David Collins

Dawgman

The crazy part is that it was clear to everyone that he was doing a was job with what he inherited. So why did he leave for a job that most people say isn't a better situation? There's something deeper here.

Pearce is not a good spot, but money talks...not to mention being in the Metroplex as well that will also get him more looks to move up the ranks more.

RISD football is lacking, but I'd say he has more of a chance at Pearce to turn around things as opposed to being in Longview, where football is ruled by the Lobos.

Just my opinion though.

Pearce is not a good spot, but money talks...not to mention being in the Metroplex as well that will also get him more looks to move up the ranks more.

RISD football is lacking, but I'd say he has more of a chance at Pearce to turn around things as opposed to being in Longview, where football is ruled by the Lobos.

Just my opinion though.

Speaking of, i think that school is also hiring an athletic trainer... they may have cleaned house for a complete remake at Pearce.

Crazy stuff! As we all know coaching is inconsistent and depending upon how well a HC does will depend on how long a school board will keep a staff intact. That being said. Coach Collins was moving in the right direction with PT. IMO there is more to coaching than making money. Student athletes deserve more from their leaders, and Coach Collins leaving will leave a bad taste in the mouths of PT players. His actions of abandoning PT at this point in the summer is not a good example to the players at PT. Especially if many of his assistants are leaving with him.

There does not seem to be much loyalty among players and coaches anymore. I understand being at PT might have hurt his chances of getting a more desirable job elsewhere if things did not continue to improve, but abandoning his players the way he did is not teaching, coaching, and mentoring young men to be successful in life. I hope PT has a great season and makes the playoffs despite what has been going on.

Disclaimer: I am not a PT grad and I have never attended PT, but I hate what has happened to these kids.

Just my opinion though.

I agree. Money talks for sure. And I also agree he probably has a better chance to turn Pearce around than PT. Not that 7 on 7 amounts to a hill of beans, but I believe Pearce qualified for the state tournament.

I can't say that Collins is "abandoning" or not being "loyal" to the players at PT. Is it hard. Yes. Hurtful. Yes. But at the end of the day this is a man with a family to think about. He has to make the decisions that he thinks best suit his family/life/career.

• Like 1

dillonpanthers,

Good points and I know what it means to make a decision based on what is best for the family, I am sure we have all done that at some point in our lives. I just think it could have been handled better that is all. As I have stated in a previous post the PT job could pose a huge leadership challenge for the next coach even if it is an interim.

You are definitely right, it will be a challenge. Pearce has been open awhile (at least a month if not more before they made the hire.) So hopefully the PT administration was aware he was applying/interviewing, so they hopefully were thinking about their next move already .

But yes, it is hard to get kids to truly buy in if they have a new coach everyy few years. But that's not the administration's fault. I'm sure Collins and every HC before said "I'm here to put down roots, etc" I doubt any of them have ever said "I'm planning on leaving as quickly as possible " lol

• Like 1

There's going to be a drop in talent the next 2 years at PT. I believe the frosh were 1-8 and the JV did not win a game. Collins record was already 5-15. If it got any worse over the next couple years he would never be able to get out and would have a hard time going anywhere as a HC. PT will always have a hard time hanging on to quality assistant coaches because the salaries are low, so even if you have a great HC it will be tough for him to keep a good staff with any consistency as coaches will look for higher paying jobs. With that being said, I've heard there is quiet a bit of interest, including from a very big name assistant who doesn't live too far away. Word is they want to have the new guy in place by the end of the first week of July.

• Like 1

Interesting post DB123! Not sure who the big name assistant would be, but interesting to see what happens. I can think of a few coaches who are DCs and OCs in the area that would be good candidates, but not sure if they will leave for PT.

• Like 1

IMO if I was in a place to make the hire, I wouldn't hire him. I think he is a great coach but he will have little loyalty to the program, time and time again in the last few years he hasn't pulled the trigger on several head coaching jobs. Some he has been offered really good money but his heart is in his hometown. Nothing wrong with that, but for a program that's not the kind of guy you want to hire.