Gladewater (8-2) vs Celina (9-2)

Golfingnut

Gladewater vs Celina  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Actually, the Celina players were hollering set, not shift. If they had been saying shift, they would have shifted, which they didn't.

Needless to say that is all part of the game that you have to deal with. Another issue was the wind. Losing the toss ended up being a major factor early. The 1st quarter was a disaster! We aren't necessarily the kind of team that starts off running the ball at will. We usually pound and pound so that by the 2nd half the DLs are wore down. We didn't get a chance to pound and pound Friday night. Celina offense had a short field every possession in the 1st quarter. Even one started at our 11 yrd line. That was the hard hit on Clint when he did a great job of returning the kick. Add to that someone getting a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the play and kind of hard to keep any team out of the endzone when they start on the 11. By the time we got the wind we were down 27.

Gladewater did a great job to come back and go ahead with 2:12 left in game, but we just couldn't stop them. Coach tried to call a TO before that 4th down play but refs didn't give it to him so we got caught with 12 men on the field although the Celina QB scored anyway. I feel bad for the boys. They worked hard this year and I still say this is one of the best Bear teams we have had. Big thank you to all the seniors who played in their last game. Cal, Austin, Darnell, Daniel Robertson, Bryston, Adam, Terry, Johnny, Daniel Ruiz, Jerome, Clint, Sam, Michael, Trent, Justice, Joden, & Isaiah T. We will miss you! Y'all never gave up and fought for every yard. We have some great talent coming back and moving up. Someone mention the FB position. Ray or Rashaud played there this year and did a good job when they were in there. Who knows, maybe we can put Michael Sanchez there. He sure would run over people!

Also, thanks to the coaches for all they do to get the boys ready for each game. Berry, Chadwick, Lindsey, Clower, Armstrong, Bonds, Clark, Johnston, Rivera, Tatum, Hodges, Thomas, & Yount.

• Like 2

Actually, the Celina players were hollering set, not shift. If they had been saying shift, they would have shifted, which they didn't.

Needless to say that is all part of the game that you have to deal with. Another issue was the wind. Losing the toss ended up being a major factor early. The 1st quarter was a disaster! We aren't necessarily the kind of team that starts off running the ball at will. We usually pound and pound so that by the 2nd half the DLs are wore down. We didn't get a chance to pound and pound Friday night. Celina offense had a short field every possession in the 1st quarter. Even one started at our 11 yrd line. That was the hard hit on Clint when he did a great job of returning the kick. Add to that someone getting a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the play and kind of hard to keep any team out of the endzone when they start on the 11. By the time we got the wind we were down 27.

Gladewater did a great job to come back and go ahead with 2:12 left in game, but we just couldn't stop them. Coach tried to call a TO before that 4th down play but refs didn't give it to him so we got caught with 12 men on the field although the Celina QB scored anyway. I feel bad for the boys. They worked hard this year and I still say this is one of the best Bear teams we have had. Big thank you to all the seniors who played in their last game. Cal, Austin, Darnell, Daniel Robertson, Bryston, Adam, Terry, Johnny, Daniel Ruiz, Jerome, Clint, Sam, Michael, Trent, Justice, Joden, & Isaiah T. We will miss you! Y'all never gave up and fought for every yard. We have some great talent coming back and moving up. Someone mention the FB position. Ray or Rashaud played there this year and did a good job when they were in there. Who knows, maybe we can put Michael Sanchez there. He sure would run over people!

Also, thanks to the coaches for all they do to get the boys ready for each game. Berry, Chadwick, Lindsey, Clower, Armstrong, Bonds, Clark, Johnston, Rivera, Tatum, Hodges, Thomas, & Yount.

I'd like to make a comment about this year's Bears team.

I'll always remember what a class act every single player was after we played them this year. Our kicker missed a game-winning FG, and Gladewater's players saw how upset he was after the game. All of them were encouraging him, telling him to keep his head up. (Keep in mind, this is immediately following a nail-biting win for Gladewater.) Our kicker went on to have a pretty good season...

Really classy group of kids, who are definitely good enough to still be playing this week. Keep it up, Gladewater.

• Like 3

I'd like to make a comment about this year's Bears team.

I'll always remember what a class act every single player was after we played them this year. Our kicker missed a game-winning FG, and Gladewater's players saw how upset he was after the game. All of them were encouraging him, telling him to keep his head up. (Keep in mind, this is immediately following a nail-biting win for Gladewater.) Our kicker went on to have a pretty good season...

Really classy group of kids, who are definitely good enough to still be playing this week. Keep it up, Gladewater.

Thanks JR88, that means a lot!!! I saw the same thing in many games this year. Even after our loss to Gilmer, I saw many of our players embracing the Buckeye players despite such a heartbreaking loss. I love seeing that kind of respect between teams. Even your post shows a great level of respect from fans that is missing in many games on any given football night. As I told someone else today, all kids can get caught up in the emotions during a game and maybe lose control with a late hit or say something that gets a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct, but you can tell a team that is trying to compete from those who just play dirty. You can tell a lot about a kid on how he handles a loss to a rival, a blowout loss devastation, a great emotional win and even how they confront their opponents, coaches and fans after a game. Thanks again for your kind words. This Bear team will always be one of my favorites!