6A D2 R2 Bi-District: Longview at Beaumont West Brook

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (8-2) vs Beaumont West Brook Bruins (9-1)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Beaumont West Brook in a close one
    • Beaumont West Brook in a blow out

longview2.pngbeaumontwestbrook.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (8-2) AT BEAUMONT WEST BROOK BRUINS (9-1)

DATE: Friday, November 11th, 2016
TIME: 7:30 PM
LOCATION: Dr. CA Thomas Multipurpose Center in Beaumont, Texas
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: Sunny 106.5 FM KOOI
BEAUMONT WEST BROOK BROADCAST: None

longview.pngSERIES TIED 0-0-0 beaumontwestbrook.png
The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at Beaumont West Brook.
The two schools have never met at Dr. CA Thomas Multipurpose Center.
The two schools have never played on November 11th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
First Meeting
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
With the closing of the 107th regular season of football at Longview High, the Lobos turn to their 42nd appearance on the UIL State Playoffs as they travel to Beaumont to take on the West Brook Bruins. The trip to Beaumont, despite being co-champions of District 11-6A, will be Longview’s longest ever trip for a first round playoff game. Previously, the longest was two trips to Waco (1983 at Floyd Casey Stadium against Killeen Ellison and 2003 at Waco ISD Stadium against South Garland). The trip to Beaumont also marks the longest road trip for the Lobos (a little over 200 miles) since Longview traveled to Midland in 2000 to take on Cedric Benson and the two-time defending State Champion Midland Lee Rebels. The Lobos will enter the playoffs for the 13th consecutive season, all under head coach John King. The last time Longview missed the post season came in that 2000 season, when the Lobos finished 3-7 overall. Last season, Longview reached the State Quarterfinals for the first time since their Semi-Final appearance in 2010. The Lobos fell 56-53 to eventual State Finalist Mansfield Lake Ridge as the Lobos missed a game-tying field goal in the final 15 seconds of the contest. Despite it being the first time the Lobos reached round 4 in five seasons, Longview continued improved their streak of bi-district victories to 10. John King is 11-1 all-time in Bi-District games as head coach of Longview. The Lobos have also advanced to at least the third round of the UIL playoffs in 9 of the 12 seasons under coach King (failing to do so in 2005, 2006 & 2014). Standing in their way of an 11th straight bi-district victory is an extremely unfamiliar opponent in the West Brook Bruins of Beaumont. The Lobos have faced just one other opponent from Beaumont ISD in their history, the Beaumont Royal Purples. The Lobos and Purples met all the way back in 1940 and in 1942, with Longview’s lone trip to Beaumont being in the 1942 season. Longview won both games against the Royal Purples (7-0 and 20-7). Beaumont West Brook comes into the contest under 5th year head coach Kevin Flanigan, who’s currently experiencing his best season as head coach of the Bruins. Entering the 2016 season, Flanigan’s record stood at 21-21 overall, with four straight seasons of no more than 6 and no less than 4 losses. The last time West Brook themselves finished an entire season with 9 wins came in 2009, when the Bruins advanced to the 5A Division I Regional round. West Brook will be looking to win a 10th game of the season for the first time since 2007, when they finished 10-2. The Bruins will be looking to win their first playoff game since a bi-district victory over Pasadena Dobie in 2010. West Brook has lost four consecutive playoff games since the win. Only one of the four losses has been within 20 points. The winner will move onto the Area Round to take on Lake Highlands or Lakeview Centennial in the Area Round.

CLASS 6A DIVISION II REGION II BI-DISTRICT GAMES:
11/11 - W9 Dallas Jesuit (7-3) vs R10 Garland Naaman Forest (5-5) - Postell Stadium
11/11 - W11 John Tyler (9-1) vs R12 Lufkin (7-3) - Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium
11/?? - W13 Round Rock Cedar Ridge (10-0) vs R14  Austin Anderson (3-7) - Dragon Stadium
11/?? - W15 Klein Collins (9-1) vs R16 Spring DeKaney (5-5) - Klein Memorial Stadium
11/11 - R9 Lake Highlands (3-7) vs W10 Garland Lakeview Centennial (7-3) - Homer B Johnson or Williams Stadium
11/11 - R11 Longview (8-2) vs W12 Beaumont West Brook (9-1) - Dr. CA Thomas Multipurpose Center
11/?? - R13 Round Rock Stony Point (3-7) vs W14 San Marcos (6-4) - Toyota Rattler Stadium
11/11 - R15 Spring Branch Houston Stratford (7-3) vs W16 Spring Westfield (7-3) - Leonard George Stadium

