2AD1 - East TX best chance vs Refugio?

Everide2016

By "football factory" I meant the system in place there that most small towns don't have. Most 2A towns don't have (or at least, I don't think they do) an organized pee-wee league where talent can be identified early or a HC/AD that coaches every team from 7th-varsity. As far as state championships go they've won 3 in 7 finals appearances since 1968. When I think of small-school powers, I think of Mart (9 SC appearances, 5 wins), and Celina (before they moved up) has 11 appearances and 8 championships (not all those appearances were at the lower level). Refugio is second in all-time wins in their class (670) behind Mart (714). In East Texas Groveton (6 trips, 3 wins) is 4th (630) and Alto (3 trips, 2 wins) is 11th (546). Canadian (3/3), Stamford (7/5), Shiner (4/2), Goldthwaite (5/4), Stratford (4/3) are others who have made multiple trips, and Albany has been there like 5 times and I think they've lost them all. Refugio may not be the absolute best historically but they're in the conversation for top programs all-time. This was quick and dirty, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't believe so Alto was good those years but didn't face the same great teams both years no Mart, Canadian, Refugio, Shiner, East Bernard, period. Re-classification was on their side.

They dominated their division. The schools you mentioned were all in the old 2A at the time. How is that any different from what you are calling dominance by Refugio now?

Was at the game. Prior to arriving at the game, my guess was that Centerville was going to be another one of those teams that thought they were SC material, just to get beat down by Refugio and finally realize they just came out of a weak region and that was the only reason they made it to a semi-final game (my default example being Waskom three years ago in the semi-final against Refugio).

Once at the game and watching C'ville in pregame warmups, I was impressed with their size and athleticism. They looked to me like a team that should have the ability to truly test Refugio. Their appearance was significantly more impressive than Shiner or Mason, having seen Refugio play both of those teams too.

C'ville took opening kickoff and that first possession, they were impressive. The tailback looked like he was on a mission and ready to rock Refugio's world. He had several really good runs on the first possession and they moved the ball relatively easy. I think they drove down to about the Refugio 40 and then had a turnover? Or punted? But, still I had it in my mind after that possession that we were in for a game.

Well, sadly that was pretty much where it ended. Refugio took control from that point on and it was evident to anyone that has watched much HS football that the end would never be in question. It's a weird thing because I still believe that C'ville did have the athletes to at least make a game of it, but something we just can't see was switched on by Refugio and C'ville was done. The second half was hard to watch as Refugio just got sloppy and undisciplined, getting probably 7-8 motion penalties on the offensive line and other various "stuff" that just made the second half not much fun to watch for a semi-final game.

If Refugio doesn't clean it up on the penalties in the SC game, they could be opening the door for Crawford and I have no doubt Crawford will gladly oblige and walk right through it.

Hoping for a great SC game between Crawford and Refugio.