Copa America Centenario

flukeshot

Quarterfinals

-----------------

US vs Ecuador (Thu)

Peru vs Colombia (Fri)

Argentina vs Venezuela (Sat)

Mexico vs Chile (Sat)

If the US wins then they'll have the advantage of two extra days of rest over their semifinal opponent (the winner of Arg - Ven). Kind of weird, but I'm not complaining. We'll need every little break we can get.

Mexico - Chile should be fantastic.

US knocks off Ecuador 2-1. Thought we were clearly the better for 60 minutes or so, then ran completely out of gas while Ecuador seemed to get a second wind. Going down to 10 v 10 was probably better for them than us. Speaking of, so stupid of Jermaine Jones to get sent off just as we're about to have a man advantage. He's been great, but just completely pointless thing to do.

No Jones, Wood or Bedoya for the semi. Wood will really be a killer loss. Jones too, although I'm questioning what he would even have left in the tank, was already looking to be slowing down to me even before the red card. Bradley is scary, he made two or three horrible passes that could've easily led to an Ecuador goal.

Making it this far makes this tournament a success.

US knocks off Ecuador 2-1. Thought we were clearly the better for 60 minutes or so, then ran completely out of gas while Ecuador seemed to get a second wind. Going down to 10 v 10 was probably better for them than us. Speaking of, so stupid of Jermaine Jones to get sent off just as we're about to have a man advantage. He's been great, but just completely pointless thing to do.

No Jones, Wood or Bedoya for the semi. Wood will really be a killer loss. Jones too, although I'm questioning what he would even have left in the tank, was already looking to be slowing down to me even before the red card. Bradley is scary, he made two or three horrible passes that could've easily led to an Ecuador goal.

Making it this far makes this tournament a success.

Making it this far means more Klinsmann...Yay for success!

I dont mind Klinsmann that much. If you look across the world, I seriously doubt we are a top 16 country as far as soccer talent goes, but we continue to make it that far in big tournaments... If we find a way to beat Messi and Argentina it will be as good or better than our World Cup success... Then you think about our dominance over Mexico under his reign.

Yeah, that is for me the downside, but I won't turn down a good tournament run. Just two years left on his contract, and he won't get a third World Cup cycle, so it's almost over.

Looks like it'll be Argentina as they lead 2-0 at the half. Funny thing is that Venezuela has stood toe to toe with them, they just haven't finished off their chances, and they gave away a cheap goal on a really hideous back pass. Missed a penalty too when the taker got cute and tried a Panenka (soft lob right down the middle) but ended up with egg on his face when the keeper didn't move and had an easy catch. Could've been a couple other penalties called too both ways. Great game.

Chile up 2-0 over Mexico at the half. They look fantastic. Both teams expending a lot of energy, but man Chile is really flying all over the place. Not surprised they're leading, am surprised they've so completely stifled the Mexicans. I really can't think of one good chance they've created.

Well, they are the defending Concacaf champs, unfortunately, since we couldn't be bothered to show up at the last Gold Cup, and they still have way more talent than anyone else in our region. Chile would've beaten most teams with that effort, but a lot of Mexican players embarrassed themselves by giving up, hell maybe at the half, definitely after Chile scored their third. Did not bother to defend at all in the second half.

Didn't think Mexico would win, but I def didn't see that happening. Not sure why all games were on SF1 or Sf2, but yesterdsys weren't.

They were on FX. Fox had other stuff they wanted to show on their main channels. Why would they prioritize an important one-off event like this over the 21-46 Atlanta Braves and golf? Can't wait until they're shoving World Cup games onto FX and the fishing channel so they can show high school girls volleyball on FS1 & 2.

Argentina 4, US 0. I stopped watching when Messi scored his wonderful free kick in the first half, so nothing to say except we were unsurprisingly very badly outclassed. Final stats at espn.com show us with 32% possession and 1 shot.

Argentina is very very good. It would take our best game, and a very off Argentinian night to win this one. I watched up until the same time just to watch Argentina and Messi play.

I believe we can be one of the top 15 programs in the world, it will just take time. Soccer is growing, but it will take more growth to get there.

Being reported on other sites that espn was mistaken and we actually finished with no shots. Not shots on target, mind you, no shots period.

So who's ready for the third place game? Ha ha! I'm sure we'll be totally motivated for that and won't tank even a little. Yeah.

Chile defeated Colombia 2-0 to set up a couple of rematches from the group stage ... US vs Colombia in the third place game, and a fantastic Argentina - Chile final. Also a rematch of last year's Copa final won by Chile on penalties.

Yeah me too, unfortunately I think maybe the American mentality of championship or nothing gets in the way. Michael Bradley said after the Argentina whipping that a third place game was a waste of time. That's your captain. Maybe it was the emotion of the moment, but I'm remembering the US getting outshot by Panama 25 to 5 in last year's Gold Cup third place game. I would like to think they'd have some pride in themselves and the shirt, but ...

Yeah me too, unfortunately I think maybe the American mentality of championship or nothing gets in the way. Michael Bradley said after the Argentina whipping that a third place game was a waste of time. That's your captain. Maybe it was the emotion of the moment, but I'm remembering the US getting outshot by Panama 25 to 5 in last year's Gold Cup third place game. I would like to think they'd have some pride in themselves and the shirt, but ...

And why America can never get over that hump. The mentality of some of the players is ridiculous. And honestly, people bash the coach, but I doubt he would have these issues if he were coaching Germany, Italy, etc.... one of those countries that keeps their head down and just plays their game.

US loses 1-0 to Colombia to finish fourth. I missed the last 25 minutes, but I thought we played pretty well from what I did see. Got some of the bitter taste from the Argentina game out of my mouth anyway.

Wish Nagbe had started the game and wish he had featured more in this tournament, that's my regret. Would like to see Beckerman and Wondo never get called up again. Also Orozco, got to find better options. That's another reason I don't think a manager should get this long a tenure, you get favorites established and others find it difficult to break in. Some of these oldies have to start to give way though, and that includes Jones and Dempsey as good as they still are. You can't count on those guys being 90 minute contributors in two years.