John Tyler (9-1) vs Lufkin (7-3)

cujoforlife

John Tyler and Lufkin will meet in the first time in the playoffs in very long time. JT is coming off good win over their crosstown rival Robert E Lee 49-28. Now JT has to working towards their three goal of winning a state championship. First thing first getting pass the Lufkin Panthers.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

John Tyler and Lufkin will meet in the first time in the playoffs in very long time. JT is coming off good win over their crosstown rival Robert E Lee 49-28. Now JT has to working towards their three goal of winning a state championship. First thing first getting pass the Lufkin Panthers.

Thoughts?

On paper and with the name of the programs, it's a must see. JT wins

I'm sorry in .6a it does.... Katy 3200, etc... depth

no one said JT was going to win state, he just said the playoffs is the start of their GOAL to win state.

And Cedar Hill has won state a couple times recently (2013 and 2014) with around 2300 kids. Cibolo Steele won state in 2010 with around 2100 kids. JT has nearly 2300 kids, so its possible to win with less numbers.

Larger numbers don't always mean more depth or more players. Look at Longview, they have tons of kids in the program and its one of the smallest 6a schools. Aledo is middle of the road in terms of population in 5a, but they have won at both Div.1 and Div.2. It takes more than numbers to win. You got to have great coaching and talent (and sometimes a little luck). Styles make matchups. Its all about the brackets and matchups.

Its all about the brackets and matchups.

Yep. And it's no doubt, that despite getting the top seed, John Tyler has a much tougher side of the bracket.

Region II is so wide open, it's anyone's for the taking.

But John Tyler's road to state..

R2: Dallas Jesuit

R3: Klein Collins OR Round Rock Cedar Ridge (what a game that'll be in Area)

R4: Longview OR Stratford OR Spring Westfield

R5: DeSoto/Southlake Carroll/Cedar Hill/a load of good other teams

R6: Whoever comes out over there, probably Steele.

If they even get to State, it'll be a crazy good accomplishment.

Yep. And it's no doubt, that despite getting the top seed, John Tyler has a much tougher side of the bracket.

Region II is so wide open, it's anyone's for the taking.

But John Tyler's road to state..

R2: Dallas Jesuit

R3: Klein Collins OR Round Rock Cedar Ridge (what a game that'll be in Area)

R4: Longview OR Stratford OR Spring Westfield

R5: DeSoto/Southlake Carroll/Cedar Hill/a load of good other teams

R6: Whoever comes out over there, probably Steele.

If they even get to State, it'll be a crazy good accomplishment.

all this means nothing now. You can't pencil none of these teams in because they all could lose. Ain't no guarantee JT wins this Fri, because you know the history of JT and Luf. And LV is going to play West Brook in Beaumont. Just from past experience, playing a team at their home field in the playoffs is very tough. And your playing a team that beat one of the teams you lost to. Now I know styles make matchups, and I doubt you give up 70, but West Brook is very capable of beating LV in Beaumont. BUT I think LV is the favorite.

Im not predicting anything, just one game at a time. Good luck to both JT and LV this week.

all this means nothing now. You can't pencil none of these teams in because they all could lose. Ain't no guarantee JT wins this Fri, because you know the history of JT and Luf. And LV is going to play West Brook in Beaumont. Just from past experience, playing a team at their home field in the playoffs is very tough. And your playing a team that beat one of the teams you lost to. Now I know styles make matchups, and I doubt you give up 70, but West Brook is very capable of beating LV in Beaumont. BUT I think LV is the favorite.

Im not predicting anything, just one game at a time. Good luck to both JT and LV this week.

Jesuit is not losing to Naaman Forest.

Cedar Ridge is not losing to Austin Anderson.

Klein Collins is not losing to Spring DeKaney.

All three of those teams are absolutely horrendous. And one of KC/CR will be in the third round, as they'll be facing one another in round 2.

So yes, you can easily pencil some teams into those spots.

Longview could very easily lose this coming Friday. I don't think it's going to happen, but our loss to Lufkin and their win over Lufkin will mean absolutely nothing to the game. That game back in August was the first game for over 55 of our players and we come an extremely, extremely long way since then. But none of that was the point of my post.

My post wasn't to say anything other than John Tyler's path to even the Region II Finals is definitely tougher than Longview's. And John Tyler's overall path to even the State Championship game is ridiculously tough.

Jesuit is not losing to Naaman Forest.

Cedar Ridge is not losing to Austin Anderson.

Klein Collins is not losing to Spring DeKaney.

All three of those teams are absolutely horrendous. And one of KC/CR will be in the third round, as they'll be facing one another in round 2.

So yes, you can easily pencil some teams into those spots.

Longview could very easily lose this coming Friday. I don't think it's going to happen, but our loss to Lufkin and their win over Lufkin will mean absolutely nothing to the game. That game back in August was the first game for over 55 of our players and we come an extremely, extremely long way since then. But none of that was the point of my post.

My post wasn't to say anything other than John Tyler's path to even the Region II Finals is definitely tougher than Longview's. And John Tyler's overall path to even the State Championship game is ridiculously tough.

IMO Lufkin will be tougher than jesuit who I think will beat forest, so I believe who wins out of us will most likely beat Jesuit cause they not really all that to me atleast on paper and schedule wise. Klein Collins will kill cedar ridge, cedar ridge is probably one the most overrated teams in the state along with desoto. So I can see JT vs Klein Collins in a third round game.

Should be a great game.

Was shocked to see JT struggle with Lee as long as they did last night. BUT..... rivalry. I get it.

LP is so helter skelter the last couple of years. Hard to believe LP has been struggling in the early rounds like they have the last few years.....tough draws every time though. Gotta be frustrating.

If LP was in the JT/Longview district I see them making a nice playoff run....but running into Longview and JT in the first round is just killer.

Hard to pick against JT at home..... and the Lions appear to be rolling offensively.

And as all of TxHSF knows.... no one plays defense anymore.

It's a toss up....but leaning JT.

Good luck to both!

• Like 1

LP is so helter skelter the last couple of years. Hard to believe LP has been struggling in the early rounds like they have the last few years.....tough draws every time though. Gotta be frustrating.

The last few years....has turned into a 3-7 record in the first round since 2006. 1-6 first round record since 2009.

JT should be the favorites this week, like many have said. I haven't seen them since the Heath game, so not sure how good they are now. I just know they are playing well and blowing out teams. Lv is a very good team and they went to Lobo for a huge district game and won by two scores. I know all about Smith. He gave me heartburn last year watching him. Then, you have Miller and several other talented players for JT that we have to deal with this week. I feel sick just thinking about watching them against our defense. It won't be easy for the Cujo though. The changes we've made with the scheme have improved things on that side and the Pack offense should be healthy for the first time since like week 5. So, I'm hoping it will be a great game. Just not confident in picking us.

what's the lp Def like this year

If you're asking a serious question lol, they were horrible against 3 of the top four offenses that they played this season. They've made some improvements from the WB game though. They are still missing their leader Savon, but I like the scheme change and Davis at safety now. Regardless of who we're playing, it's clear the tackling has improved since that game. Does that mean they will hold JT to a similar amount of points? Heck no. The offense and talent level is too good and much better than Montgomery and the Conroe schools. I'm expecting a shootout, but I don't think the defense will be as bad as they were against the Woodz and WB.