WHAT’S AT STAKE:
The winner of today’s game will take on the winner of Lake Highlands vs Garland Lakeview Centennial in the Class 6A Division II Region II Area Round match up.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 8-2 (5-1)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (139-33 in 13 seasons) (Playoffs: 31-12)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 694-339-52 (Playoffs: 59-39-1)
Playoff Appearances: 42
Last Playoff Appearance: 2015, 5A Division I State Quarterfinal
State Championships (1): 1937 (1A)
State Championship Appearances (4): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - at Lufkin - Loss 35-24
09.02 - at Marshall - Win 56-7
09.09 - vs South Oak Cliff - Win 62-14
09.16 - vs Mesquite Horn - Win 47-37
09.23 - at Tyler Lee - Win 56-35
09.30 - vs Rockwall - Win 36-29
10.14 - at North Mesquite - Win 49-35
10.21 - vs John Tyler - Loss 38-24
10.28 - at Rockwall Heath - Win 35-21
11.04 - vs Mesquite - Win 62-7
11.11 - Bi-District: Beaumont West Brook

BEAUMONT WEST BROOK BRUINS
Record: 9-1 (5-1)
District: 12-6A
Coach: Kevin Flanigan (30-22 in 5 seasons) (Playoffs: 0-2)
First Year of Football: 1982
All-Time Record: 235-150-2 (Playoffs: 24-20-1)
Playoff Appearances: 22
Last Playoff Appearance: 2015, 6A Division I Bi-District Round
State Championships (1): 1982 (5A)
State Championship Appearances (1): 1982 (5A)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - v. Beaumont Central - Win 33-21
09.02 - v. Beaumont Ozen - Win 41-8
09.08 - vs Houston C.E. King - Win 48-9
09.16 - at St. Thomas Catholic - Win 28-20
09.23 - vs Montgomery - Win 45-24
09.30 - at Woodlands College Park -Win 49-28
10.07 - vs The Woodlands - Loss 72-7
10.14 - at Lufkin - Win 70-63
10.27 - vs Conroe Oak Ridge - Win 21-14 (OT)
11.04 - at Conroe - Win 48-19
11.11 - Bi-District: Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: November 11th
In 1911, Longview fell 16-0 to Marshall in the 4th overall meeting between the two programs.
In 1921, Troup knocked off Longview 14-9.
In 1925, Longview and Henderson battled to a 3-3 draw.
In 1927, Longview recored it’s 7th shutout in 8 games in a 45-0 victory over Henderson.
In 1929, James scored two touchdowns in a 25-0 victory for the Lobos over Henderson.
In 1930, Henderson knocked off the Loboes 14-0 in Longview.
In 1931, Paul Painter scored the lone touchdown on a 3 yard run in a 7-0 victory for Longview over Henderson.
In 1932, Tyler knocked off Longview 20-6 in Tyler.
In 1933, the Loboes and Lions battled to a 0-0 tie.
In 1935, Tyler knocked off Longview 19-7 at Fair Park.
In 1936, Jack Skipper scored two touchdowns before Henry Matthews added the final touchs to a 19-6 victory over Tyler in the old Rose Stadium.
In 1937, Dick Miller ran in four touchdowns to clinch the 9-1A district championship at Lobo Stadium in a 27-7 victory over Tyler.
In 1938, Tyler finally got it’s revenge in a 20-0 victory over the Lobos at Rose Stadium.
In 1940, Longview knocked off Tyler 14-7 at Rose Stadium.
In 1941, Wayne Burnett tailed three scores for the Lions as Longview fell to Tyler, 18-13, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1942, after Tyler had tied the game heading into the 4th quarter at 7 all, John Dunaway took control with two touchdowns in the final frame to send Longview to a 21-7 victory over the Lions.
In 1943, Longview fell 2-0 to Tyler at Lobo Stadium in the lone annual Armistice Day clash.
In 1949, Jack McMurry scored twice for Marshall in a 19-0 Maverick victory over Longview.
In 1955, Longview rolled up Nacogdoches 40-7 at Lobo Stadium.
In 1960, three scores in the first half helped John Tyler take control in a 24-6 victory over the Lobos at Rose Stadium.
In 1966, David Majors scored two touchdowns before John Tyler took the lead late in the 4th, only to see Rodney Hill tie the game back up at 21 all as Longview and John Tyler battled to a 21-21 tie.
In 1977, Longview saw their 17 game district winning streak come to an end as Lufkin knocked off Longview at Abe Martin Stadium 28-20. The Panthers jumped out to a 14-0 lead early in the 2nd quarter and Longview could never recover.

lobohowl2_zpscfd7d4bc.gif

Any Lufkin fan, or any fan really that's seen them, care to tell us anything about West Brook?

