Texas High vs Whitehouse Umpire Issue

WiseGuy

In my 28 years of coaching (20) in baseball I have never seen an act by an umpire even close to this. Not even going to watch summer,select,or tournament ball. Joke on the homeplate umpire or not this is in a playoff game. Bordertown is right, umpires hear enough from outside the fence as it is, why give them any more ammo. I think it was just a really bad judgement call (pardon the pun) on his part.

Knee Jerk reaction to TH player's poor display of sportsmanship after blowing a 6 run lead going into bottom 7th. If TH takes care of business and wins this video never surfaces. But because of this continued whining by the Thigh faithful fans on social media, expect some - feedback from UIL

Knee Jerk reaction to TH player's poor display of sportsmanship after blowing a 6 run lead going into bottom 7th. If TH takes care of business and wins this video never surfaces. But because of this continued whining by the Thigh faithful fans on social media, expect some - feedback from UIL

Nice deflection there (actually, it wasn't... I take that back). Regardless of what Texas High did later in the series, this video looks bad and not like some "harmless prank". If you're pranking an umpire, you do it after the kid's touched home, not as he's rounding the bases and then stare to see if he does indeed touch home.

From what I have heard, Texas high has taken it to the UIL.

They should, and he should never umpire a high school baseball game again. He should go back to the little leagues, and even that behavior wouldn't be tolerated there.

I'm not sure the school has done anything. I haven't heard they are protesting the series. I suspect TASO has been in contact with coaches at both schools.

I think the banner and pressure is being exerted by the local media asking questions to the chapter and TASO. Then you have the impact of social media and sites like Smoaky weighing in on the video.

As a retired official, I will point out this was a first round playoff game. In the first round probably 50% of the schools are still playing. The crew size for the playoffs are increased from two to four. If you do the math it appears most umpires get a first round game. There are good and bad officials in every sports. I personally do not think many "take sides" in contests. Most will miss calls or be involved in a controversial call - that's life. In order to improve the quality of officials you need numbers (pick a sport). The more competition for games will only improve the quality and professionalism. What has gotten this official in the spotlight was his lack of professionalism. I know some are questioning his integrity, but I am not. But it was his lack of professionalism that has his integrity in question.

I haven't seen anybody from Texas High claiming we were robbed. And the video has nothing to do with blowing that type of lead.

I'm sure Texas High has sent that video for review.....but there hasn't been any "protest" about losing the game.

The video speaks for itself and actions like that should be shown to the appropriate officials. Not sure where Mudgrip is coming up the the "continual whining from T High fans"

There are no protest in Texas High School Baseball per the UIL. The results are the results no matter how poor the umpires call the game. This year I have seen the worst umpires in my 15 year career of coaching. Some of these come out with a power trip and want the game to be all about them. If a coach questions a bad call the confine him to the dugout, because the umpires lack of knowledge.

If so that is terrible. Are we really gonna get into how much truth we can read on facebook though ??

It is true, when the video posted it had a named attached to it, I clicked on the link and the Facebook page is that of a former Tex high player. I never said truth is on Facebook.

Official Press Release from TASO

The Texas Association of Sports Officials has been aggressively exploring the facts surrounding the incident that occurred in the Texas High vs. Whitehouse game on Saturday, May 7, 2016.

The action in question occurred on a solo home run by a Texas High player hit over the left field fence. Unless it is obvious the ball will not be in play, proper officiating mechanics in this situation would be for the 3rd base umpire to sprint to left field to make a ruling on the home run, if necessary. The plate umpire would then move to cover 3rd base, and after watching the batter-runner touch first base, the first base umpire would move to home plate.

Although not a TASO approved mechanic, it is not an uncommon practice with some officiating crews for the first base umpire to kick a small amount of dirt on home plate as a signal to the plate umpire that the first base umpire had home plate "covered". The umpire working the game on May 7th unquestionably took this practice to an extreme level that is unacceptable. His reason for raking dirt on home plate was to make the plate umpire work harder in sweeping off the plate, the action was intended as a good-natured jab at the home plate umpire. While this act occurred during a dead ball situation and had absolutely no effect on the outcome of the game, it was inappropriate and did not follow approved mechanics.

TASO has determined that none of the umpires in the crew have any ties to either school or city and have never previously umpired a game for either school. The crew was from a neutral chapter that has not served either school this year during the regular season and up to this series. As required by the UIL, both coaches agreed to the crew.

Absent new information being brought forward for TASO review, we consider this matter closed.

• Like 1

If all it was was the Ump kicking a little extra dirt on the plate to jack with the Home Plate guy a WHOLE lot of people need to relax.

I have no affiliation with Texas High, but I did umpire baseball games for the LBBA (Longview Baseball Association) during my High School years. That would not have been tolerated by our commissioner. That behavior would not have been tolerated back then, and it shouldn't be now. Umpires should not be involved with the game on the field to cause a distraction, and should only rule on the play on the field. I realize that my experience does not make me a professional, but when I umpired games I wanted to be professional in all aspects of my behavior.

• Like 3

If all it was was the Ump kicking a little extra dirt on the plate to jack with the Home Plate guy a WHOLE lot of people need to relax.

I nominate this post for the Annual Smoaky.com Post Of The Year Award!