Sam Houston State Football

Coach0001

Yeah I mean they have only been in the Final 4

4 out of the 5 years and the final 2 teams twice in that time

How many times has Lamar been there? Since being from the Beaumont area I assume that's your team

I can see the top of his head getting red and steam coming out of his ears.

Yeah I mean they have only been in the Final 4

4 out of the 5 years and the final 2 teams twice in that time

How many times has Lamar been there? Since being from the Beaumont area I assume that's your team

WRONG...........AXE EM..........:p

You have axed nothing in the battle of the pineywoods in many years

The winds are changing...

As much as I hate to admit it, Sam has a very good team this year. If there was any year to knock off NDSU, this would be it. Don't think they do it, but they are a contender

NDSU if not for them SHSU would have 1-2 Championships and be the program in FCS

But I would argue with the results to back it up that in the first half of this decade the 2nd best FCS program in the nation rests in Huntsville as much as you Jacks hate to admit it

The winds are changing...

As much as I hate to admit it, Sam has a very good team this year. If there was any year to knock off NDSU, this would be it. Don't think they do it, but they are a contender

NDSU if not for them SHSU would have 1-2 Championships and be the program in FCS

But I would argue with the results to back it up that in the first half of this decade the 2nd best FCS program in the nation rests in Huntsville as much as you Jacks hate to admit it

I can agree to that. They have been solid, even through the coaching changes. This year is no different.

I have a lot of students there, and don't despise them as much outside of BOTPW Week. Still don't like them, but don't hate them as much...

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN LUMBERJACKS

STADIUM: Homer Bryce Stadium

COACH: Clint Conque (12-12 in two seasons at Stephen F. Austin; 117-71 overall)

LAST SEASON: 4-7 overall, 4-5 Southland (Tie/5th)

STARTERS RETURNING: 16 (9 offense, 7 defense)

THREE KEY LOSSES: Terran Vaughn, OL; Byron Williams, OL; Justin Owens, LB

ONE TO WATCH ON OFFENSE: Zach Conque, QB, Sr. (177-for-303, 1,933 yards, 16 TDs, 8 INTs; 139 carries, 554 yards, 11 TDs)

ONE TO WATCH ON DEFENSE: John Franklin, DE, Jr. (32 TT, 8.5 TFL, 6 sacks, 5 QBH)

OTHER KEY PLAYERS: Loren Easly, RB, Jr.; Joshawa West, RB, Sr.; Aaron Piper, WR, Jr.; Robert Sylvester, WR/KR, Jr.; Justice Liggins, WR, Sr.; De'Quann Ruffin, WR, Sr.; Anthony Pullins, C, Sr.; Kedrick Harrison, DE, Sr.; Mitchel Zimmerle, DT, Jr.; Price Miller, LB, Sr.; George Stone, LB, Sr.; Tre Rosser, CB, Sr.; Zack Starnes, CB, Sr.; Patrick Martin, S, Sr.; Ahmad Muhammad, S, Jr.; Marlon Walls, S, Jr.

OUTLOOK: A plethora of returnees in the skills position figure to push SFA back to a winning season. The Lumberjacks were undone by an 0-5 start last season, less than a year removed from having a playoff team. QB Zach Conque figures to have a special senior campaign under his father Clint, who also took Central Arkansas to the playoffs in 2011 and '12. The key for the offense is to overcome three senior losses up front. If the 'Jacks do, Zach Conque will be part of a strong run game that is led by RBs Easly (759 yards, 4 TDs) and West (617 yards, 1 TD). The team's five leading receivers are back as well, including Piper (41 receptions, 382 yards, 4 TDs) and Sylvester (39 receptions, 364 yards, 1 TD). The defense surrendered 33 points per game and was ravaged by the pass last season. With DE Franklin making a difference in the pass rush, the defense is counting on improvement. The 'Jacks jump right into the Southland fray with McNeese, Abilene Christian and Sam Houston to begin conference play.

