Nick Saban is ruining the SEC

Mr. P

The once mighty SEC is dead... The league consists of Alabama and a whole lot of mediocre-at-best.

What was once the nation’s deepest, most competitive conference in football is a shell of itself, a parade of the down and the defeated, so far behind the Crimson Tide that this weekend’s SEC championship game is essentially an exhibition contest. Alabama can lose and still make the playoff. Florida can win and it won’t matter. We’re a long way from when the game was a de facto national semifinal, or even the championship game (2009 No. 2 Bama beat No. 1 UF).

The No. 1 suspect for the annihilation is Saban. The 65-year-old hasn’t just dominated the competition but destroyed it. It’s not just in relation to Alabama either. Yes, the Tide has run away from the pack, winning its eight league games by an average of 23.3 points. It can happen. The stunning development is that the pack has fallen apart. No one else is any good.

The "SEC" was built on the backs of Meyer and Saban to begin with.

The assumption is that the SEC would be just as dominant without the impact of Nick Saban/Urban Meyer, merely spread out among a plurality of other SEC programs.

The sec is absolutely dead. Other than Bama, I'm not sure there is a team in this conference that even finishes with a winning record in any other conference. Just trash teams. I'm willing to bet Kansas would have won the east this year...

He has killed the AFC East.

As a lifelong Dolphin fan, I can confirm this.

Year in and year out, nobody in the AFC East hopes for more than a wildcard spot. Granted, our franchise has certainly been enough of a clustertruck with or without Belicheck's help, but his reign of terror has been prohibitive in bringing in quality free agents and/or coaches because they know a minimum of two lopsided losses is all but guaranteed.

With the exception of the occasional Denver insurrection, practically the entire AFC is cowed by the Patriots.

The assumption is that the SEC would be just as dominant without the impact of Nick Saban/Urban Meyer, merely spread out among a plurality of other SEC programs.

Saban needs to do like Urban and fake a heart attack and leave the south...

Yeah... Spurrier is definitely the big name who made it possible, but it's the latter Florida and now 'Bama dynasties that have solidified it. Not to mention some consistently impressive LSU and (occasionally) Auburn squads.

Yeah... Spurrier is definitely the big name who made it possible, but it's the latter Florida and now 'Bama dynasties that have solidified it. Not to mention some consistently impressive LSU and (occasionally) Auburn squads.

UGA and South Carolina have been solid, Florida, Alabama, LSU, and Auburn have held the conference up on the podium. Tennessee and Ole Miss consistently poops their pants. And I am not even referring to titles with them... they have all of these great classes and coaches, yet struggle to win 7 games... that is a problem when 4 of your wins in the SEC non-conference can be gimmes and for Tenn you have played Vandy and Kentucky yearly while they were average to bad.

Conferences are going to have up years and down years, and I don't think it's all Saban's fault. Right now this is how I'd rank the Conferences :

1. B1G

2. SEC

3. Pac 12

4. Big X(II) - Only because of OU, West Virginia, and OSU.

5. ACC - All they have is Clemson and FSU. Louisville fell out with their loss to Kentucky ???

The SEC isn't king anymore, but I don't see them falling as far as some are claiming.

Is the Big10 really any better Michigan and Ohio State are the class but Wisconsin Michigan State Nebraska are second tier I mean it's all subject to opinion . EVERY POWER FIVE conference has a team or two who could have a run Either Ohio St. , Michigan, Penn State , Washington , Colorado, USC, Alabama(Only sec team worthy this year) Clemson, (Only Acc worthy) I don't like the idea of 8 teams but 6 with the top 2 getting a bye and leaving an at large for a non power five

Is the Big10 really any better Michigan and Ohio State are the class but Wisconsin Michigan State Nebraska are second tier I mean it's all subject to opinion . EVERY POWER FIVE conference has a team or two who could have a run Either Ohio St. , Michigan, Penn State , Washington , Colorado, USC, Alabama(Only sec team worthy this year) Clemson, (Only Acc worthy) I don't like the idea of 8 teams but 6 with the top 2 getting a bye and leaving an at large for a non power five

Here's the thing about the B10 that makes them the best.

Their top tier would be Michigan and Ohio St... SEC has bama, the PAC has Washington.... So essentially that could almost be a tie with the B10 and SEC, but seeing that the B10 has 2 legit schools that could hang with anyone at the top right now gives them a slight advantage.

The B10 middle tier blows everyone away. Penn St, Nebraska and Wisconsin... SEC is Florida, LSU, A&M and Auburn... Who if all 3 combined their rosters may score 14 points against any of the B10 or SEC top tier schools...

The SEC def has the better bottom tier... seeing Georgia, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Miss St, Tennessee etc at the bottom of the SEC list this year really tells you how down the conference is. Until UGA and another East school could legitimately challenge any potential champion in the west, the SEC will remain the 2nd best conference in terms of football play on the field.