District 8-3A (D1)

That's crazy. They was supposed to be loaded. Goes to show u though. Things change quick

It is a scrimmage. White Oak worked on New Diana this week seeing as though that is their first game. Time will tell the story but things in the valley of the roughnecks are going to be just fine.

It is a scrimmage. White Oak worked on New Diana this week seeing as though that is their first game. Time will tell the story but things in the valley of the roughnecks are going to be just fine.

Yep, it's a scrimmage and like WO, EF did not prepare 1 play for WO, they have been preparing 100% for Redwater. WO and EF have scrimmaged for the past 4 years, same staffs( other than Iske was not HC the first year) and both know the other teams base schemes so they just play. Coach Iske was a little concerned at how EF manhandled them up front on both sides of the ball last night, but he will get that worked out. He is a good coach.

Hey

This is really a completely dist. WO will be a big favorite and should be based on what they return. I would love to see this grouping stay together fo several years. I see it developing into a good one a short ways down the road. Some of the teams have met in dist or in the playoffs while others have never met in modern times. I will promise you this dist over the long run will not be dominated by one team. If it stays together some great rivalries will be born. Remember this fellows, RW may be way down this year but mark my word they will ruin someones perfect season down the road. That is who they are

Sunday District 8-3AAA Thoughts:

Last Week: White Oak vs New Diana

Result: White Oak def. New Diana (47-7)

Thoughts: White Oak looked much better after the two rough scrimmages they played. QB Heath Hood turned things around, the offensive line played much better, and the defense looked better as a unit. Now, I do understand that New Diana isn't the greatest team in East Texas, but it gave the Roughnecks some confidence they can move forward with. Maybe this win will allow the Neck's to grow together as a team.

Week 2: T Bishop Gorman (Tyler)@ White Oak

Prediction: 35-14 (White Oak)

I believe White Oak will be tested by T. K. Gorman's WR core and backfield. T. K. Gorman fields a slightly better team with more speed and better athletes but, I think White Oak's defense plays well in this game and give the offense a ton of chances to put points on the board.

Last Week: Hughes Springs vs Daingerfield

Result: Hughes Springs def. Daingerfield (24-0)

Thoughts: Everyone saw good things in the Stang's, but not a opening game shut out against a very athletic Daingerfield squad. Hughes Springs offense, led by Alex Bruce, seems to have found some traction after their first two scrimmages when the offense was scaring some people to think it would be a long year, but they surprised many people. What stood out even more to me was the defense, even though Daingerfield had some fumble issues, Hughes Springs shutout them out and held them to 56 total yards. A huge season opening win in a big rivalry game.

Week 2: Hughes Springs @ Arp

Prediction: 31-28 (Hughes Springs)

I believe Hughes Springs is playing a better football team this week that will give them a bigger test. Arp, coming off a loss to Tatum (24-14), will be hungry for a win. They will have to stop the rushing phenom of Kayce Medlock and his fellow teammates in Arps' talented backfield. I see this one coming down to the end in a thriller, but I do believe Hughes Springs holds them off.

Last Week Waskom @ Jefferson

Result: Waskom def. Jefferson (26-24 2OT)

Thoughts: No one saw Jefferson being good coming off a 2-8 season that was plagued by injury, but they came out and gave Waskom a run for their money. In my opinion Jefferson should have won, but the game ended on a two-point conversion in the second overtime.The offense seems to be there for the Bulldogs against a tough Waskom defense, but they managed to hold the lead most of the game. The game entered overtime at 12-12, it was a defensive game for sure. Of course, Waskom did prevail but not by much. I believe Jefferson is on the rise and could be a force later in the year with the defense leading the way and steadily getting better.

Week 2: Jefferson @ Paul Pewitt

Prediction: 38-14 (Jefferson)

I believe Jefferson will dominate on the defensive side of the ball and control the game. Jefferson outsizes, has more athletes, and is quicker than Pewitt in numerous positions. I'm not saying that Jefferson just rolls over Pewitt, but if Jefferson is playing their best ball they will win with ease.

Last Week: Hooks @ New Boston

Result: New Boston def. Hooks (14-12)

Thoughts: New Boston seems to have the tools they need to get back to the way they were a few years ago. Size, speed, and depth are all on their side, but they have to put the puzzle pieces together. They won a hard fought battle with Hooks and the win was expected, but the margin of victory was closer than I was thinking. New Boston brings, I think, the biggest offensive/defensive line in the district which is helpful for the Lions but they must figure the offensive side of the ball out if they want to keep winning. The defense looked great in the season opener holding a great Hooks offense to 12 points.

Week 2: New Boston @ De Kalb

Prediction: 45-7 New Boston

I think this week New Boston will find it's offensive stride and wear the De Kalb defense out. De Kalb will have trouble with the New Boston size the entire game. The defense will do their job and the game will be over. New Boston will need the offense to score some but like I said the defense will hold their own.

Last Week: Paul Pewitt @ Sabine

Result: Paul Pewitt def. Sabine (31-25)

Thoughts: No one thought Sabine would be a contender this year after everything they lost last year, but they surprised some people when they gave Paul-Pewitt all they could handle late into the fourth quarter. The cardinals came out and proved they were not going down without a fight. Their rushing attack lead by River Bennet showed they were still hungry this year, but the Cardinals need to buff out the edges on the defensive side of the ball, particulary the pass defense. I believe Sabine can be good if the continue to improve and come together as a team and avoid costly turnovers.

Week 2: Sabine @ Frankston

Prediction: 27-20 (Frankston)

Frankston always puts a competetive team on the field. I believe Frankston will prevail because they run the spread offense and it always seems to give the Cardinals fits. I believe the cardinals can hang with Frankston if the Cardinal offense can control the ball and keep it out of the hands of Frankston and not turn the ball over. If they score 30 I believe they can win.

Last Week: Elysian Fields vs Redwater

Result Elysian Fields def. Redwater (25-13)

Thoughts: Redwater in the scrimmages seemed to have issues with there defense and offense, but they played very well against a tough Elysian Fields squad a run for their money until late. Redwater proved they can compete if they can find an offense. Keeping the offense on the field will be key for the Dragons because it keeps the defense off the field and keeps the other teams offense off. They will be able to compete and win if they do the key things after losing most of the running back stable from last year.

Week 2: Hooks @ Redwater

Prediction: 35-24 (Hooks)

I think Hooks will have the upper hand in this game, they field a stingy defense and a decent offense. Again, if Redwater can keep the Hornet offense off the field they have a good chance to win, but if they cant't Redwater will have trouble containing the speed of Hooks. Redwater will have to work hard to win this one, and I hope they do. It will be a huge confidence builder.

District 8-3AAA Prediction

1. White Oak

2. Jefferson

3. Hughes Springs

4. New Boston

5-6. Sabine/Redwater

• Like 1