WORST team in east tx history who you got?

3rdcoastent

Looked like they had better squads under Guy Harrison..that would be late 70's

1971 1-8-0 86-301 Guy Harrison

1972 6-4-0 204-107 Guy Harrison

1973 8-2-0 285- 95 Guy Harrison

1974 5-5-0 143-142 Guy Harrison

1975 8-2-0 287- 73 Guy Harrison

1976 10-2-0 305- 81 Guy Harrison

1977 9-1-0 291- 41 Guy Harrison

1978 8-2-0 369- 87 Guy Harrison

1979 5-5-0 190-201 Guy Harrison

Far from horrible.

Guys...Been there....you are ALL skirting the TEAM....Huntington RED DEVILS....football since...1982....NEVER better than 3-7.....NOW blue I know "your boy" is there now and they are turning the corner....had a REAL good running back last 2 years....BUT since 1982 they have only won 3...3 district ball games....Diboll....Diboll...and last year Madisonville.....they were TERRIBLE....overall record.....39--297.....IF THAT'S NOT BAD???

Shelbyville has had it's moments as being bad, but far from the worst team around! There have been some very good teams actually that had to play up with the likes of Newton, Woodville, Kirbyville.. The first time this happened was in 77. This was a very good team that finished 8-2. In district the only game they lost was to a very powerful Newton team. This was probably the best small ball team ever around these parts. My opinion. and this was back when only one team went from each district.

The feature back was Wymon Bolton who went on to play for Texas Tech, and did well as a punt returner. There were also a few more D1 players on the squad. Aaron McClelland who played for UTEP, and Vernon Lister. Not sure where Lister played? Also Shon Lout FB/LB was recruited by D1 schools, but chose to step into the family business instead of pursue football. Rusty Jones was also and outstanding quarterback with college interest. Not sure why he didn't go? I think I will ask him...Also, Mickey Smith who is currently a Shelbyville coach was a sr. that year, and he broke his leg in the first scrimmage of the season. He had rushed for 1500 yards as a Jr. the year before, and he would have been in the same backfield with Wymon Bolton who rushed for 1500yds as a sophomore that year.

The 78 team was probably equally as good. They went 9-1 with the only loss being for the district championship against Garrison. There were some strange happenings surrounding this game. On the morning of the game a key player, Norman Welch was killed in a car wreck. He was the starting center, and a very beloved player on a tight knit team. It was tragic, and very traumatizing to the team. Guy Harrison contacted the UIL to have the game postponed to the next day. The decision was left up to Garrison, and ultimately the AD said no. Shelbyville lost 16-0. There is no way of knowing what might have been, but both teams had one common opponent that season which was Elysian fields. Garrison beet them 7-6 and Shelbyville beat them 55 -7. I know Guy Harrison very well, and we have talked about this game many times. He feels strongly that he had the better team. They were ranked #3 in 2a at the time, and one of the polls #1. He felt it was the best squad he had throughout the whole decade. Which was saying a lot!

Another interesting fact about the Garrison game was their AD Buddy Pierce became the AD at Shelbyville in 1986 and held the position until about 1995.

The 2007 and 2008 teams were good as well ,but could not compete with the likes of Kirbyville and Woodville. The current Ferguson teams also benefitted greatly from having the most talent since the great teams of the late 70's.

Shelbyville has had it's moments as being bad, but far from the worst team around! There have been some very good teams actually that had to play up with the likes of Newton, Woodville, Kirbyville.. The first time this happened was in 77. This was a very good team that finished 8-2. In district the only game they lost was to a very powerful Newton team. This was probably the best small ball team ever around these parts. My opinion. and this was back when only one team went from each district.

The feature back was Wymon Bolton who went on to play for Texas Tech, and did well as a punt returner. There were also a few more D1 players on the squad. Aaron McClelland who played for UTEP, and Vernon Lister. Not sure where Lister played? Also Shon Lout FB/LB was recruited by D1 schools, but chose to step into the family business instead of pursue football. Rusty Jones was also and outstanding quarterback with college interest. Not sure why he didn't go? I think I will ask him...Also, Mickey Smith who is currently a Shelbyville coach was a sr. that year, and he broke his leg in the first scrimmage of the season. He had rushed for 1500 yards as a Jr. the year before, and he would have been in the same backfield with Wymon Bolton who rushed for 1500yds as a sophomore that year.

