job.

You are correct on every level, everything you say is true. But, putting together a game plan and calling a defense are two TOTALLY different things. If you have never called defenses in a game then there is a learning curve. Being able to digest information, down and distance, convert offensive tendencies into the right call, instincts on when to bring pressure, when to play coverage, these are all things that only come with experience. A good defensive coordinator is as instinctual as intelligent.

• Like 1

Bingo! Im on the wrong page, for some reason I believed this tread was about Linden Kildare. My apologies.

No problem. All this being said, I think historically Lindale rises and falls with the number of talented and older kids they have. (I understand this is obvious for every program). From talking to others who watched many games throughout this district over the recent history, they had a great run of athletes from approximately 07-08 years through '11 or so. They drastically dropped off until this last year where they had a large senior class that was much more talented from past years on both sides of the ball. Everyone said their QB is the HC's son and should be good for their offense but their O-line and defense will be left with many holes to fill from talented seniors who were tested in previous years. I do think their district will be weaker again like it was last year, which could help their chances.