SCHEDULE:

Sept. 3, at Texas Tech

Sept. 10, West Alabama

Sept. 17, at McNeese*

Sept. 24, Abilene Christian*

Oct. 1, Sam Houston State* (at NRG Stadium, Houston)

Oct. 8, at Nicholls*

Oct. 15, Southeastern Louisiana*

Oct. 29, at Incarnate Word*

Nov. 5, Central Arkansas*

Nov. 12, at Houston Baptist*

Nov. 19, Northwestern State*

* - Southland game

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160818121706590247504

ONE TO WATCH ON OFFENSE: Zach Conque, QB, Sr. (177-for-303, 1,933 yards, 16 TDs, 8 INTs; 139 carries, 554 yards, 11 TDs)

ONE TO WATCH ON DEFENSE: John Franklin, DE, Jr. (32 TT, 8.5 TFL, 6 sacks, 5 QBH)

OTHER KEY PLAYERS: Loren Easly, RB, Jr.; Joshawa West, RB, Sr.; Aaron Piper, WR, Jr.; Robert Sylvester, WR/KR, Jr.; Justice Liggins, WR, Sr.; De'Quann Ruffin, WR, Sr.; Anthony Pullins, C, Sr.; Kedrick Harrison, DE, Sr.; Mitchel Zimmerle, DT, Jr.; Price Miller, LB, Sr.; George Stone, LB, Sr.; Tre Rosser, CB, Sr.; Zack Starnes, CB, Sr.; Patrick Martin, S, Sr.; Ahmad Muhammad, S, Jr.; Marlon Walls, S, Jr.

OUTLOOK: A plethora of returnees in the skills position figure to push SFA back to a winning season. The Lumberjacks were undone by an 0-5 start last season, less than a year removed from having a playoff team. QB Zach Conque figures to have a special senior campaign under his father Clint, who also took Central Arkansas to the playoffs in 2011 and '12. The key for the offense is to overcome three senior losses up front. If the 'Jacks do, Zach Conque will be part of a strong run game that is led by RBs Easly (759 yards, 4 TDs) and West (617 yards, 1 TD). The team's five leading receivers are back as well, including Piper (41 receptions, 382 yards, 4 TDs) and Sylvester (39 receptions, 364 yards, 1 TD). The defense surrendered 33 points per game and was ravaged by the pass last season. With DE Franklin making a difference in the pass rush, the defense is counting on improvement. The 'Jacks jump right into the Southland fray with McNeese, Abilene Christian and Sam Houston to begin conference play.

SCHEDULE:

Sept. 3, at Texas Tech

Sept. 10, West Alabama

Sept. 17, at McNeese*

Oct. 8, at Nicholls*

* - Southland game

Former Harmony All-Stater Lucas Askew is on the SFA team this year. Axe'Em

They were being polite.

You do know we almost beat them, right? We came from behind 24-3 to tie it up 24-24 in the fourth quarter. They went on two VERY LONG clock chewing drives to score two touchdowns, and Jalen Overstreet had a monster game, but we threw for almost 500 yards against them, and also won the turnover battle 3-1.

Last year, the SHSU fans told us as we were leaving Bowers stadium that aside from Texas Tech, we (TAMUC) were the best team that had played that entire year and this was the first week of November.

I was at that game. The Lions gave Sam a run for their money in that game. I came away impressed. I was surprised the Lions didn't do better in the playoffs.

I loved the throwback East Texas State uniforms.

SCHEDULE:

Sept. 3, at Texas Tech

Sept. 10, West Alabama

Sept. 17, at McNeese*

Oct. 8, at Nicholls*

* - Southland game

Sport Football

First meeting November 17, 1923

Stephen F. Austin 19, Sam Houston 6

Latest meeting October 3, 2015

Sam Houston 34, Stephen F. Austin 28

Trophy Piney Woods Trophy

Statistics

Meetings total 90

All-time series Sam Houston leads, 53-35-2

Largest victory Stephen F. Austin, 42-3 (2009)

Longest win streak Sam Houston, 6 (1937-41, 46)

Current win streak Sam Houston, 5 (2011present)