Bi-District: Diboll (2-8) vs. Gilmer (9-1)

blackflag79

in Tatum, 7 PM Thursday  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How does this one go?

• Gilmer wins in a blowout
    • Gilmer wins a close one
    • Diboll wins in a blowout
    • Diboll wins a close one

Geronimo Navarro also a team to watch to match up with WOS coming out of the other side. but I just want the BUCKEYES to handle their business

This may be Navarro's year......but as of yet they can't seem to get over the Cuero hump. The Gobblers have owned the Panthers in previous meetings......even when the records showed Navarro should win.

From Diboll's record, it don't sound like much of a game tonight. But you never know,,, our Buckeyes could make it a pretty interesting game for Diboll. We love to self inflict, and get ourselves in precarious positions every game. I really do wonder though just how good we might be if we decided to stay focused, for a whole game. That hasn't happened honestly since the first game on offense against LE,,, and even then, our defense hadn't anywhere near jelled, and it was a tight ball game. We don't seem to make things easy for ourselves. I suppose our best trait is the "never giving up" part. The problem is, that style of play,,, well it probably just won't cut it against teams like Cuero, WOS, and the like. And I'd hate to keep playing that way and then having to beat Gladewater, Pittsburg, or Pleasant Grove a second time. When you live in the jungle, sooner or later, that machete is gonna get dull,, and we have been hacking away for a long time now. if we expect to get much deeper,, we're going to have to start putting it together. Talent,,,, yep, we got that. Discipline? Not so much.

I am very proud of what this Buckeyes team has accomplished this seasosn. A nine and one record is something to be proud of. And these kids have worked extremely hard to get there, and they have done what they had to do to get there. And I'm not intending to bash or bad mouth our team, or even be hard on them. I think they know what they have to do, and I am sure they are not happy with some of their work themselves. Not at all.

I love this team. But I'm just being a realist. We need to get focused, putting ourselves in "1st and 15 or 20" positions on first down with penalties needs to stop, we need to stop putting the ball on the turf, we should take no plays off,, we should come out on fire,, not wait til the going gets tuff to stir the intensity. That is a tall challenge at this stage of the season my friends, when you've not been doing those things for 48 minutes per game all year. We've gotten by with it so far,,, but I just don't believe it will continue against the caliber of teams we'll face down the road, should we get there. It's going to have to be an individual mindset,,, bunched together as one unit, everybody playing that way, every single play of the game. It's not perfection I hope to see, it's simply reaching our individual, and team wise best efforts, and potential. It ain't a talent thing, it seems to me more of a "between the ears" thing. Everyone may not agree with me on this. I might get a tongue lashing from some of our own fans. But it's what I see. Hopefully this bunch of hard nosed, never say die kids, will prove me right by fixing their little bug-a-boos. And hopefully this will be the week we'll finally be a bit more well oiled. It's time to start the run,,, we can't wait much longer. Otherwise, it's an early exit. Hopefully, we had a good short week of practice.

Exactly what I've been saying all along, AOB. This Buckeye team definitely has the "potential" to make a deep run, and maybe even a title IF they do what you've said they need to do. It's frustrating to watch them sometimes because of the continuous self-inflicted mistakes that take them out of their "rhythm" on offense, and their lack of intensity sometimes on defense. These are certainly things that can be fixed, or at least minimized. If they ever put together a complete game on a consistent basis, something they have yet to do this season, I think they definitely have a legit shot at a title. They don't have to be perfect, just step it up in execution and intensity.

Fix the little things and the big picture will take care of itself. It starts tonight!