The 78 team was probably equally as good. They went 9-1 with the only loss being for the district championship against Garrison. There were some strange happenings surrounding this game. On the morning of the game a key player, Norman Welch was killed in a car wreck. He was the starting center, and a very beloved player on a tight knit team. It was tragic, and very traumatizing to the team. Guy Harrison contacted the UIL to have the game postponed to the next day. The decision was left up to Garrison, and ultimately the AD said no. Shelbyville lost 16-0. There is no way of knowing what might have been, but both teams had one common opponent that season which was Elysian fields. Garrison beet them 7-6 and Shelbyville beat them 55 -7. I know Guy Harrison very well, and we have talked about this game many times. He feels strongly that he had the better team. They were ranked #3 in 2a at the time, and one of the polls #1. He felt it was the best squad he had throughout the whole decade. Which was saying a lot!

Another interesting fact about the Garrison game was their AD Buddy Pierce became the AD at Shelbyville in 1986 and held the position until about 1995.

The 2007 and 2008 teams were good as well ,but could not compete with the likes of Kirbyville and Woodville. The current Ferguson teams also benefitted greatly from having the most talent since the great teams of the late 70's.

Good post. Is this the same Guy Harrison that coached and taught in SA?

• Like 1

Perennial Homecoming Opponents....

No offense just what I've witnessed.

Queen City

Redwater(of old days)

Pine Tree

Ore City

Rivercrest

Paris Chisum

Prairiland

Nacogdoches

I wouldn't put Nacogdoches on that list. Nac has't been great, but they haven't been as bad as Pine Tree (well except in 2012), but historically speaking, they aren't that bad. I know back in the late 90s early 2000s, they actually had decent teams. The problem is that they were in the district with JT, Lee, Luf, Long and Marshall. And in the late 90s, those teams were ranked in the 10 at some point in the season. I think in 97 and 98, all 5 of the teams were ranked in the top 10 at some point. Nac was just the poor man out. They would have probably made the playoffs in many other districts.

went to most all those games we was bad

wouldnt have missed the playoffs under today's rules 96 or 97 seasons. Also believe it was 95 we went 8-2 and missed playoffs. Not saying we were great my junior and senior years but most people would tell you we were far from terrible until about 2000 I believe

Cushing can't have over a handful of winning seasons in their entire history. They have been doormats so long I'm surprised they haven't dropped football ....

They've been halfway decent the last few years. They moved up to 2A D-1. They might have did that to keep from playing Iola.

Hey Kirt, tell me again about the visitors side at Tenaha.

I wouldn't put Nacogdoches on that list. Nac has't been great, but they haven't been as bad as Pine Tree (well except in 2012), but historically speaking, they aren't that bad. I know back in the late 90s early 2000s, they actually had decent teams. The problem is that they were in the district with JT, Lee, Luf, Long and Marshall. And in the late 90s, those teams were ranked in the 10 at some point in the season. I think in 97 and 98, all 5 of the teams were ranked in the top 10 at some point. Nac was just the poor man out. They would have probably made the playoffs in many other districts.

That was a brutal district but Nac has had some success in football I know nobody wants to admit it.

Cannot believe this post has gone this far and Cross Roads has not been mentioned.

Cannot believe this post has gone this far and Cross Roads has not been mentioned.

514...Cross Roads is BAD...BUT not as bad as Huntington......at least CR has made the play-offs!!!!...Back in 2010...Huntington was in a 5 team district and STILL couldn't make the play-offs....BUT was a district with Carthage--Center---Diboll---Jasper--Huntington

514...Cross Roads is BAD...BUT not as bad as Huntington......at least CR has made the play-offs!!!!...Back in 2010...Huntington was in a 5 team district and STILL couldn't make the play-offs....BUT was a district with Carthage--Center---Diboll---Jasper--Huntington

Embarrassing.
  • Like 1

Cross Roads and Huntington would stomp a mudhole in Cushing's rear end and walk it dry most years ....

Cross Roads and Huntington would stomp a mudhole in Cushing's rear end and walk it dry most years ....

Ok, I've held back on giving my thoughts. Worst single season by an East Texas team, I've got to go with '96 Carlisle. The fact that ten years after that debacle they were a state semi-finalist and now are a playoff mainstay says a lot about Rocky Baker and his staff. The award for year-in, year-out historical ineptitude has to go to Huntington. In 35 years of football, the best season they've had is 3-7. I believe they have 3 total district wins over that time. Say what you want about Cushing, Kirt, but they've got Huntington beat. Cushing has been way better at times in their history. They were one of the smallest schools in AA D1 last year, and would have been a playoff team had they been in any other Region 3 district. I'm hoping my old buddy will be the guy to turn Huntington around.

As beast as I recall, Cushing beat CrossRoads in their last meeting 2010, Bearkats came back from being down 26-0 at the half and won the game 31-26.

As beast as I recall, Cushing beat CrossRoads in their last meeting 2010, Bearkats came back from being down 26-0 at the half and won the game 31-26.

Correct. Might have been 2009 though. 2010 was the 0fer year...That was a great game though. At least the second half was!

Well, a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while .... for Cushing, they have been few and far between .... :P