Art Briles Fired

Stoney

18 minutes ago, Matthias said:

I concur with both of y'all. I am in no way a Baylor supporter. I am zero tolerance when it comes to violence towards women. Further, I have no sympathy for Briles or any coach (or any leader) who is negligent in his leadership. 

At the same time, according to the rule of law and due process, Briles has no direct culpability for the allegations. Obviously he's ultimately responsible for what occurs at his program, but the university and law enforcement have cleared him of wrongdoing. 

It's a complicated issue.

As much as I am aghast at how Social Justice Warriors™ have weaponized their outrage via social media to cower organization to their arbitrary whims, as a Sooner alum/donor, I can also say that I would vehemently oppose him being hired at OU even as a janitor. Thus my own hypocrisy.

I would be furious if OU hired him. I am not going to condemn another school for doing so, though. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Baron said:

Whatever happened to the Texas Ranger investigation? I can only find articles dated 3-1-17 about a preliminary investigation and nothing else.

"The Texas Rangers announced in March that they’d look into Baylor’s handling of sexual assault by students. The Texas Rangers are the state’s top criminal investigative unit, charged with looking into major crimes. Livingstone said she does not “have any sense of the timeframe on that one.""

From December

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Just ran across this few minutes ago….. 

"McCaw said former Baylor Police Chief Jim Doak had discouraged reporting of sexual assaults and ignored rape reports." This aligns with what David Garland told the TX Sen Higher Ed Cmte about Doak. https://t.co/EKhxMCdTQm

WOW! Dunnam & Dunnam are gonna get wealthy off of Baylor before this is over.

By the way they are some of the attorneys in the suit against Carthage ISD. They are Title IX geniuses!

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Hlion said:

Waco high it is supposedly . 

Haven't had interviews yet according to Smoak:  Waco I.S.D. AD Johnny Tusa telling me interviews will begin on Friday and run through Monday and most likely a quick turnaround. Five overall candidates including one inside candidate as I mentioned before is OC Ryan Graves. #txhsfb https://t.co/gVIMefeOAo

14 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Haven't had interviews yet according to Smoak:  Waco I.S.D. AD Johnny Tusa telling me interviews will begin on Friday and run through Monday and most likely a quick turnaround. Five overall candidates including one inside candidate as I mentioned before is OC Ryan Graves. #txhsfb https://t.co/gVIMefeOAo

I don't know how that would go over.

1 hour ago, Hlion said:

Briles should went to that new football league that's coming up

Maybe you don't understand how society works at all...

Briles coaching there= negative press... you only want positive when starting something new...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlion said:

Pro leagues probably don't care as much as a university. Society is #### I agree but society always loves a comeback story/2nd chances. Someone definitely will take a shot eventually

He could heal the sick and make the blind see and invent the cure for AIDS and the public and media will never let that go despite not having any real proof that he knew it was going on right under his nose... in the meantime, others who did the coverup under his tutelage now work at other schools.

From Jessica Morrey: 

Regarding the Waco High/Art Briles RUMOR - I just spoke with AD Johnny Tusa who confirmed to me that Art Briles was never a candidate for the head coaching job. He never actually applied. They just had an informal conversation. Waco High will wrap up interviews tomorrow #txhsfb

47 minutes ago, Hlion said:

Mountain west where they belong but seriously the Big 12 can't afford to be changed

Oh yeah, kicking out a small stadium, private school from the state that half of your conference is in would such a terrible thing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I wish the conference would kick out Baylor. 

10 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Oh yeah, kicking out a small stadium, private school from the state that half of your conference is in would such a terrible thing.

Not trolling or being condescending, sincerely curious: what does Baylor bring to the Big XII?

I know their enrollment is low due to being a smaller private college, so is it a money thing? Because I'm not sure I see the TV revenue angle or program prestige. Teaff had one or two salty squads. Of course, Briles had them breaking out, but then...  I know they had a pretty good hoops team a couple years ago. Don't know squat about their other sports or women's athletics. Are they supposed to be, like, Iowa State for the southern division or something? I probably should know more about this but, to be honest, I really don't give a #### about the conference.

Somebody holler at Waggle. I reckon he could bring me up to speed. I miss that dude. 

• Like 1

Here is a snippet from Big 12 Expansion: Oral History of Big 8-SWC Merger

Sibley: We had a brief conversation, and it ended with Junell saying, "Cut loose the dogs of war." At the time, Bob Bullock was the lieutenant governor, and he was a Baylor Law graduate. The speaker of the house was from Texas Tech, and [Junell] was from Texas Tech. And then the chairman of the Senate Finance Committee was a Texas Tech person, John Montford. And then there I was, representing Waco and a Baylor graduate. 

Junell and Sibley mobilized on Thursday or Friday, Sibley says, and by Sunday, a group was assembled in Bullock's office to strike a deal. The lieutenant governor, along with Sibley, Montford, Cunningham and Clayton (the former speaker of the Texas House of Representatives and an A&M graduate) agreed: in addition to Texas and Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Baylor would make the cut.

Sibley: The interesting part of this is that if this had happened two years earlier, the lieutenant governor would have been a University of Houston person and the speaker of the house would have been a TCU person. It really was an interesting confluence of events.

Castiglione: It was our impression that the four institutions from the Southwest Conference would be Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Houston.

Cunningham: A&M and Texas were easy, and Texas Tech had the third-best attendance. Then we came down to the fourth school, and that was Baylor versus TCU. When you really looked at the hard data, Baylor was the better choice. They had better attendance and better records. When I called the Baylor president, he was not in, and I spoke with his wife. His wife told me that he was at a prayer meeting, and I said, "I now believe in prayer more than ever."

Bob Bockrath, Texas Tech athletic director from 1993–96: There wasn't any question that to be one of those left out would have been a disaster.

Wefald: My heart really did go out to those other four, [Houston, TCU, SMU and Rice]. They're like us. They're smaller schools that didn't have the football tradition. That could have been us.

Cunningham: The (chancellor) of TCU, Bill Tucker, he's a class act, and he said, "Bill, I understand. However, we are going to compete at a level that will make you all want to have us at some time in the future." I said all the right things that you would say in a polite conversation, but I have to say I didn't believe it that they would perform at that level.
  • Thanks 1

Basically it sounds like the Lieutenant Governor played a roll in getting Baylor in over TCU and UH.

It isn't in the part I posted, but they really liked SMU, but the death penalty did too much damage and the powers that be were unsure how long it would take the Mustangs to rebuild...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...