Taking a Knee During

tdJesus

This subject,,,, well it's just not important enough for a thread. When people start thinking and worrying about whether it makes any sense to take a knee and be respectful towards a kid who's injured,,, well I'm thinking one of the ballasts in their ship is taking on water. Seriously? Since when is being polite, or showing respect something that's assinine, or unneeded? We have far more important things in this world to be worried about. PC run amuck I'm thinkin'. People worry about stupid stuff, and if it offends people, are we that weak minded?,, but when a team does something that shows a little class,,, it's questioned? Wow,,,, IMHO,, bringing your team to the sideline,, letting them get off their feet for a few is nothing more than a timeout,,, nobody is going to get cramps from that,, if so, they are out of shape anyway, and should run bleachers for 30 minutes every day the next week. Show some class, and respect to the downed player,, and talk about what to do when play resumes,,,,,, quietly. It needs no more explanation.

• Like 3

Lol I never thought it was a sign of respect I thought coaches where trying to sneak an extra break in for their guys they run the water out and discuss things during a free time out when it's not "your guy" who got hurt but sometimes when it is. Hope I don't look crazy but teams I played for always used that injury time out to get a quick rest and regroup

Weird how folks call it a stupid topic, but still choose to click on it and even more so, still choose to make a post on the "stupid" topic. Talking about it on here isn't the really stupid part, it's having to listen to it at 3 or 4 games a year, depending on how many time I can make it to a Yoe game.

• Like 1

This subject,,,, well it's just not important enough for a thread. When people start thinking and worrying about whether it makes any sense to take a knee and be respectful towards a kid who's injured,,, well I'm thinking one of the ballasts in their ship is taking on water. Seriously? Since when is being polite, or showing respect something that's assinine, or unneeded? We have far more important things in this world to be worried about. PC run amuck I'm thinkin'. People worry about stupid stuff, and if it offends people, are we that weak minded?,, but when a team does something that shows a little class,,, it's questioned? Wow,,,, IMHO,, bringing your team to the sideline,, letting them get off their feet for a few is nothing more than a timeout,,, nobody is going to get cramps from that,, if so, they are out of shape anyway, and should run bleachers for 30 minutes every day the next week. Show some class, and respect to the downed player,, and talk about what to do when play resumes,,,,,, quietly. It needs no more explanation.

AMEN.

I think the issue the OP has is that if a team does not take a knee fans will say they are classless and I have heard that many times on the sideline, the stands and press box when a team just goes to sideline and talk with with coach.

Thank you! That is the point. I never said or implied to be classless. I am saying that taking a knee in no way shows the classiness or sportsmanship of a team or its coaches.

Thank you! That is the point. I never said or implied to be classless. I am saying that taking a knee in no way shows the classiness or sportsmanship of a team or its coaches.

Can you define for us, since you have said what showing class is not, what showing class is? This is not a shot at you, but I would like to know your beliefs in "showing class".

Can you define for us, since you have said what showing class is not, what showing class is? This is not a shot at you, but I would like to know your beliefs in "showing class".

Sure, moving out of the way to let the trainers work, staying quiet, clapping when the injured player gets up, kneel and pray if you feel inclined, maybe even tell the injured player "good luck," "God bless," etc if they are carted off.

Taking a knee, and most assuredly, screaming from the stands about the need to take said knee, are not signs of respect. All the players on the field and sideline, the cheerleaders, and the little kids working as ballboys or playing football in the grass taking a knee is not respect. It is some people's perception of respect. Like one reply said, perception can be reality, I suppose, but calling an entire program or the coaches disrespectful due to not taking a knee is a ridiculous, glass house type situation.

• Like 1

Sure, moving out of the way to let the trainers work, staying quiet, clapping when the injured player gets up, kneel and pray if you feel inclined, maybe even tell the injured player "good luck," "God bless," etc if they are carted off.

Taking a knee, and most assuredly, screaming from the stands about the need to take said knee, are not signs of respect. All the players on the field and sideline, the cheerleaders, and the little kids working as ballboys or playing football in the grass taking a knee is not respect. It is some people's perception of respect. Like one reply said, perception can be reality, I suppose, but calling an entire program or the coaches disrespectful due to not taking a knee is a ridiculous, glass house type situation.

The fact that some believe that not taking a knee is classless does not in anyway mean that those taking a knee aren't doing it out of respect. If you want to criticize those who bash players for not taking a knee, that's fine, but to say taking a knee is not a sign of respect is wrong. You do not know each player's thoughts so you can not judge how they show respect.

• Like 1

Taking a knee/removing helmet is a nice show of respect but not a requirement IMHO. As long as the players act in a quiet manner and show some consideration for the injured player,whether on a knee or standing on the sidelines, that's enough for me. Our team always takes a knee, but if it's going to be more than maybe 3-4 minutes, the coach will get everyone to the sidelines and they can conduct business quietly.

