Texas High vs Whitehouse Umpire Issue

WiseGuy

Curious to see others thoughts on this.

In this video, JT Morgan from Texas high is rounding the bases after hitting a homerun. You can see the 1st base umpire run to home plate and kick dirt all over home plate. I've never seen this and I've been around a lot of baseball. What other intention could he have had other than maybe hoping the kid would miss home plate so whitehouse could appeal and he could call the runner out? Texas high fans are also putting a lot of blame on this umpire as he was behind the plate for the deciding game 3. I'm not affiliated with either school, and I'm not interested in debating what he may have done in game 3.... But this video shows something fishy going on if ya ask me.

The only reason I can think of for an umpire to do that is so that the baserunner leaves a footprint on the plate to prove he touched it. But I've definitely never seen it done and it seems like a really weird thing to do.

Per Texas high fans....this guy was behind the plate game 3 which Texas high had a 8-2 lead in the final inning. Texas high's closer, who only walked 2 batters all year...continued to groove pitches down the middle because of the umpires strike zone and he would not even call those strikes. Ultimately whitehouse scored 7 runs in that inning without Texas high committing a single error. 4 walks in that inning from the tiger's closer.

I wasn't there, so can't speak personally for the strike zone which can be debatable with any umpire in any game, but with this same umpire doing this in game 2....just kind of seems like a funny situation. Once again, I have no affiliation to Texas high, just a baseball guy interested in the situation.

Probably the same ump that called the Whitehouse-SS Playoff Series in 2012 or 2013 and was very questionable in that series. I later learned that he was either a groomsman or best man in the coach for Whitehouse's wedding. My understanding was that he could not call anymore Whitehouse games in District or the Playoffs. He did however call behind the plate in a non-district matchup between Whitehouse and Mount Pleasant in 2014 (Mahomes vs Kopech) and cost MP in that game as well.

Probably the same ump that called the Whitehouse-SS Playoff Series in 2012 or 2013 and was very questionable in that series. I later learned that he was either a groomsman or best man in the coach for Whitehouse's wedding. My understanding was that he could not call anymore Whitehouse games in District or the Playoffs. He did however call behind the plate in a non-district matchup between Whitehouse and Mount Pleasant in 2014 (Mahomes vs Kopech) and cost MP in that game as well.

I heard that the T-High coach once dated the umps sister and he broke her heart. He did it to get revenge!

(Not really, I just think that this is ridiculous!)

Per Texas high fans....this guy was behind the plate game 3 which Texas high had a 8-2 lead in the final inning. Texas high's closer, who only walked 2 batters all year...continued to groove pitches down the middle because of the umpires strike zone and he would not even call those strikes. Ultimately whitehouse scored 7 runs in that inning without Texas high committing a single error. 4 walks in that inning from the tiger's closer.

I wasn't there, so can't speak personally for the strike zone which can be debatable with any umpire in any game, but with this same umpire doing this in game 2....just kind of seems like a funny situation. Once again, I have no affiliation to Texas high, just a baseball guy interested in the situation.

Not sure what the UIL could do, but it does sound questionable.

Not the same guy. Not even sure where these umpires were from. It was not people from the Tyler Chapter. Must have gone to the UIL or used a neutral umpire crew.

The crew was reportedly from the Collin County Chapter. The chapter, according to a Texarkana radio news report this morning, stated that umpires joke with each other, so the home plate umpire has to sweep the plate. As a former TASO official, the playoffs are no the time or place to joke around. Looking at the film it did not appear he was joking around. Officials intent is always going to be questioned. As an official you don't need to give them ammunition.

This has been brought to TASO's attention and they have made a statement that the series is being investigated.

http://www.taso.org/news/baseball/taso-statement-regarding-the-texas-high-vs-whitehouse-baseball

As a Texas High fan, I do not think Whitehouse was involved and wish them the best going forward.

I was at the 3rd game just to watch as we were beat by Pleasant Grove 3-2 Friday . I have no clue about the dirt kicking incident and but the umps strike zone was alittle different but most are and he was consistent on giving same pitches to both teams. I thought coach should have left the starter in especially since he had them off balance all game and was still getting ground outs and popups but im sure he had his reasons to change. The reliever who came in only threw one strike in warmups and was off the entire inning . He consistently threw balls low and away after hitting the first or second batter . The pitcher just never consistently found the strike zone and when he did they put them in play. The ump really did not have alot of close calls because he was so far off. Thats just my veiw as I was directly behind home plate . It was a great game to watch as both teams had lots of good ballplayer and played their tails off.

• Like 1

As stated above, this is a prank that umpires will do to the plate guy so that he has to bend over and brush the plate. Take off the foil hats...there is no conspiracy here Francis! He probably shouldn't do it in a UIL Playoff game, but to call him dirty is wrong!

I was at the 3rd game just to watch as we were beat by Pleasant Grove 3-2 Friday . I have no clue about the dirt kicking incident and but the umps strike zone was alittle different but most are and he was consistent on giving same pitches to both teams. I thought coach should have left the starter in especially since he had them off balance all game and was still getting ground outs and popups but im sure he had his reasons to change. The reliever who came in only threw one strike in warmups and was off the entire inning . He consistently threw balls low and away after hitting the first or second batter . The pitcher just never consistently found the strike zone and when he did they put them in play. The ump really did not have alot of close calls because he was so far off. Thats just my veiw as I was directly behind home plate . It was a great game to watch as both teams had lots of good ballplayer and played their tails off.

Good to hear from an observer that was there. Throwing dirt on home plate in the 2nd game made the 3rd game, 7th inning suspect since the same umpire supposedly was behind the plate in the 3rd game.

Sounds like the head coach should have made a pitching change much earlier. if you have a 7 run lead in the last inning how many hit batters and walks does it take for you to pull the plug on the closer?

The only reason I can think of for an umpire to do that is so that the baserunner leaves a footprint on the plate to prove he touched it. But I've definitely never seen it done and it seems like a really weird thing to do.

Exactly my thought as well.

As stated above, this is a prank that umpires will do to the plate guy so that he has to bend over and brush the plate. Take off the foil hats...there is no conspiracy here Francis! He probably shouldn't do it in a UIL Playoff game, but to call him dirty is wrong!

All good, even during a playoff game. Just prob. not during the play. Do it after the runner crosses the plate other wise you look like.......well, this guy.

if it was a joke this is something that should be done during a summer league game or a scrimmage not a playoff game, If this would have happened during my game I would have requested that guy to be removed from the series. There is a time and place for jokes but not in game 2 of a playoff series

Not sure what the UIL could do, but it does sound questionable.

The UIL won't do anything to him that they aren't doing to Lufkin right now. If I was Marshall, I would have been going crazy playing a 6A team in the 5A playoffs.

But back to topic...the umpire in question will probably not be allowed to call any more this season, be reprimanded, and have his name on T-High's scratch list