Lovelady at Timpson
Granger at Wortham
Grapeland (idle)

Big Sandy: 51, Mount Enterprise: 0

Overton: 54, Colmesneil: 18

Tenaha: 43, West Sabine: 12

Lovelady: 27, Timpson: 0

Granger: 43, Wortham: 20

Anyone remember the last time the stangs were 3-1 headed to dist with back to back 50+ pt games?

I'm pretty sure I was wearing stonewashed jeans, Stüssy shirts, and Converse All-Stars the last time that happened. I've checked back through the '00s and we've never been close. Even in '05 (when we had a dang good team that won district) the closest we came was a couple of back-to-back 30 and 40-point games.

Ok ok, before anyone says, "Yeah, well, y'all ain't exactly playing high competition!" Well, there have been plenty of times where we had back-to-back cupcakes, and still weren't able to crack 50. Shoot, weren't able to crack 30! Ya gotta crawl before you can walk, and beating the teams you're supposed to beat is a step in the right direction for this program.

So I've been doing a little bit of research this morning... the last time Overton had back-to-back 50-point games was back in the day. Yeah, we're talking during the mid-90s. That's a very encouraging sign headed in the bye week. Granted, the competition is not exactly "murderer's row," but for a young program with a small roster and a new AD (a new system), the Mustangs are showing a lot of early promise.

Now they've got a week off to work on areas they've struggled in, to watch film and rehab from the typical bumps and bruises that occur over the course of a season. The 'Stangs would be wise to take a road trip to Grapeland this Friday and watch closely how the Sandies do against Maud.

Sure wish I had a box score. I'm certain Overton had some impressive numbers on offense. Sure would love to be able to nominate some kids for some player of the week honors. Just sayin.

No doubt...3 had a monster game, 7 was solid again....D stepped up big time without 25 last night

• Like 1

Mount Enterprise... with the shocking upset.

Overton... wins on a last-second field goal.

West Sabine... hangs half-a-hunnerd on the Fightin' Greezy Chefs.

Timpson... survives a shootout over Lovelady.

Wortham... blows out Granger.

Grapeland... where y'all at? <crickets>

You almost got the 1st one right

• Like 1

I still feel like they coulda done it, just ran outta time... all they needed was a few more quarters. :lol:

Agree 100%. Our JV was getting winded.

On a side note...Mt Enterprise QB got hurt on second to last play of the game. Hope he is OK. He was able to get up and get off the field but he was down for a while. He is it for Enterprise.

On a side note...Mt Enterprise QB got hurt on second to last play of the game. Hope he is OK. He was able to get up and get off the field but he was down for a while.

Ugh, hate to hear that. Injuries man, they're the worst.

After this week, I wouldn't bet against you. Guess it's still early, so we'll see, but 12-2A D2 has not showered itself in glory.

When you greatness it's hard not to.

Will say one thing about this District, looks like to me the top four teams are all studs. And picking a Dist champ would be iffy. In 12-2A D2, it's either Iola or Evadale. Good luck to all, and no more injuries! Looking forward to how the games come out.

Will say one thing about this District, looks like to me the top four teams are all studs. And picking a Dist champ would be iffy. In 12-2A D2, it's either Iola or Evadale. Good luck to all, and no more injuries! Looking forward to how the games come out.

Studs? Hardly. On the rise? Maybe.

Tenaha's the only team out of this district that looks to make any kind of run in the postseason. I don't expect anyone else will even get a whiff of the district title. Grapeland's shown they can score a lotta points, unfortunately they haven't been able to really stop anyone yet. Timpson has walloped inferior teams, but got whipped when playing up. Same with Overton. Both still have A LOT to prove. Wortham is hit or miss, and Mount Enterprise is the toughest dadgum six-man team in the state. For reals yo, they got cojones the size of Rio Grande grapefruit... just no depth.

Some of these also-rans may come together as the season progresses, and peak at the right time, or they might start to fall apart and collapse by Week 10. Time will tell...

Studs? Hardly. On the rise? Maybe.

