2AD1 - East TX best chance vs Refugio?

Everide2016

I don't think anyone in this region will beat Refugio this year. Herring has a football factory set up there. Groveton loses their QB and I don't know about his replacement. SA has as many athletes as anyone in the state but rarely stays disciplined enough to play good defense consistently. Alto will always be in the mix; don't see how they can be left out of any "top programs" discussion. Haven't seen Carlisle. Centerville lines up and plays smash-mouth but they're vulnerable to speed and a good d-line/fast LBs. LL didn't have the speed they had last year and were short on size. It finally caught up to them. Small-school football (especially) runs in cycles. Sooner or later someone from Region 3 will come up with a couple of D1 athletes and enough complimentary players to win a title, but who knows who or when.

All this talk of a "football factory" at Refugio got me to doing a little research. I was thinking a program as feared and revered as these guys would have a half-dozen trophies from this century alone. Guess how many state titles they've won in this millennium? One. That's right. One less than Alto or Stratford, two less than Mart or Stamford, three less than Canadian. Now, they may very well hang a hundred on everyone they play from here on out. But I'm not seeing the Alabama of small-school Texas football here. Maybe the Bobcat bandwagonneers are looking at different criteria than me.
  • Like 1

All this talk of a "football factory" at Refugio got me to doing a little research. I was thinking a program as feared and revered as these guys would have a half-dozen trophies from this century alone. Guess how many state titles they've won in this millennium? One. That's right. One less than Alto or Stratford, two less than Mart or Stamford, three less than Canadian. Now, they may very well hang a hundred on everyone they play from here on out. But I'm not seeing the Alabama of small-school Texas football here. Maybe the Bobcat bandwagonneers are looking at different criteria than me.

Refugio has been beaten by all of the teams you have listed except Stamford and Stratford, so they must be doing something right if they continue to compete, coming from a weak region and all.

Refugio has been beaten by all of the teams you have listed except Stamford and Stratford, so they must be doing something right if they continue to compete, coming from a weak region and all.

All I'm saying is the idea that they can't be beaten is a little over the top. The road of football history is littered with teams that supposedly couldn't be beaten, but then they lost. This may very well be their year, but they are far from the dominant program so many say they are.
  • Like 1

No one is saying that Refugio can't be beaten but they have been in the Quarters for nine straight years and have been eliminated by either a state finalist or state champion in the last 7 seasons. Regardless of what you may think of them personally that is quite an accomplishment at the small school level with limited enrollments every year. Also regardless of what you think of region 4 no team currently in region 3 has gotten to the state final since Cayuga in 2008. Alto was the last current region 3 member in this classification to win a title when they went back to back in 06 and 07.

No one is saying that Refugio can't be beaten but they have been in the Quarters for nine straight years and have been eliminated by either a state finalist or state champion in the last 7 seasons. Regardless of what you may think of them personally that is quite an accomplishment at the small school level with limited enrollments every year. Also regardless of what you think of region 4 no team currently in region 3 has gotten to the state final since Cayuga in 2008. Alto was the last current region 3 member in this classification to win a title when they went back to back in 06 and 07.

Cayuga was in Region 3 in 2008 and 2009, and I believe they won the title in '09. But you are correct in that, since the divisions were split in 2010, no current Region 3 team has reached the final. Region 4 has had our number. Refugio, Mason, and Shiner have all fielded outstanding teams in recent years.

I bet ya we could give them a game. Refugio is famous for beating bad schools with really gaudy numbers. Always seem to choke and play dirty in the big games.

We'd give em a good game for sure.

The last 5 years they have been to 3 title games nobody said they are a dynasty but, they are in the hunt every year.

Product of a weak region?

Cayuga was in Region 3 in 2008 and 2009, and I believe they won the title in '09. But you are correct in that, since the divisions were split in 2010, no current Region 3 team has reached the final. Region 4 has had our number. Refugio, Mason, and Shiner have all fielded outstanding teams in recent years.

Because the only team in region 3 that knows how to slay another tiger right now resides in Division 2, 12 miles down the road.

It's not "all this talk about football factory." Only one or two people on here have used that term. Most of us on here would love to have a hometown team that could come close to their success.

Refugio is not on par with a number of other programs when it comes to titles, but certainly doing a lot with what they have. How many other teams in the state have won 91% of their games over the last 10 years, 2007-2016 to-date? How many other teams have played 144 games over the last 10 years? Very few. They've played a minimum of 13 games in each of those years. Most would gladly take the 132-12 record that Herring has compiled at Refugio along with one championship and two state runner-ups. Even the almighty Yoe has only won 104 games in that same 10 years.