Coach fired for playing an ineligible player

MrBuddyGarrity

Sounds like someone reported his "inducements for athletic purposes" after last season. He was declared ineligible before the season started. Coach played him anyway. Kid claims he had no idea he was not eligible. Coach got fired for blatantly playing someone who has been ineligible for months. Seems like a no-brainer.

Glad I didn't ask that question.. Hahahaha.. I was going to but thought just maybe tapps had governance rules of some sorts.. Hahahaha

No doubt some of these guys are too serious about stuff. I guess he is supposed to get fired for that? Wonde if that's a school policy or just a reaction to the violation.

From the article he was fired for playing a player that before the season TAPPS had ruled was ineligible.

"St. Anthony principal Rene Escobedo said Thursday that Merritt was fired because he chose to put Bassey on the court. The Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools, the organization in which the Catholic school competes in athletics, ruled before the season that Bassey and two first-year St. Anthony students were ineligible for receiving inducements for athletic purposes."

Yea but I don't think TAPPS can fire the coach. I was just wondering if that was a school policy or just a reason to get rid of him.

They closed the comments quick on that one, and cleared the article pretty much.

If he's ineligible this year, wouldn't that have made him ineligible last year in the semi game in 5a. Forfeiture coming? For the previous playoff games and dist games last year?