Tenaha's the only team out of this district that looks to make any kind of run in the postseason. I don't expect anyone else will even get a whiff of the district title. Grapeland's shown they can score a lotta points, unfortunately they haven't been able to really stop anyone yet. Timpson has walloped inferior teams, but got whipped when playing up. Same with Overton. Both still have A LOT to prove. Wortham is hit or miss, and Mount Enterprise is the toughest dadgum six-man team in the state. For reals yo, they got cojones the size of Rio Grande grapefruit... just no depth.

Some of these also-rans may come together as the season progresses, and peak at the right time, or they might start to fall apart and collapse by Week 10. Time will tell...

No doubt about Tenaha. They demolished West Sabine. Granted, WS is not real good this year, but they always play hard. What I'm still trying to figure out about Tenaha, is it something in the water, or do they pay a better signing bonus than the other schools? Saw them play Evadale once. Dadgum they were good! And it's like that every year it seems like. They'll have their hands full with Bremond. I think last lost they had was 2013 SC - to Tenaha.

• Like 1

Just don't see anyone challenging Tenaha for the overall district crown but there are a couple squads that could make things interesting for sure. The battle for the 2 spot should be a good one. The new staff in O-town certainly have changed some attitudes and it's showed on the field. Don't know much about Wortham but Timpson seems like they are always competitive and if the young Grapeland squad has matured any they could be a factor as well. They were a young emerging team last year. In no particular order Overton, Timpson,Tenaha, Grapeland....and that's the bottom line cause....Oh wait....Wooo!

• Like 2

What I'm still trying to figure out about Tenaha, is it something in the water, or do they pay a better signing bonus than the other schools? Saw them play Evadale once. Dadgum they were good! And it's like that every year it seems like.

It's a simple three-part formula that's almost impossible to replicate anywhere else.

1.) Nobody leaves. That's it. The kids who are playing for Tennyhaw now are the great-grandsons of former Tenaha standouts. Even though there's no real industrial-commercial infrastructure (which means most daddies have to work elsewhere), nobody throws a temper tantrum and decides to enroll their kid in the town next door. Or if they do, they're the rare exception.

2.) Community support. I'm sure Tenaha has occasional drama flare-ups, but everyone (for the most part) sees things as "us versus them" that is, Tenaha versus the world. They don't tear each other apart over football mama drama or booster club politics. Everyone toes the party line, or they get run outta town.

3.) Coaching. Head over to the Smoaky Historical Section and look at their head coach history. Pretty impressive. With only rare exception, Tenaha hires excellent ADs, who then acquire quality assistants. What does that mean? Money. Which means the school district (and by extension the community) supports investing in the program. (see #2) Look at that wicked bus they got. Nothing scandalous. They put it to a vote, and it passed easily. The people support their school, period.

When I look around at small-school programs who seem like they can never get their stuff together, it's always because of at least one of these three things. Some of the better ones are usually able to at least achieve two outta three. Tenaha does all three well. So long as they continue to do so, they'll continue to be one of the class programs of 2A.

• Like 1

Lol, when walking to out stadium, I saw two of those buses (as I remember, they had a band), I told my wife, Evadale is in serious trouble. Correct assumption lol. That #2 is tough anywhere. Most have support, but not the type unity your talking about. What you said, it's Tenaha vs the world, that must account for the postings I've seen on their visitors stands :)

• Like 1

Lol, when walking to out stadium, I saw two of those buses (as I remember, they had a band), I told my wife, Evadale is in serious trouble. Correct assumption lol. That #2 is tough anywhere. Most have support, but not the type unity your talking about. What you said, it's Tenaha vs the world, that must account for the postings I've seen on their visitors stands :)

It's called The Pit for a reason.

I believe they have 3 of the buses. They're not the only school to do that, although I think they may have been the first in this area. It's actually a pretty wise investment. They're usually reconditioned tour buses, and the $$ you spend over a few years of service, to my understanding, is actually less than what you spend on a yellow dog.

I believe they have 3 of the buses. They're not the only school to do that, although I think they may have been the first in this area. It's actually a pretty wise investment. They're usually reconditioned tour buses, and the $$ you spend over a few years of service, to my understanding, is actually less than what you spend on a yellow dog.

It's nice having them in basketball season for sure. We are able to pack them down with fans.

It's nice having them in basketball season for sure. We are able to pack them down with fans.