Should Celina QB be Suspended ?

Hagar

Ok my last post on this subject. It's real easy from some blow hards on this site to say what they would do and what should be done. As a person who has been in the position of player and coach I would treat the situation differently. I got a reduced sentence from even what I am asking for. I am happily married with two smart beautifully healthy kids and have never been to jail or committed anything over a misdemeanor. Suspending the kid for the season doesn't teach him anymore than making Him understand that it never needs to happen again. The severity of punishment doesn't teach.

Hell, I played to man. You have no point.

Your screen name is no doubt fake. I honestly think your trolling this topic and the Baylor topic. Go spend some time with those kids and set them an example. Your not doing it on here!

I'm surprised he let him suit up. And since Melissa had a pretty good record, it makes me wonder, if the game had been tight, if he might have put him in. Maybe he had no intention of playing him, but the fact that he was in uniform, opens up this already controversial incident to more conjecture

Exactly! Keeping him on the sideline 'in case they need him to bail them out' just adds fuel to the fire! That teaches him nothing! Set consequences that teach a boy who made a mistake (and the rest of his team) a lesson and stick with it through the pain. Gain lots of progress in the end! Seems to me like this coaching move was strictly to show that the coach was "handling" a situation that he really didn't intend to handle. No lessons learned here. But actually, yes there is - keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about winning with character. Sad, sad!

• Like 1

It should be your last post on the subject because you have very poor judgement. I don't care how long you have played or coached. Letting the kid off the hook with a minor slap on the wrist teaches other players it's not that big of a deal. So what would the kid have to do to get suspended for the rest of the season? What this kid did warrants nothing short of suspension for the rest of the year, plain and simple. It sends a message to the rest of the team that this type of behavior WILL NOT BE TOLERATED ...

Or perhaps it is.

Texans should not forget that they live in a state that prosecutes minors younger than this young man as adults and most of you posters are all right with that. Especially you who consider yourselves conservative. This qb is not going to prison, not going to be sanctioned by the almighty UIL, his school, or even his parent(s). A wholly pathetic situation in more ways than one. If he should do something analogous to this outside of the arena of athletic competition he will be looking to get away with it. How is the young man who got stomped on supposed to feel? His teammates, his parent(s), coach, school, community... The qb from Celina will learn his lesson one way or the other and it won't be nice. Negative karma is a mutha.

I don't respect Celina for this because my minimum punishment would be to sit out of football for a week. No practice. No speaking to the coaches about football. No dressing out and traveling with the team etc.

Next year Princeton has to play at Celina.

Yep......definitely sounds like a liberal.........

I nearly fell in the floor laughing at your comment.

He wouldn't have even suited-up if I were the coach.

Right on. If I were the coach, he would have not been on the team this past week. If he wanted to go to the game he could have went and bought a ticket.

Suspending the kid for the season doesn't teach him anymore than making Him understand that it never needs to happen again. The severity of punishment doesn't teach.

I get on here and read time to time. I have been following this thread and thought I would contribute something to it. I hear people make this argument, your statement, all the time. It is usually in the context of capital punishment. First, the severity of punishment does teach. The reason punishment should be severe for certain crimes is to deter those who can be impacted by it. Sure, severe punishment does not mean that there will be no lawlessness, and nobody argues that. Howver, for some, severe punishment is a deterrence and that is exactly why this kind of punishment is needed. This is where liberals miss the point. For those others who are not deterred by it, we have other ways to deal with them yet. It is all done to make sure that we stay a lawful society. As for this particular situation, you need to consider the entire team yet, because that is who is affected. It is not just the one player. And if you believe for a minute that kicking the kid off of the team will not significantly impact the other players on the team then you are fooling yourself. Of course it will impact them! Kick him off! It will teach the team a lesson, and it will eliminate the possibility of the boy doing it again. Who knows whether or not in a few weeks, the opportunity will present itself again yet, and the boy who is a senior will have nothing to lose because he is playing his last game, so he does it again. Except this time, is seriously hurts another kid. I heard it stated that he is just a kid. How about start treating these teenagers like they are adults? If people would start raising their expectations of teenagers, lo and behold, there might be a difference in the behavior of teenagers. Regardless, what this boy did is wrong. There is absolutely no room for any kind of this stuff in football, nor anywhere else. This is an extreme case and it should be severely dealt with. Am I am shocked to hear a “coach” on here arguing otherwise.

• Like 4

A. it was a fumble on the goal line not an interception.

B. Premeditated?? You think he had this in mind before the game started? I think he saw an opportunity and acted on it. That's not premeditated.

