Carthage vs China Spring

CarthDawg77

Carthage vs. China Spring  

98 members have voted

1. 1. State semifinals. Who wins?

The China Spring Cougars team is 13-1, having split its 2 games with district rival Waco La Vega.

Today's win over La Vega in the state quarterfinals was a rematch of last year's regional championship game, which La Vega won 20-7 one week before meeting Carthage in the state semifinals. That loss was 1 of 2 to La Vega in its 12-2 campaign.

So, one has to go back to 2014 to find a China Spring loss to anyone other than La Vega.

FWIW, Friday Night Football Texas (FNF) had China Spring ranked 5th, behind La Vega (2nd) and ahead of Carthage (7th), in its preseason Class 4A state rankings

Top Players:

RB/WR Keaton Dudik, 5-9, 165, 4.4. SR - a big-play threat; had 2,200 rushing yards (157 a game) and 540 receiving yards (39 a game) last year; named to the Class 4A Preseason All-State Team by both Dave Campbell's Texas Football (DCTF) and FNF; according to the latter, "His speed, elusiveness, and versatility has college scouts lining up..."

QB Cutter Haigood, 6-0, 190, 4.5, SR - a dual threat; moved over from WR this year based on his "leadership, experience, and playmaking ability" per FNF

WR Brett Cain, 6-5, 205, 4.7, SR - massive target

ILB Brayden Mathis, 6-2, 205, 4.8, JR - averaged over 12 tackles a game in his sophomore season; was the district's preseason MVP according to DCTF [remember that this district includes La Vega]

Don't know much about CS but if they are 1 deminsional the Dawgs will win.

Carthage 33

CS 21

I saw CS early in the season and they looked pretty good across the board, definitely not one dimensional. They have very good size at all skill positions, tall receivers, good looking QB and RB. Nothing flashy, but they looked solid at all positions. I'm definitely going with the winner of this game to take the SC.

Don't know much about CS but if they are 1 deminsional the Dawgs will win.

Carthage 33

CS 21

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here, people... These guys just sent a team home that lost ONE game in TWO years & who was the 2015 state Champion in 4A HSFB... That's someone worth a WHOLE HEAP of Respect. Didn't Matter WHO won that game today, Carthage is in for a Battle Royal, Wherever it takes place! I don't think Anyone gets to this stage of the game being one demensional...
  • Like 1

Isn't China Spring relatively new on the scene as a real contender? I'm thinking maybe that's why they haven't met. Also, not sure how the two have lined up classification wise over the years because CS has been growing and moving up classifications for the past number of years.

They played for a title in 2007 against Celina. They were old 3a then. 12-2 last year, and 13-1 this year. I think they are petty good.
  • Like 1

Isn't China Spring relatively new on the scene as a real contender? I'm thinking maybe that's why they haven't met. Also, not sure how the two have lined up classification wise over the years because CS has been growing and moving up classifications for the past number of years.

No they made it to the quarters last year only too lose by the best team in the state.

No they made it to the quarters last year only too lose by the best team in the state.

Yeah, but according to JJ, Arp makes it to the quarters every year and few outside of Arp, those that live in the real world, believe them to be true contenders until this year possibly.

They are big time good. Look at how they beat LH this year.

It will be the best coached team Carthage has faced all year.

Yeah, but Liberty Hill was big time average this year. Saw LH play two games and they are a shadow of their former selves. They will bump up to 5A next reallignment and they are really going to be in trouble if they don't come up with something other than the old wing-t that worked for them in 3A.

China Spring 2016 Results:

Non-District

Won 49-12 over Lorena (8-4) - Lorena was a district champion in Class 4A Div.II; lost by 15 to La Vega the week after its 37-point loss to China Spring

Won 55-8 over Huntsville (4-6) - Huntsville, a Class 5A team, was the only larger school China Spring played in non-district

Won 63-13 over Cameron Yoe (11-3) - A Class 3A Division I team, Yoe finished 2nd in its district and was eliminated from the playoffs last night by Malakoff 37-34

​Won 70-14 over Troy (5-6) - Troy finished 4th in its Class 3A Division I district

Won 56-19 over Fairfield (2-8) - Fairfield, a member of Lorena's district, lost by 17 to La Vega

District

Won 49-13 over Burnet (7-4) - Burnet finished 4th in the district; lost by 21 to La Vega

Lost 17-10 to La Vega (13-1) - La Vega needs no introduction

Won 46-21 over Gatesville (4-6) - Gatesville lost by 28 to La Vega

​Won 42-10 over Liberty Hill (8-4) - Liberty Hill lost by 14 to La Vega

Won 38-20 over Lampasas (1-9) - Lampasas lost by 19 to La Vega

Playoffs

Won 32-10 over Boerne (6-5) - Boerne finished 3rd in a 5-team district

Won 55-7 over Grulla (7-4) - Grulla went undefeated in its district

Won 52-21 over Liberty Hill (8-4) - Liberty Hill lost only 1 game to a team outside its district

​Won 21-10 over La Vega (13-1) - La Vega's loss today broke a 29-game winning streak

• Like 1