A few weeks ago one of our players took a hit to the crown of his head and they ended up taking 20-25 minutes getting him seen to and ultimately taking him to the hospital in an ambulance. Opposing team did not take a knee, but kept to themselves quietly and their fans were quiet, too. A lot of folk on our side got butt hurt about it.

My kid got knocked out cold a few years ago in a JV game and the kid that hit him (wasn't intentional) came over and patted him on the shoulder pads when he stood to walk off the field. After the game, during handshakes, the kid gave him a quick hug. IMO that's class.

Taking a knee/removing helmet is a nice show of respect but not a requirement IMHO. As long as the players act in a quiet manner and show some consideration for the injured player,whether on a knee or standing on the sidelines, that's enough for me. Our team always takes a knee, but if it's going to be more than maybe 3-4 minutes, the coach will get everyone to the sidelines and they can conduct business quietly.

A few weeks ago one of our players took a hit to the crown of his head and they ended up taking 20-25 minutes getting him seen to and ultimately taking him to the hospital in an ambulance. Opposing team did not take a knee, but kept to themselves quietly and their fans were quiet, too. A lot of folk on our side got butt hurt about it.

My kid got knocked out cold a few years ago in a JV game and the kid that hit him (wasn't intentional) came over and patted him on the shoulder pads when he stood to walk off the field. After the game, during handshakes, the kid gave him a quick hug. IMO that's class.

+1! (Ran outta likes)

A couple of years ago Waskom caught flack and the "classless" tag was cast on us for a few of the guys not taking a knee during an injury timeout against Elysian Fields. Their entire stands were yelling "TAKE A KNEE"!! I always wondered where that came from, and had thought it was a peewee thing.

A knee? We got guys boycotting the national anthem...guys doing choreographed dance routines after a simple play...and guys wanna complain about taking a knee for a injured player? What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on?

thank you....

A couple of years ago Waskom caught flack and the "classless" tag was cast on us for a few of the guys not taking a knee during an injury timeout against Elysian Fields. Their entire stands were yelling "TAKE A KNEE"!! I always wondered where that came from, and had thought it was a peewee thing.

no your classless tag came from a completely different area....your comments above simply reflect more of your character as such

The taking of a knee during the time an injured player is being tended to by school personnel, EMT,s etc., to Me & many others shows Concern, Respect, Sportsmanship & just plain old Good Manners... I don't particularly Care what anyone else wants to call it or criticize people, players , Coaches or anyone else for doing it thinks about it, it sends a good message & should continue to happen... There's Far & Away too much bad in this world today & teaching young people how to be Respectful & considerate is sadly becoming a lost art.

• Like 6

It was more than just a few kids and if I remember correctly there were a lot of Waskom fans yelling the same thing.

When I was laid out hurt(ing), I really didn't care at all what anyone else was doing other than the few tending to me. The dude laid out on the field isn't taking a look to see who is doing what, the only persons that care about this is the ones that don't matter. If you're in the stands, on the sideline, or on the field, carry on doing what you need or want to do. If the refs think someone is doing something wrong, they'll deal with it.

• Like 1

When I was laid out hurt(ing), I really didn't care at all what anyone else was doing other than the few tending to me. The dude laid out on the field isn't taking a look to see who is doing what, the only persons that care about this is the ones that don't matter. If you're in the stands, on the sideline, or on the field, carry on doing what you need or want to do. If the refs think someone is doing something wrong, they'll deal with it.

Your fans "don't matter",,, them wanting others to be respectful towards you don't matter? Maybe they should feel like:,,, "Oh,, it's just ole' so and so,,, he ain't worth a flip anyway, maybe they will put someone in his place who can play the position." If they know that you don't think they matter, they won't feel like you matter much to them either. What an attitude. Some people just don't get respect any more. Those people who don't matter, just want other people to be respectful to you, even if you don't care. Way to pay their concerns back dude for caring about you.

• Like 3

Get over yourself AnOldBuckeye, you're taking things way too literal. Wasn't at all saying the fans don't matter overall. Simply pointing out that their concern about whether other fans/players choose to take a knee does absolutely nothing for the player laid out on the field, aka "don't matter" to the well being of that player, and that player is not concerned about what anyone else is doing whether it be taking a knee, dancing, talking on their phone, going to the concession stand.....

Get over yourself AnOldBuckeye, you're taking things way too literal. Wasn't at all saying the fans don't matter overall. Simply pointing out that their concern about whether other fans/players choose to take a knee does absolutely nothing for the player laid out on the field, aka "don't matter" to the well being of that player, and that player is not concerned about what anyone else is doing whether it be taking a knee, dancing, talking on their phone, going to the concession stand.....

LOL I've been over myself for years. you have a good day sir.