The game against the Pack seems to be a one time thing for their offense, just as the game against the Woodlands seems to be a one time thing for their defense. Interesting match up for the Lobos for sure.

I'll admit.... other than WB beating Lufkin, I don't know much about them. But based on what I saw last night at Lobo Stadium......

I don't see how Longview losses this game.

Lobos ran the ball at will..... the passing game is clicking BIG TIME...... and no matter how poor Lobo fans say their defense is (was outstanding last night)... their offense looks like it can keep up with anyone.

The long drive IMHO is the only disadvantage I see for Longview..... but the Lobos aren't new to that.

I'd be shocked if Longview loses this game. They look like a pretty complete team....at least they did Vs. Mesquite last night.

SC caliber? No. But 3-4 rounds deep worthy for sure.

JMHO.

Good luck Lobos!

• Like 1

Ugh, I've tried to post something a few times, but I guess this website is still messing up. Not sure if I can help with anything though, We both know our defense made them look better than they really are, but I'll try.

Other than that bubble screen pass/trick play, WB mostly ​ran the same six or seven plays on offense against us(they did change it up in the red zone at times though). Like Jbabi told me a few weeks ago before we played them, it was mostly speed sweeps with #6(very fast kid), the read option, bubble screens and also slant passes with #21. They would also throw it at times to their tall tight end in the middle of the field, but he just didn't catch it. That kid is tall though and could be tough to deal with, if they use him more. Not sure what's going with their offense now, but their sophomore Qb #9 was on the money majority of the night with his throws against us, some of his deep passes was off though. The kid wasn't on the level of Bryson for JT, but if you aren't disciplined on defense against the zone read and QB draws, he can make you look foolish. It was mostly him and #6 that was hurting us in the running game. They also have a few big kids on the O-line. I think one that's 6'5 and 330 that's going to Oklahoma St. I'm thinking it was their left tackle. They dominated our d-line, but I'm not sure how they will play against a faster Lv defense. Not expecting those sweeps and screens to work against yall.

As for the defense, they had some small kids at corner and also on the d-line. I think they ran a 3-4, but not sure. Their corners weren't really good at defending the short routes, but they had the speed to stay with our guys when Kordell threw it deep majority of the time. The team did tackle well at times too, but not for all four quarters. They weren't that disciplined. I don't think they will be able to handle that Lv running game at all later on in the game. Honestly, don't think they've seen a running game like Lv down there with White and Polk, but we'll see. I think it's going to be a good game, with Lv winning a close one. I just think yall may start of slow because of the travel. Just not sure they can stop y'all later on. Their kids were tired in the 4th against us and we're not as physical in the trenches as y'all. If your defense isn't very discipline though and they are able to get a few turnovers on the other side, Wb does have the athletes to make this a great game and win. They are also 9-1 this season, you have to respect that. Also, with that home side most likely being packed on that Friday night for them, the kids may feed off of that energy too. It could be a tougher game and environment than I'm expecting for LV. We'll see..

• Like 1

I thought we had good game set up before last night.

But they beat #9 Highland Park last night.

Not so sure now. Gonna find out if the last 6 weeks of blowout wins over losing teams is all smoke and mirrors or if we have actually improved.

Good luck Lobos....I'll be keeping up while we are in McKinney Friday night!

• Like 1

Ugh, I've tried to post something a few times, but I guess this website is still messing up. Not sure if I can help with anything though, We both know our defense made them look better than they really are, but I'll try.

Other than that bubble screen pass/trick play, WB mostly ​ran the same six or seven plays on offense against us(they did change it up in the red zone at times though). Like Jbabi told me a few weeks ago before we played them, it was mostly speed sweeps with #6(very fast kid), the read option, bubble screens and also slant passes with #21. They would also throw it at times to their tall tight end in the middle of the field, but he just didn't catch it. That kid is tall though and could be tough to deal with, if they use him more. Not sure what's going with their offense now, but their sophomore Qb #9 was on the money majority of the night with his throws against us, some of his deep passes was off though. The kid wasn't on the level of Bryson for JT, but if you aren't disciplined on defense against the zone read and QB draws, he can make you look foolish. It was mostly him and #6 that was hurting us in the running game. They also have a few big kids on the O-line. I think one that's 6'5 and 330 that's going to Oklahoma St. I'm thinking it was their left tackle. They dominated our d-line, but I'm not sure how they will play against a faster Lv defense. Not expecting those sweeps and screens to work against yall.

