Gilmer Buckeyes vs Carthage Bulldogs

DAWG91

Gilmer Buckeyes vs Carthage Bulldogs  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got and why?

• Gilmer Buckeyes
    • Carthage Bulldogs

Carthage always marches good depth onto the field, thats what school with over 700 kids allows, Gilmers depth this year is there, but it doesnt have much experience or size!

Gilmer always has just as much depth as Carthage. I might be being a little picky about your post, but there is a very small difference enrollment wise between the 2 schools. There is a 69 kid difference. Let's say half are boys, and I'll even give you grades 10-12. That means Carthage has 26 more kids walking the halls that can play varsity football than Gilmer. It doesn't get more even than that.

Yeah, not enough difference to make a difference in my opinion. Carthage does usually have a size advantage. Gilmer hasn't had a whole lotta size since the '00s. We still have been very successful so it's usually not that much of an issue. We need to start feeding our boys some cornbead... :lol:

Yeah, not enough difference to make a difference in my opinion. Carthage does usually have a size advantage. Gilmer hasn't had a whole lotta size since the '00s. We still have been very successful so it's usually not that much of an issue. We need to start feeding our boys some cornbead... :lol:

Haha. To be honest we look a lot like a Gilmer team this season. We still got a couple of big boys, but not as many as usual. I think Gilmer fans will be surprised. We are more like spider monkeys this year.

Haha. To be honest we look a lot like a Gilmer team this season. We still got a couple of big boys, but not as many as usual. I think Gilmer fans will be surprised. We are more like spider monkeys this year.

Spider monkeys???!!! That's us! We can't both be spider monkeys... :o

To be honest I don't read his posts cause of the writing and he usually posts a essay Everytime.

Lol he does write an article! I don't remember his font being different last year, but it might have been. He has settled down though in the last year, he was much more aggressive last year I thought.

I could see Gilmer making some changes on Defense. In 2014 they started Blake Lynch at safety. After the Tatum game, they moved him to corner, moved the Corner (Devin Smith) to Safety, and the defense was definitely better, as both kids flourished in their new positions. They have played LaMarcus a lot a safety this year, and I can see them moving him back to corner.

Gilmer usually beats teams because they have the depth to wear them out. That won't be the case with Carthage. And it's not because Carthage is a bigger school. Gilmer and Carthage both have this vital ingredient for Football success: Program Tradition. Both schools have built a program from the 7th grade up. That means more kids stay in the program, develop, and contribute. Yes, both schools regularly have that "special" athlete, who has D1 potential. But both schools win because they have 20-30 kids that nobody would give a 2nd notice to. But these kids have developed into great players. That's what a program does. That's why Carthage and Gilmer will always reload, not rebuild.

• Like 3

I could see Gilmer making some changes on Defense. In 2014 they started Blake Lynch at safety. After the Tatum game, they moved him to corner, moved the Corner (Devin Smith) to Safety, and the defense was definitely better, as both kids flourished in their new positions. They have played LaMarcus a lot a safety this year, and I can see them moving him back to corner.

Gilmer usually beats teams because they have the depth to wear them out. That won't be the case with Carthage. And it's not because Carthage is a bigger school. Gilmer and Carthage both have this vital ingredient for Football success: Program Tradition. Both schools have built a program from the 7th grade up. That means more kids stay in the program, develop, and contribute. Yes, both schools regularly have that "special" athlete, who has D1 potential. But both schools win because they have 20-30 kids that nobody would give a 2nd notice to. But these kids have developed into great players. That's what a program does. That's why Carthage and Gilmer will always reload, not rebuild.

Spot on!!!

Excellent assessment of these two great programs.

• Like 1

I think Carthage is the more balanced team and have been leaning towards them to win but somehow Gilmer always finds a way to win against everyone they play.Just like the LE game for example.By looking at both teams warming up on the field you wouldn't think they would stand a chance.They are always undersized against everyone they play but still win.So I'm going to say Gilmer finds a way to win this game too.

No disrespect taken. Nac has a heck of a team this season. Might be better than Carthage or Gilmer. They dominated Kilgore, hung with Lufkin, and beat 6a REL. I don't know if any team in 4a could do that. Plus they are 3 times the size enrollment wise as Gilmer.

Just a side note and note sure if you intended it this way but Nac is 5A so handling up on Lee although surprising not like a 4A team handling a 6A team

Carthage by 6. Defense is very solid and offense will pick up the slack from the previous games. I don't see Gilmer scoring much on the Dawg D. They are good at just about every spot with lots of experience at the varisty level. QB and Recievers on offense is a threat, and the Linebackers will hold their own. Best of luck to both teams. Go Dawgs.

Just a side note and note sure if you intended it this way but Nac is 5A so handling up on Lee although surprising not like a 4A team handling a 6A team

Yes I understand that. They have almost 3 times the enrollment of Gilmer or Carthage. My comment was meant to say that I don't think any 4a team could match what they have done this season, but I understand that they are 5a. Usually not the case, but they might be the best 5a team in East Texas this season. Maybe Texas High is better?