Taking a Knee During

tdJesus

an injury:

Why has it become a "sign of respect"? It has nothing to do with respect or sportsmanship. It is a pee wee football thing that parents and players have moved on with into the higher ranks of football. Every time there is an injury now you see every player in the field and sideline drop. It looks stupid and could possibly lead to more injuries or cramps on those players. Instead, the teams should move to the numbers and stay out of the way. If a team doesn't, they are "disrespectful." Ignorant fans will yell and post to message boards about how team X doesn't take a knee out of respect. What a joke. Thoughts?

No one is crying about anything. And taking a knee, especially for a long time could lead to cramps, pulls, etc. Highly unlikely, true. The point is, it has nothing to do with respect. I brought it up because it was on the Friday night football app. Someone claimed Argyle and Pottsboro are classless because they "never take a knee," during injuries. That is an ignorant stance taken by pee wee dads who believe they are real coaches.

Guess I'm old school but nothing wrong with showing respect. I think they should take a knee. Most of the time the players are "hydrating" while on their knee anyways. I think they did this years before most towns had peewee ball too, so not sure that is the mentality behind it. The world is changing and not all of it for the better but in the end I won't lose much sleep over this particular subject.

• Like 4

Ummm, yeah - It EXACTLY has to do with respect. When did showing respect, or expecting others to, become "old-fashioned" or "classless"??? That's a different level of the mentality that the Constitution is outdated or standing and removing your headwear during the Star-Spangled Banner is no big deal. These young men are playing a game, and there is nothing wrong with showing respect to the fact that a fellow participant has risked his well-being and could possibly be seriously injured for the sake of the game. I'm honestly disappointed that any of my fellow Yoemen who might have been in Houston last December feel that it's not a big deal to respect that.

• Like 1

It has nothing to do with respect. As far as old school mentality goes, I never saw it done until about 5 years ago or so. Definitely wasn't done when I played.

Of course you should be respectful about an injury. The point is, forcing everyone on the field to take a knee due to an injury is asinine. It shows no respect to take a knee. That is what clapping after they get up is for. Standing in silence is respectful. Does everyone take a knee in basketball? How about baseball, volleyball, hockey, track? Hell, should we all take a knee after the 110 hurdles if someone fell? Next time someone trips and falls in the store while I'm there, I'll make sure everyone around me takes a knee so we can be respectful.

• Like 1

Perception is reality and this gesture is perceived as a sign of respect and concern over the well being of injured opponent. These are the type things that I pray are taught to my kids during their high school football years. I would rather they learn that and know it better than the 4-3 defense. It will take them further in life.

• Like 4

It has nothing to do with respect. As far as old school mentality goes, I never saw it done until about 5 years ago or so. Definitely wasn't done when I played.

Of course you should be respectful about an injury. The point is, forcing everyone on the field to take a knee due to an injury is asinine. It shows no respect to take a knee. That is what clapping after they get up is for. Standing in silence is respectful. Does everyone take a knee in basketball? How about baseball, volleyball, hockey, track? Hell, should we all take a knee after the 110 hurdles if someone fell? Next time someone trips and falls in the store while I'm there, I'll make sure everyone around me takes a knee so we can be respectful.

I played from '87-'90 season and we did it then.

We always went to the sidelines, got a drank and listen to coach gripe bout missed tackle or block or some such. Usually with our back to the injured player, think Tha was coach taking our mind off the injured.. Usually it was me he was addressing all the failures to. Like I took the snap or fumbled running into all those linebackers and safeties

I'm going to start shaking my head out of respect of stupid topics. I'm sure there are a lot more shaking theirs as well, respectfully so.

A knee? We got guys boycotting the national anthem...guys doing choreographed dance routines after a simple play...and guys wanna complain about taking a knee for a injured player? What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on?

It takes longer to run the spread changing plays 8 times looking back at the coach and changing it again, or some of these officials to sort out a call, or a homecoming halftime. Were talking 17 year olds here.

Taking a knee is OK, get hydrated and talk about the games next series just as you would a timeout. As for the pee wee football dad, he is a man that is coaching kids spending all his spare time and resources for the better of kids, that gets little respect.

I coached Pop Warner for 8 years in the 80s in Tyler and can tell you that the coaches in that association were stand up guys that all played ball and were incredible with kids, and teaching the game.

It was the same group that went on to JT and Lee and won a State championship and Lee kids went deep in the playoffs every year.

It was the foundation of those little league years those kids bonded together and stuck together to go on a be successful.

Never underestimate the impact a little league coach has on kids.