As for the defense, they had some small kids at corner and also on the d-line. I think they ran a 3-4, but not sure. Their corners weren't really good at defending the short routes, but they had the speed to stay with our guys when Kordell threw it deep majority of the time. The team did tackle well at times too, but not for all four quarters. They weren't that disciplined. I don't think they will be able to handle that Lv running game at all. Honestly, don't think they've seen a running game like Lv down there with White and Polk, but we'll see. I think it's going to be a good game, with Lv winning a close one. I just think yall may start of slow because of the travel. Just not sure they can stop yall. If your defense isn't very discipline though and they are able to get a few turnovers on the other side, Wb does have the athletes to make this a great game and win. They are also 9-1 this season, you have to respect that. Also, with that home side most likely being packed on that Friday night for them, the kids may feed off of that energy too. It could be a tougher game and environment than I'm expecting for LV. We'll see..

Thanks for the info 007.

I'm looking forward to this one tbh. Mostly cause it's someone new. I'm interested to see their crowd no doubt.

I'm expecting only die hards to show up for Longview, so at the very least we'll be loud.

I just remembered something from our game about the 4th Quarter. Their kids got tired on defense and was going down against us and we're not as physical as Lv is in the trenches. It may not be as close as I'm thinking, even with the long travel..

Did the new 6A rule of top seeds hosting a playoff game also include mandatory Friday night games? This game time coupled with being on a Friday is very unfair to the visiting team's fans when this kind of distance is involved. Saturday afternoon would have been smart, and Saturday night would had been next best option. Kind of hard on fans that cant get off on Friday afternoon to make the game! Thankfully, i am able to take vacation Friday, but will have to anti up for hotel or take charter bus.

Lobos will have the full size of the oline next Friday.... 3 players 6'3 330-350

Other 2 270-300

And we should be relatively healthy across the boards, thankfully.

Did the new 6A rule of top seeds hosting a playoff game also include mandatory Friday night games? This game time coupled with being on a Friday is very unfair to the visiting team's fans when this kind of distance is involved. Saturday afternoon would have been smart, and Saturday night would had been next best option. Kind of hard on fans that cant get off on Friday afternoon to make the game! Thankfully, i am able to take vacation Friday, but will have to anti up for hotel or take charter bus.

It did not. But I don't think we have much say in the date tbh. I'd have to go through the rule book but I'm pretty sure WB gets to set the date.

Last time Longview went on the road for a first round game was 2004 vs North Garland (played at Williams Stadium in Garland despite winning district). Won 49-27 that day.

Lobos are 2-4 all-time when traveling to an opponent's home stadium in a first round game (last loss 1942 at Lufkin).

Lobos...if you are planing to travel to the game, allow yourselves plenty of time to get 'through' Beaumont, as there is much road construction on U.S.69 as you come into town...the stadium is easy to get to, but Beaumont at rush hour (5-7p) can get a touch congested...it doesn't really matter which route you take going down, (either 149/59/96 through Carthage/Center/San Augustine or 259/59/69 through and Nac/Lufkin/Woodville) as they will be full of traffic on a Friday and 'speed traps' exist on both routes..As of this time, chance of rain is set at 50%, but we all know that is subject to change.. Be safe everybody and GO LOBOS!!

Its meant to be unfair. If you are the home team, you want to give yourself the best advantage possible. If you allow the visiting team to bring a big crowd, then you lose the crowd size and crowd noise advantage the home team usually has. Yes you lose some gate money, but winning is the most important goal. West Brook is doing the right thing by playing this game on Fri because it gives them the best home field advantage. I bet if it was the other way around, LV would do the exact same thing.

Heck, other states like Louisiana and Nevada, don't do neutral sites at all, except for championship games. And the road trips in those states are 4-6 hours too. And most are on Fri, except in the major metro areas, where there aren't enough fields for all Fri games. Imagine a Shreveport team playing a New Orleans team on a Fri night in New Orleans (5 to 6 hr drive). Happens all the time, and some time it can happen back to back weeks.

This side of the bracket will be a cakewalk for Longview I expect y'all to be in the 4th round in potential rematch against us or Collins, more so us. Only team I believe that can beat y'all is Spring Westfield and that's a maybe..

This is probably our toughest game....but we've struggled against Houston teams in the past so even if we get past this round (not looking past LC or LH, but there's no reason we should lose to either of those if we face them) I'm still not going to feel comfortable.

Westfield is a solid club, probably not as good as they've been in the past but they're definitely a good team. Stratford seems very up and down this season so who knows what team we'd get if we ended up facing them.

Seems like this bi District game much harder for Longview. I guess it's the unknown factor. Playing a true road game in mosquito country will be tough.

Don't know if it's any tougher than our last two bi-district games against our biggest rival in Lufkin. The travel definitely is gonna be tougher obviously.

• Like 1