Premeditated? I think yall Carthage folk are using words outside of your understanding.

So Youngcoach,,,, just how many ankle stomps would it take for "you" to call it worthy of a civil action? 2,,, 5,,, 25? This kid was five yards behind the line of scrimmage, saw the Braves player on the ground,, walked over to him, checking to see if the refs were missing, put his foot and weight on the kids ankle, then if that wasn''t enough, he picked his foot up and stomped on it. He had several seconds to think about what he was going to do. To me that is premeditated.

• Like 1

I get on here and read time to time. I have been following this thread and thought I would contribute something to it. I hear people make this argument, your statement, all the time. It is usually in the context of capital punishment. First, the severity of punishment does teach. The reason punishment should be severe for certain crimes is to deter those who can be impacted by it. Sure, severe punishment does not mean that there will be no lawlessness, and nobody argues that. Howver, for some, severe punishment is a deterrence and that is exactly why this kind of punishment is needed. This is where liberals miss the point. For those others who are not deterred by it, we have other ways to deal with them yet. It is all done to make sure that we stay a lawful society. As for this particular situation, you need to consider the entire team yet, because that is who is affected. It is not just the one player. And if you believe for a minute that kicking the kid off of the team will not significantly impact the other players on the team then you are fooling yourself. Of course it will impact them! Kick him off! It will teach the team a lesson, and it will eliminate the possibility of the boy doing it again. Who knows whether or not in a few weeks, the opportunity will present itself again yet, and the boy who is a senior will have nothing to lose because he is playing his last game, so he does it again. Except this time, is seriously hurts another kid. I heard it stated that he is just a kid. How about start treating these teenagers like they are adults? If people would start raising their expectations of teenagers, lo and behold, there might be a difference in the behavior of teenagers. Regardless, what this boy did is wrong. There is absolutely no room for any kind of this stuff in football, nor anywhere else. This is an extreme case and it should be severely dealt with. Am I am shocked to hear a “coach” on here arguing otherwise.

+100,000

It simply is not about character, or honor, or accountability any more in this country. This is exactly why we have Hillary and Donald T. running for president. Thank you TheRightStuff,,, best argument proposed, and you sir, are a wise man. A kid who has no respect for lawfulness / the right way to act, will likely be an adult with the same attitude, unless they are disciplined in a way to make an impact on their brains. Nobody wants to see a kid do something to jeopardize their possible career, but everyone on the planet was created with a mind to make choices with. And if I read the Bible correctly, every one of us will be held accountable for our choices. I don't say that to sound preachy, but because it's a simple truth. And if we as society don't hold teens accountable for their actions, the lawlessness we see around us today, will just continue to get worse. Yes, this is a simple matter, and some people dismiss it as no big deal. The words "simple matter", means that there is a simple manner to deal with the situation,,,, justly. The QB for Celina may feel bad for what he did, and he may wish he had not done it. I hope so. But doing it, and even saying I'm sorry, does not negate the discipline that should be handed out. But I do agree that no coach, should have to hand out discipline for something after the fact, "if" he has not laid down the law to his team about such matters and their consequences to begin the season. If he hasn't done so, then maybe "he" is the one who should be disciplined, along with the kid, by the school board.

And if a kid has to sit for several games or possibly the rest of the season, I don't bye into the reasoning that the other kids are getting punished. If this happens, you have taught the rest of the team character and honor, and from that point on,, as a coach, you expect, (and hopefully the rest of the team sees it as an opportunity) to step up their game, and make sure they play hard enough, to make up for the other kids loss. A "next man up mentality". You hope that teaches the other kids the importance of doing things the right way, and if so, They will have gained much more than the excitement and pride of winning a few more games. And to anyone who says that is 1951 or 1961 calling,,,, awesome, this was a better world back then. So have at me now,, stomp on my ankle,, call me old fashioned if you want, but I've got big shoulders, and know I'm right, and won't feel any different if you do.

• Like 3

AGAIN, let the Head Football Coach/AD handle this. That is HIS job!

If he handles it wrong then let his superiors handle him.

If his superiors get it wrong then let the school board handle them

If the school board gets it wrong let the town of Celina vote them out.

Alot of checks and balances here, BUT.....

If somehow, they ALL get it wrong, quit your jobs ( if you actually have one) and move your self righteous sorry as ses to Celina. There you can possibly get or further your education, maybe even get a voter registration card take up residence there run for school board and make a positive change in that community.

Most of you are TOTALLY nuts.

