Nacogdoches vs gilmer nac homecoming

nacdragon07

Gilmer @ Nacogdoches   

68 members have voted

1. 1. Pick it.....

They still haven't "proved" anything yet. It's still up in the air about this year's squad. They had a lot of major injuries last season, plus they were in a district with John Tyler, Ennis, and Corsicana last season. How would the best of 4A-D2 have done against that schedule? Probably about the same as Nac did in all honesty.

Nac has not proven a thing yet, this year!! Our defense is head and shoulders better than the last two years. We have speed at every skilled position, something you can not say about previous years. All of this will mean nothing finishing at or near .500 and missing or losing the first round in the playoffs!! Nac as a program is learning how to win, just like most of the local programs have had to do at some point. There has always been talent at Nac, just hard to get the coach that will get playing football. Seeing D1 players coming from the program excite the community.

I am hoping to see their first playoff win this year, but lots of football let through district and the Bi district draw isn't favorable.

If the zebra (Ray Charles) would have done his job Carthage would have had at least expensive to called back. Was holding all night long.

3 tds

If the zebra (Ray Charles) would have done his job Carthage would have had at least 3 td called back. Was holding all night long.

Gilmer held #90 all night long too... Poppy might have been sacked on Numerous plays...

Defines "competes well in their classification" for me....since I don't think Nac has a playoff win since the early 90s.

Competing does not mean winning. It means they played a competitive game against teams equal to or better than themselves. I just know that Nac has won some games in the past three or four years that prior to that, would have been over by halftime. And a team that is a talented competitive team in 5A, that plays down in classification, can usually hang with or even defeat very talented teams in lower class.

I find that kinda sad . He was very big and got dominated.

Yea it was really bad at the end. The funny thing was, we where sitting right next to the Gilmer radio crew, and in a 10 play Gilmer drive, on 9 plays the Carthage crowd stands up yelling "HOLDING REF!!," while of course the Gilmer crew was silent. Then on that 10th play it's silent and the Gilmer radio crew yells "DEFENSIVE HOLDING REF COME ON."

Holding has been overlooked all season by every officiating crew I've seen. There were several holds on BOTH sides of the ball that weren't called. I have seen us get away with it, but I've seen it not called against our opponent, too. Sometimes it evens out a little, other times not. I guess that's just the way it is sometimes. I laugh, too, when our opponents complain about it because we have just as much justification to complain as they do.

Yea it was really bad at the end. The funny thing was, we where sitting right next to the Gilmer radio crew, and in a 10 play Gilmer drive, on 9 plays the Carthage crowd stands up yelling "HOLDING REF!!," while of course the Gilmer crew was silent. Then on that 10th play it's silent and the Gilmer radio crew yells "DEFENSIVE HOLDING REF COME ON."

Normally the crowd does not see holding calls in the trenches. The reason the blocks on #90 were so visible was because he is 6'6 as a rush end and was considerably taller than the players blocking him. As it turned out the blocks or no holding calls on #90 didn't decide the outcome of the game. So it's water under the bridge.

• Like 1

As far as getting the calls goes, the Gilmer fans won't have to gripe this week. Nac does NOT get any calls at home. Watch the Lufkin game and you will see that every close call goes against the Dragons. Nac will have to beat the Buckeyes and the Zebras to win Friday night.

Lies!!! Yea, watch the game and you will see majority of the calls going for Nac. Y'all were able to score that last td because the refs were helping you out. I think there were three or four penalties on us in just that one drive. Y'all also got a fumble back because the same ref that was giving y'all calls all game said it was incomplete. Don't even get me started on the the ref calling Garcia out of bounds and the flag on the punt return that was called back when it was a clean hit, not block in the back or holding....whatever that "ref" called. Oh yea...the flag that was thrown but waved off because....well we didn't get an explanation when our punt returner wasn't given any room to catch the ball. So, stop with the lies. Kilgore fans even complained about the calls in Nac the week before. Those refs were the reason that game was even close between us...

I want to hear the opinions of folks from gilmer. Do you think you would be doing better if JT was still there? I'm a firm believer that coaching has everything to do with success or failure in HS football. Take my dawgs for example, we always had the athletes but never could get the ring. SS comes to town, BOOM! 4 titles in 7 years.

I want to hear the opinions of folks from gilmer. Do you think you would be doing better if JT was still there? I'm a firm believer that coaching has everything to do with success or failure in HS football. Take my dawgs for example, we always had the athletes but never could get the ring. SS comes to town, BOOM! 4 titles in 7 years.

Gilmer has TWO losses in the Turner era and a State Semi finals appearance in their only full season. I don't see how you can be unhappy with that. It's unfair to compare the two in my opinion. At least not until more time has passed.

Im neither happy nor unhappy but the comparisons are being made. i saw one poster saying something having to do with a player playing or not and they said "unfortunately thats how it is in the post-jt era.". So im thinking folks are already talking in g town.

Don't listen to those people that are too critical. I've disagreed with a lot of things the coaches have done, and that includes Jeff when he was here. Matt and Jeff have different styles to coaching for sure, and that is probably the reason why some are questioning some of what Matt does now. There are times where some think Matt is a little too passive when things don't go the Buckeyes way, but you can't really argue with the results so far. Could the Buckeyes be better? Sure, but there were also times when the same could be said when Jeff was here. The majority of the staff that is still in Gilmer were the coaches that were here when Jeff was here. That same staff was the main reason Jeff was so successful being the HC/AD.

• Like 1