You know what,,, I agree with you all the way down through line 5. But then you had to go all sarcastic on us. I don't think any one of us disagrees that the powers that be should be judge and jury about this. Maybe we might disagree about the severity of it all, and the eventual discipline involved. But that doesn't give anyone the right to get sarcastic and call anyone else "nuts", because we disagree with you about something. And after all, this is a sports forum. We're not all going to agree about everything anyway, and anyone else, just like you, has a right to their opinion. I respect that right for you,, but not so much when it comes to calling someone nuts, or being sarcastic towards them. I'm not being overly sensitive, just think we should all respect the opinions of others even if we don't agree. So why don't we all move on to another thread before someone lets it get more out of hand than it already has.

• Like 1

In my old age I've come to believe in a few things most others don't. And though I may be classified as a "nut" by some of the many, I would never call the many "nuts" because they don't agree with me, without some irrefutable proof. As Mr. Spock would say, that's not logical.

Ill stand by all that I have said.

Being sarcastic or not.

Without a doubt the kid made a HUGE mistake. And since its not 1959 or 61(whatever) everyone has a camera or video for the world to see and judge.

His high school coach has years of education and coaching experience. He has handled far far far more kids and situations( positive & negative) then most of you ever had.

I'm also sure to procure this cherry job he went through a grueling application and interview process . I even would bet that he talks often about character, morals, and doing the right thing to his players and staff. But even with doing all this,in the heat of a game players and coaches scre w up. It happens all the time. In this particular case the player scre wed up ROYALLY. Then( because of the day in age which we now live) the hudl video comes into play and EVERYONE gets to see it & spew their self righteous & PERFECT upbringing to the situation. Even though logic suggests that the Coach & AD should handle the situation we all get to read what MUST be done in Celina.

The verdict for this kid is handed down from the internet coaching staff of Smoaky.com

What a joke.

I stand by everything I have said

• Like 2

Being sarcastic or not.

Without a doubt the kid made a HUGE mistake. And since its not 1959 or 61(whatever) everyone has a camera or video for the world to see and judge.

His high school coach has years of education and coaching experience. He has handled far far far more kids and situations( positive & negative) then most of you ever had.

I'm also sure to procure this cherry job he went through a grueling application and interview process . I even would bet that he talks often about character, morals, and doing the right thing to his players and staff. But even with doing all this,in the heat of a game players and coaches scre w up. It happens all the time. In this particular case the player scre wed up ROYALLY. Then( because of the day in age which we now live) the hudl video comes into play and EVERYONE gets to see it & spew their self righteous & PERFECT upbringing to the situation. Even though logic suggests that the Coach & AD should handle the situation we all get to read what MUST be done in Celina.

The verdict for this kid is handed down from the internet coaching staff of Smoaky.com

What a joke.

Well, I kinda figured this is what you would come back with. So now those that espouse a harsher punishment than some others might, (which both parties have the right to believe) we're no longer simply self righteous folks with a perfect upbringing, (which I never said I had a "perfect" upbringing, but one I'll be eternally thankful for), we also lack education, probably not even smart enough to get a voter registration card and exercise our right to vote, and we're nuts, and internet armchair coaches,,, but now we are jokes as well? You're amusing to say the least.

When someone says something like "If it were me he would miss two or three games,, or possibly the whole rest of the season", "IF",,,, it were me. They are not saying this "must be done", in Celina. That is thankfully not my job. It is just my opinion, that it's what I would do "if" I were his coach,, that's all,, and that the kid did enough to warrant that discipline if that is what their coach decides to do. Since when does anyone not have the right to think that? Are you advocating that we do away with the 1st ammendment?

You have your opinions,,, all of 'em, and I even defend your right to have them,,, and everyone else does as well. That, does not suggest that you blatantly "spew" your personal opinions about someone else's righteousness, upbringing, education, or anything else. You don't know me from Adam, and probably don't know anyone else on here that disagrees with you, and yet you feel free to say the things you did about them/us. Would that not be considered as simply driving on a two way street but not wanting to see any cars coming from the opposite direction?

Being sarcastic or not.

What a joke.

You don't really get forums do you? Forums are basically a bunch of normal joe blowhards giving their opinion of the situation. I haven't seen anyone deviate from that... even your blow hard opinion follows that... bypass our filter so everyone can read your cussing again and we won't be reading your blowhard opinions anymore either...
  • Like 1

TOTALLY disagree.

All I ever said was let the coach handle the situation. He is far far better equipped to do it.

The lynch mob of ADULTS here want to do everything to a KID from a lawsuit to (prison / juevee detention) maybe a civil suit ( whatever bringing the law into play here means) to kicking the kid off the team.

Let the coach, school or community handle the situation